Full Version: -6 Advertised at 8.00am sold by 7.30pm @$45k
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phillstek
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-car...-6-alabama.html

Nice car sold in an instant ...wayyy too cheap imho
carr914
Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Bs. Ok it's a nice car, but yellow, with a 3.0, and $45k. At some level, you have to put a 997 S next to it and go confused24.gif

Still love the 914 and all, but really?
billh1963
QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 3 2013, 07:53 AM) *

Bs. Ok it's a nice car, but yellow, with a 3.0, and $45k. At some level, you have to put a 997 S next to it and go confused24.gif

I have to agree...that's why we will see the 356/early 911/914-6 bubble burst soon.

356's and early 911's are not rare and 914-6's aren't as rare as many collectibles. At that price you are getting close to 993 C4S and C2S range as well as a 996 GT3. Look at what happened to the Ferrari market back in the early 1990's and the Hemi market just a couple years ago. All superheated markets burst at some point. The trick is knowing when to sell and/or buy.....
carr914
I think you are incorrect on the Bubble-Burst. A lot of the economy is still in the dumper & P-Car prices are rising. Wait til people have some money to spend
Cairo94507
Yeah....I have to disagree. I am on my 3rd real Six, though mine is in pieces in VA at present.

I think it is entirely a different experience than a Carrera. I also have a '10 C4S 6 speed coupe and have had many other 911's including the 993. I like my 997 but do not feel about it the way I feel about my Six.

For me there is nothing else that fills that need. I know I am probably weird but the Six will always be the car for me.
RON S.
Same Story for me.

I bought my -6 almost 20 years ago now. I paid almost nothing for it, because it was in so bad a shape as to render it almost worthless.

I bought it cause it was rare, and the serial#s were intact.
I knew even back then that rare equaled $$$$$, but I knew I had a lot of work to do to get it up to respectability to equal those $$$$.

I've drove other Porsche models since then, but I agree that nothing compares to the feeling of taking the -6 out for a sprint on the back roads, or the freeway.

As for the values, most -6's are 43 years old now, and never going to get younger. The values are rising accordingly, as the 914's are now a respectable Porsche collectable, and not saddled with the VW mutt stigma anymore.

The bubble may one day burst, but I wouldn't hold my breath as a potential buyer, thinking that the day will ever return when a good 914/6 driver will ever be available again in the low teens...
MDG
I'd trade my Carrera S for a good 914-6 in a heartbeat.
mepstein
Still probably cost less than a full restoration on a rusty 914-4
toolguy
We're already past the point where previously 'junked' Sixs have been resurrected because of their potential . . .Rust buckets vin numbers with 'new' bodies have reappeared. . . We are today at the place in time where in 20 years from now, you'll look back and say "I remember when you could actually buy a real factory six" . . . . .

As in today I am able to say, "I remember when you could go to a regular Ford dealer and buy a real Shelby AC/Cobra". . .. and that was in 1964-5 for $7500 .

Should of, would of, could of. .
billh1963
I'm not saying the the bubble is here. I am saying that I believe at some point the prices will climb to the point that buyers/speculators will look elsewhere.

Naturally, once the prices come down they will not reset to the earlier levels. No one will expect a real 914-6 to be $15K or $20K again. However, the prices will come down from whatever peak they hit. The other factor that will contribute to a price drop is the age of the buying group. As we age and drive off into the sunset, our children will cherish the cars of their youth...not ours. Look at the Model T, model, '50's cars, etc....they all go through that cycle.

Will cars of significant history or rarity always be expensive? Sure..a Porsche 550 always be outrageously expensive as well as the Ferrari GTO, Bugatti Royale, etc. The cars that I don't think will maintain this lofty status are the pedestrian cars...356, early 911, etc.

Time will tell which of us are correct.......
doorknobcollector
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 3 2013, 10:05 AM) *

I'm not saying the the bubble is here. I am saying that I believe at some point the prices will climb to the point that buyers/speculators will look elsewhere.

Naturally, once the prices come down they will not reset to the earlier levels. No one will expect a real 914-6 to be $15K or $20K again. However, the prices will come down from whatever peak they hit. The other factor that will contribute to a price drop is the age of the buying group. As we age and drive off into the sunset, our children will cherish the cars of their youth...not ours. Look at the Model T, model, '50's cars, etc....they all go through that cycle.

