Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear 5 lug conversion with 100mm SC CV's?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
I've got a line on a cheap set of 911 SC axles w/ the 6 bolt stub axle. I'm assuming that means they will have the newer 100mm CV's. I can purchase all the way to the hub. So assuming I can track down a pair of 6 bolt course spline flanges, I'd be looking at an eric shea style rear conversion for pretty cheap.

1) so, can I use these hubs? I think I read that you have to use a pre-74 911 hub to match our rear bearing properly. Can anyone confirm that?

2) If that's so will the earlier hub mate with the later stub just fine?

3) Will everything line up with my stock calipers? I want to keep the stock hand brake.

anything else to consider before I send my money on these later axles?
larryM
Patrick MS sells a hub adapter - sometimes it's on eBay
matthepcat
I think the carerra hubs require a spacer:
IPB Image

IPB Image

You should be able to source the 915 trans output shafts from parts heaven or others.

Not sure about axle length though, as many have taken 914 axles and removed enough material to accept the 100mm CV.
bradtho
thanks guys. putting these 2 replies together looks like Patrick MS sells the spacers to do this.

The axle length will be another issue. The folks doing the 100mm CV conversion in other threads are using 944 CV's since the axle uses the same spline count as a 914. The 911 CV's use a different spline count and axle length isn't correct, so you sub in a custom length 911 axle (from sway-a-way).

Eric gives a nice full recipe for how to do this with an early axle, not sure if the math is the same for a later 911 SC axle given the different bearing depth, but at least looks like I can use this cheap hub I have access to.
JFJ914
The later hub is a better hub as its' hubcentric. it's worth the trouble to find a 5mm spacer. Everything else will fit.
bradtho
I was having a hard time searching for this info before someone on this thread called them "Carrera axles". Searching for that brought out all the threads that I knew must exist but was having problems finding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.