Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: are head bolt washers special?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I need to get a few headbolt washers to finish bolting the heads back on my t4 short block.
Some idiot used several of the head bolt washers as spacers when the short block was mounted on the engine stand. I'd like to kick that guy right now.

Any way, I'm going to head to True Value and get some M10 washers. Are the VW washers special in some way?

Zach
(who is ALWAYS thinking ahead, clearly.)
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 3 2013, 07:55 AM) *

I need to get a few headbolt washers to finish bolting the heads back on my t4 short block.
Some idiot used several of the head bolt washers as spacers when the short block was mounted on the engine stand. I'd like to kick that guy right now.

Any way, I'm going to head to True Value and get some M10 washers. Are the VW washers special in some way?

Zach
(who is ALWAYS thinking ahead, clearly.)

morning Zack good to see you working today. it appears to me the true value hardened washers ought to be about the same... hard to see how much different it might make...good luck.
McMark
You should be fine. The case through bolt washers are special, so I can identify those easily. The head washers don't have any obvious identifying features.
stugray
It is not that easy to find hardened washers at HD or Ace that have the same OD.

It might not make a difference, but you will be lucky to find that same ID/OD combo.

Stu
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 3 2013, 11:16 AM) *

You should be fine. The case through bolt washers are special, so I can identify those easily. The head washers don't have any obvious identifying features.

The washers I am talking about are the studs that go from the case through the cylinders and into the heads. Just want to be sure that I am not talking about the case through bolt washers that you are saying are special.

The hardware store was closed on Sundays. So Ihave to wait till tomorrow to try and find them, or just deal with dropping the engine off the stand to recover the washers I need.

Zach
McMark
I just threw that in there to confuse you. Bwahahahaha! happy11.gif

But I can't find any documentation of the head washers being special, nor do they appear special from my visual experience. They could be hardened, but I don't really see why they would be.
mrbubblehead
those washers are thicker than a typical washer. for what reason i dont know. but the are definitely thicker.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.