Will cars of significant history or rarity always be expensive? Sure..a Porsche 550 always be outrageously expensive as well as the Ferrari GTO, Bugatti Royale, etc. The cars that I don't think will maintain this lofty status are the pedestrian cars...356, early 911, etc.

Time will tell which of us are correct.......

As a 356 guy, which I inherited from my Dad, I have to say I think everybody here brought up some good points, but the truth is somewhere in between. The 356 bubble will burst first, as there is not enough new blood coming into the hobby to justify the dizzy prices for all but the rarest cars. The more pedestrian 356's will certainly fall off a bit. Just look at 356 registry meets--the average age is somewhere around 70...

For 914's, my crystal ball tells me that they have about 20 years left before any bubble bursting happens on -6 cars. As a child of the 80's, I remember seeing 914s as the porsche I really wanted, 911's were for lawyers. Now that my generation has the means (economy aside), I think 914s will keep climbing until my generation are too old to mess with them any more.

For the example of Model T's falling off, I think it has more to do with the fact that they are not actually useable as a car by all but the most masochistic of people, which has contributed to the extreme drops in price from where they once were. I know a guy who just buys up really nice examples from estate sales and uses them in parades.
larryM
rare vs value is always an passionate & somewhat interesting discussion

check this op-ed by Martin Swig collector cars as investments

and this thread - What is Rare
Porsche passion is an irrational value factor

if we make a 911 Porsche comparo - a #1 restored '67 911 recently brought $100K in the big auctions - and it is well known by us all that it cost at least $100K to do that resto - after the acquisition cost

so get this one while you can - '69 911

or this one 71 Targa 45k

- a worn out carrera with 230K miles on it for 18-22K (asking) - and we ALL know it will cost another 10-12K just to fix the motor pretty soon and another 4-5K to fix the trans - to achieve a average market value of $25K after the $6K repaint (well, we all know that if only we have ever actually done a Porsche resto or rebuild & written the checks)

- i did sell one of those rust-bucket serial number projects 4 yrs ago for $6K - it WAS completely original - as if that matters on a car rusted thru from the bottom (an ex Alaska ice racer) - (i did keep a few unobtainium items from it) i shouldn't be surprised to see it on eBay for $60K some day soon, eh? santa_smiley.gif

Porsche passion is irrational

... $45K cash in hand at my carport tomorrow? - bring your trailer. please - and take your choice of a 3.2 or a correct-original type with webers - heck I would even consider a nice 84-89 carrera or 330i in trade

you even get a genuine German Title with it - how cool is that? Sixer

Hey - i don't even care if you triple your $45K investment in 6 weeks selling it to Europe - go for it
Jake Raby
I deal with a lot of 356 owners and while many do share the demographic that doorknobcollector posted there is also another group that is keeping the movement going.

These are the people like me and they own a 356 for the same reasons I do, and want more performance from it. A solid 1/2 of my engine build list right now is comprised of 356 owners and those people aren't in their 70s, they are in their 40s and 50s and want to drive and use the car.

It took the 914 way too long to become appreciated and there are many reasons for that. People seem to have bitched in the past because 914s were bad investments and didn't bring any money, today they are bitching because the cars are bringing too much money and aren't affordable for the regular old Joe. People will always bitch.

I wouldn't mind having another 914 now, back when I had one I felt like spending any money on it was like throwing it away. When I sold that car I barely broke even, and out of the over 500 cars/ things I have owned with wheels I have owned over the years the only thing I have ever lost money on was an RV. Today I'd feel pretty good that a 914 was an investment :-)
Gint
All I know is... I used to think I'd never get close to my money back when my 6 restoration is finished. I don't worry about that so much any more. smile.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 3 2013, 11:39 AM) *

All I know is... I used to think I'd never get close to my money back when my 6 restoration is finished. I don't worry about that so much any more. smile.gif

Exactly. Thats the way I feel with my 356, no matter what it cost to finish it, it'll be worth it.
doorknobcollector

Jake, I agree there is a newer generation getting into 356s, of which I would count myself (to be fair I have been brainwashed by my dad since day 1-- he claims "Porsche" was my first word). I think they are behind some of the cooler things going on with the 356 hobby, like putting in one of your engines. Hell, I would put one in my cab (inherited, I could never afford one now, in my line of work) if I didn't blow all my allowance on 914s.

