Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First AX in a week - tips and hints?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
tadink
Hey all -

the car is ready for my fist AX - and I'm jazzed.

any tips / hints / resources for getting up that learning curve any faster?

driving a 914 1.7L, f'glass flares, continental 17's all around

thanks in advance....

td
Trekkor
Get there early.

Walk the course.
Get an instructor.
Brake in a straight line.
Turn and apply throttle smoothly.
Look ahead.
Remove your stock seat cushion and move the seat a little farther forward than you normally would.

That's enough for your first event.

KT
Woody
agree.gif

Walk the course several times. See if you can hitch a ride with a more experienced driver. Just take it easy your first few times out and get a feel for the car and the course. Have fun and welcome to the addiction. It's a slippery slope.
6freak
Just have fun driving.gif
smile.gif
ww914
Being new to AX myself having only done three, the abosute best advice here is to let them know that you are new and request an instructor. If nothing else, he/she will show you where the course is. Walking it is also good, but it won't look the same when you get behind the wheel. Good luck and have fun!

Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 2 2013, 06:08 PM) *

agree.gif

Walk the course several times. See if you can hitch a ride with a more experienced driver. Just take it easy your first few times out and get a feel for the car and the course. Have fun and welcome to the addiction. It's a slippery slope.

"Just take it easy your first few times"

Right I was thinking the same thing my first time, until the starter flag dropped. biggrin.gif
J P Stein

One thing I told every newbie, "You have to know where you are going before you can go fast and at the next AX the course will be different." Course walks are NOT a social event. I often hunkered down the get a drivers' view of a section.

In my years of insructing, I ran into one "natural"...... he had several years of karting. I know of no shortcuts....just look, listen, and enjoy the ride ....... it will come.

yeahmag
Trekkor hit them all. The only other thing I'd mention it slow is fast. Do not over drive the car.
tadink
thanks you guys - I'll do all of the above and report back! td
Woody
popcorn[1].gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 3 2013, 11:10 AM) *

"You have to know where you are going before you can go fast ..."

This IMO is the most important thing for a noob at AX.
Focus on understanding how the cones are laid out and where course goes.
I've seen more people give up because they got lost out there in the "sea of cones".
Staying on course on the first run is far more important than trying to get to the end quickly.
Once you have the confidence that you are able to navigate successfully then work on techniques for going faster.
Krieger
Don't forget to empty your car of stuff that can fly around. Make sure your battery is secure, front wheel bearings tight. When they tech your car they will give your front wheels a shaking.
JimN73
I've just signed up for the Redwood Region opener on Saturday. So far, there are 17 entries, 4 914s and 5 drivers. Where is everyone else?
Krieger
I've been going for years and I've just shown up. Maybe a new thing to get people out, but not mandatory.
JimN73
That works. I like to preregister when I can because I don't like standing in lines.
Chris Pincetich
Buy this book and enjoy reading it beerchug.gif
http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Solo-Racing-...g/dp/0962057312
PlaysWithCars
Great advice above. I'll reiterate a few and add one or two:
- slow is fast (you'll be amazed how true this is when you figure autox out)
- walk the course, multiple times, with an instructor if possible
- don't be too proud to laugh at yourself, learn something, and have fun. You will make mistakes and no one cares. You're learning.
- you have a momentum car. The fast way around the course is to link every event to the next with a smooth flow. Don't over drive the car.
- turn arounds (~180deg turns) are evil. If the front end is pushing you're going too fast. Be patient, they take forever to get around.
tadink
Hey all -

what a great time! wowza - toooo much fun.

got there early and walked the course with JimN73 from above - and a couple of other teener drivers. Great exchange of info and all were very helpful. Then walked the course with Redwood 914 owner / driver / instructor Bob who talked the newbies thru the course in great detail.

I squatted down to get a feel for what it looked like from the driver's seat vs. standing up - and that helped a LOT.

first run with instructor bob in the passenger seat - took it slowly to learn the course.

2nd thru 6th also had Bob in the car - and aside from hitting some cones my time gradually improved. Final run was solo - best time of the day but still over 10% off the big kids. No matter - I was grinning from ear to ear.

Car performed well - I'm sitting a little high and need to lower front and rear to get the mass down a bit. Running 17" wheels and 255/40 on the rear and 205/50 on the front....LOTS of rubber on the ground but found I was over-inflated for the first few runs, gradually decreased tire pressure thru the day and wound up at 30psi on the front, 32 psi on the rears. ContiSports all around.

So - I learned that I can go a LOT faster than I thought I could. I was over-breaking in prep for the sharper corners. I did get a little loose a couple of times and even came thru the finish line sideways - so I think I was aggressive enough!

Lots of learning to go - and I will certainly be back out there! just great to feel how connected these cars are - and to see the vast range of vehicles / driving skills making their way around the course.

anyone who has NOT done this - you should go for it. more fun than you can imagine and no one had "attitude".

Thanks everyone for all the help -

td
Woody
QUOTE(tadink @ Mar 11 2013, 04:49 PM) *

Hey all -

got there early and walked the course with JimN73 from above - and a couple of other teener drivers. Great exchange of info and all were very helpful. Then walked the course with Redwood 914 owner / driver / instructor Bob who talked the newbies thru the course in great detail.

I squatted down to get a feel for what it looked like from the driver's seat vs. standing up - and that helped a LOT.

first run with instructor bob in the passenger seat - took it slowly to learn the course.

2nd thru 6th also had Bob in the car - and aside from hitting some cones my time gradually improved. Final run was solo - best time of the day but still over 10% off the big kids. No matter - I was grinning from ear to ear.

Car performed well - I'm sitting a little high and need to lower front and rear to get the mass down a bit. Running 17" wheels and 255/40 on the rear and 205/50 on the front....LOTS of rubber on the ground but found I was over-inflated for the first few runs, gradually decreased tire pressure thru the day and wound up at 30psi on the front, 32 psi on the rears. ContiSports all around.

So - I learned that I can go a LOT faster than I thought I could. I was over-breaking in prep for the sharper corners. I did get a little loose a couple of times and even came thru the finish line sideways - so I think I was aggressive enough!

Lots of learning to go - and I will certainly be back out there! just great to feel how connected these cars are - and to see the vast range of vehicles / driving skills making their way around the course.

anyone who has NOT done this - you should go for it. more fun than you can imagine and no one had "attitude".

td

Uh oh, and so it begins. unsure.gif
JimN73
I told Tim that the Redwood Region is just the beginning. If he's prepared to drive 90 minutes or so, there is the Golden Gate Region and the Sacramento Valley Region. Another 90 minutes and Loma Prieta Region.

Golden Gate, my region, is this weekend and Loma Prieta the following. If he really gets hooked, there's SCCA.
Randal
QUOTE(tadink @ Mar 11 2013, 02:49 PM) *

Hey all -

td

They have great courses up at Redwood. Great facility and nice people.
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and don't worry about where you finish. Just get a bunch of seat time and ride with instructors whenever you can.
Chris Pincetich
Yeah, when they do the finish line just after that corner, and the street tires are getting warm and greasy, that "sideways finish" happens when you're pushing the limits.
My schedule is soooo busy lately I sure hope I can make it to a NorCal AX this Spring.

March 16 is out - I'll be here instead http://www.seaturtles.org/article.php?id=2431
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.