Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rearview mirror question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adiokyro
Hello-
setting up a passenger mirror for my 73 with a stock 914 driver side mirror. the mirrors two swivels are not frozen which is cool, but I thought id take it all apart anyway to restore----however, once I unscrew the nut at the base, the base still wont slide off and it looks like theres maybe some round nut in there that you cant unscrew---any ideas how to get the base off? Also anyone have a source or want to sell a set of the chrome bolts (are they called cheese screws?) that hold the mirror to the door? thatnks!!! bye1.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Mar 2 2013, 07:15 PM) *

Hello-
setting up a passenger mirror for my 73 with a stock 914 driver side mirror. the mirrors two swivels are not frozen which is cool, but I thought id take it all apart anyway to restore----however, once I unscrew the nut at the base, the base still wont slide off and it looks like theres maybe some round nut in there that you cant unscrew---any ideas how to get the base off? Also anyone have a source or want to sell a set of the chrome bolts (are they called cheese screws?) that hold the mirror to the door? thatnks!!! bye1.gif

The term is "cheeshead" screws, but can you be a little clearer with the question. Sorry, I'm old, but couldn't follow..............
adiokyro
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 2 2013, 06:38 PM) *

QUOTE(adiokyro @ Mar 2 2013, 07:15 PM) *

Hello-

The term is "cheeshead" screws, but can you be a little clearer with the question. Sorry, I'm old, but couldn't follow..............

sorry Ill post a pic tomorrow
Dave_Darling
The same screws are used to hold the latches onto the doors.

Someone around here found some stainless near-equivalents. He posted a picture in the last couple of weeks. I believe that they're standard M6 screws with a lens-shaped head. Chromed for the stock ones.

I'm thinking about trying to find some longer ones, because I think the threads in my door are a little soft and another nut might help.

--DD
76-914
Put Carrie on it, she's our "screw expert". biggrin.gif
wes
Oh oh I can see where this is going
adiokyro
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 3 2013, 07:30 AM) *

Put Carrie on it, she's our "screw expert". biggrin.gif

k whats her number ? ; )
adiokyro
oh hey I think I found these screws for 25 cents a piece on pelican "914 hardware"
heres the link:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...inc%20Plated%20
Drums66
....Siverson, had a thread on some "cool" allan head screws?(for that purpose)
check it out! bye1.gif
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.