But I think (and by all means let me know if you disagree) these modified cars are not the ones bringing crazy money. I think it is the concours contingent that is causing the "bubble" in 356 prices, and from my observations (completely scientific) this seems mostly to be the older 356'ers. It is my opinion that eventually that inflation will stop or at least level out (except for the Carreras, Abarths, most Speedsters, etc). I hope that the more accessible modified cars will stay within reach (less than my mortgage anyway) and help keep the 356 hobby from going all Pebble Beachy.

As far as 914s go, I am buying up all the rust buckets I can find, just because I remember my dad bitchin about how cheap Speedsters were in the 60s and 70s, wishing he would have kept a few. I know it is apples and oranges comparing 356s to 914s, but if nothing else 914s make better back yard art than the made in China crap my wife buys to decorate aktion035.gif
Kraftwerk
Its a global market these days. As long as the German economy hums along, the used Porsche market will stay healthy. Especially for a totaly stock item.
Jake Raby
But I think (and by all means let me know if you disagree) these modified cars are not the ones bringing crazy money. I think it is the concours contingent that is causing the "bubble" in 356 prices, and from my observations (completely scientific) this seems mostly to be the older 356'ers. It is my opinion that eventually that inflation will stop or at least level out (except for the Carreras, Abarths, most Speedsters, etc). I hope that the more accessible modified cars will stay within reach (less than my mortgage anyway) and help keep the 356 hobby from going all Pebble Beachy.

The reason why my engine choice has become so popular with the 356 is because it does not require ANY "conversion" to be carried out. No cutting, mo mods and it even uses the stock starter and engine bay seal as the TIV engine is more narrow than the 356.

Since we have the T4 with the DTM built into a bolt in affair thats non-invasive the concourse cars are seeing the engines and the original engines are being "pickled". Here is a good example.

Under here is a 2270, 190HP Raby TIV. Thats even my version 2 DTM.
IPB Image

And here it is at the Dana Pointe Concourse
IPB Image

We are building an engine now for a '56 Speedster thats going to be all original except the engine.. The owner already owns a Raby T4 powered 356 Outlaw.

Because it all just bolts in to the 741 tranny, the fact that its not original is absolutely nil :-)

My 356 is a different story... Its built to piss off purist worldwide. I proudly "ruined" a 356.
IPB Image
RickS
Low mileage '72 and '73 911Ss in near mint condition are currently selling just north of $200K. That's not exactly chump change. I am currently restoring my 73S (not low mileage and does not have a numbers matching tranny) but the rest of the car is currently being restored to Driver 1 condtion and I still expect it to fetch a good sum. It will probably go to a European buyer since they are snapping them up like popcorn. You need to check the major auction center sites and 911 centric-boards to see what these cars are really fetching. If and when the economy really recovers they may be worth a bit more. The value of the S's are pulling up the Es and Ts as well. 911s have always been the under appreciated classics and they are finally being recognized for what they are.

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 3 2013, 05:53 AM) *

I have to agree...that's why we will see the 356/early 911/914-6 bubble burst soon.

356's and early 911's are not rare and 914-6's aren't as rare as many collectibles. At that price you are getting close to 993 C4S and C2S range as well as a 996 GT3. Look at what happened to the Ferrari market back in the early 1990's and the Hemi market just a couple years ago. All superheated markets burst at some point. The trick is knowing when to sell and/or buy.....

RickS
Click to view attachment

Low mileage '72 and '73 911Ss in near mint condition are currently selling just north of $200K. That's not exactly chump change. I am currently restoring my 73S (not low mileage and does not have a numbers matching tranny) but the rest of the car is currently being restored to Driver 1 condtion and I still expect it to fetch a good sum. It will probably go to a European buyer since they are snapping them up like popcorn. You need to check the major auction center sites and 911 centric-boards to see what these cars are really fetching. If and when the economy really recovers they may be worth a bit more. The value of the S's are pulling up the Es, Ts and 914-6s as well. 911s have always been the under appreciated classics and they are finally being recognized for what they are.

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 3 2013, 05:53 AM) *

pete000
I said the 914-6 would hit 100K 4 years ago to laughter. Whose laughing now.

I had a friend who purchased a 73 911 S all numbers matching in near mint cond. for 32K 9 yrs ago and I laughed, whose laughing now...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.