Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big Jugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
Please forgive my mechanical ignorance, but what exactly are "jugs" on the engine? When you put larger jugs on an engine for more power, exactly what does that mean and by how much power does it increase?

Jgilliam914
Jugs.... Pistons and cylinders= displacement + Horsepower ..How much is determined by size of Jugs and compression for starters.
tumamilhem
What would be the largest size jugs to install? Where/how can I identify them? Are they actually "jugs"? Sorry for my ignorance.

Is compression for starter different from engine compression?

I think my compression is low. When I had it towed and put it in 1st gear, it still rolled backwards.
r_towle
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/
Dave_Darling
"Jugs" is a nickname for the cylinders.

I think I have heard of 107mm cylinders at one point. The largest common size is 105mm. They're a whole lot of work to fit, and they require significant machining of the case and heads to even fit at all. Let alone work to flow enough air to adequately fill the cylinders. And work to make sure it stays together for a little while.

The general consensus is if you go larger than 96mm cylinders, you either spend the big $$ for the Nikasil-plated aluminum cylinders, or you live with the idea that you'll be rebuilding very frequently. The big cast-iron cylinders don't seem to be made that well, and they don't shed heat as well as aluminum does.

The cast-iron 96mm cylinders can work pretty well. With the stock 1.7 or 1.8 crank (66mm stroke), they give you 1911cc displacement. With the 2.0 crank (71mm) you get 2056cc.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.