Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine seals and gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CTDan914
Can the average joe replace the seals and gaskets on a 75 2.0? Now this average joe has never worked on a VW motor but has worked on a number of motors.
Mine has an oil leak and I'm leaning to fixing it vs giving it to a machanic.
type47
Will the average Joe do an engine drop? When I think of replacing seals, I think of oil cooler gaskets and pushrod tube o-rings/seals. These can be done by an average Joe with the engine in the car. PIA but do-able. Front and rear crankshaft seals would best be done with an engine drop (takes less time with the engine out than if you tried to replace them with the engine in; you have to remove trans and flywheel to get to the rear seal. Maybe you should pinpoint your leaks and address them one at a time ... Plenty of free advice/help here ...
r_towle
biggest leakers are the push rod tubes.

Those can be done in the car.

I would suggest you do those, clean the motor and see how you did.

Most of the majore leaks are from the push rod tubes and the valve cover gaskets...

Basic stuff like the oil temp sender sealing system (optional)
and the sump strainer are all easy to do and should be done under typical normal maintenance.

The other large leaker can be the oil coller seals and they can also be done in the car, but it is faster to drop the motor to do those.

Rich
CTDan914
Looks like I need to get a couple of good manuals.
This Spring I hope to be able start working on these leaks. I will also need to get the car up high enough to work comfortable under it.

a
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.