Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: parasitic battery drain on truck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
My truck drains the battery when sitting. There is a constant .8A draw. (It's a '77, no electronic brains or acessories or stuck trunk lights, etc.)
Trying to isolate circuit by pulling fuses until it stops. Nada... nothing fused is the source. Finally found it drops when I remove the main alternator connector.

Would it be likely that something in the alternator itself is bad and drawing current, or something upstream?

Hey Troy, I seem to remember you talking about alternator diodes relating to parasitic drains? Been to long ago to recall.

Any ideas come to mind for what to check next?
Black22
Yes, when a diode dies, the alternator may still charge a battery or keep the car running, but will reverse the flow when engine is off and drain the battery slowly.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Black22 @ Mar 2 2013, 12:15 PM) *

Yes, when a diode dies, the alternator may still charge a battery or keep the car running, but will reverse the flow when engine is off and drain the battery slowly.

agree.gif

Bad alternator. 0.3A is about the maximum allowable drain if you have EFI, Clock, CD player, etc...
Tom
Or carbon dust build up from the brushes mixed with oil vapor. Remove the brushes and wash the area as much as possible with electrical cleaner, blow out with compressed air and check again. If still draining, try washing around the diode pack and blow out that area also.
Tom
messix
if you have a fancy dancy multi meter you can do a ripple test to prove 1 or more failed diods.

http://www.labscopes.com/index_files/Page441.htm
6freak
might sound silly !but make sure your brake light switch is working proper ...good luck smile.gif
Black22
QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 2 2013, 07:00 PM) *

might sound silly !but make sure your brake light switch is working proper ...good luck smile.gif

I'm curious about that comment... idea.gif What do you mean?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.