Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Iris Blue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
My wife approves of me restoring my 914, with the proviso that she gets to pick the color. The one she thinks she wants is Iris Blue. I searched for images of teeners painted iris blue, but didn't find any that appeared to be this color (metallic blue with a strong undertone of purple). Anyone have any pics and/or ever seen a teener in this color?

tod914
The google search I did showed quite a few variations. Here's a thread on Pelican of various blues. The lighter blue variation certianly is a striking color. 33P

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...porsches-6.html
doug_b_928
Yeah, there are tons of beautiful Porsche blue variants. Linked below is the one that she likes, but I was wondering if anyone had painted a 914 that color (and had pics).

https://www.google.ca/search?q=iris+blue+po...772%3B720%3B540
r_towle
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Mar 4 2013, 07:55 PM) *

My wife approves of me restoring my 914, with the proviso that she gets to pick the color. The one she thinks she wants is Iris Blue. I searched for images of teeners painted iris blue, but didn't find any that appeared to be this color (metallic blue with a strong undertone of purple). Anyone have any pics and/or ever seen a teener in this color?

Ummm, no.
tod914
I suppose the closest 914 color to the lighter variation I posted, would be Marathon Blue metalic. A beautiful original one sold fairly recently. It's posted in the "for sale" section some where. Think it's listed under one owner car. The darker variation of the iris blues', maybe look up metalic blue for a 914. I seen it on some 6's.
Nearly forgot, one of the members made a 914 simulator? where you can pick and choose your options and colors. You can make any custom color you want. Maybe someone can post the link for you.
dlkawashima
That picture really looks more like purple than blue. I think there was a color called Lilac that might be close. Otherwise, something like this, perhaps? (Photoshopped)

Click to view attachment

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
I think DEM's Six might be Iris Blue, or at least close to it.

Could Carl C's Six be Iris Blue?

--DD
doug_b_928
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 4 2013, 08:37 PM) *

That picture really looks more like purple than blue. I think there was a color called Lilac that might be close. Otherwise, something like this, perhaps? (Photoshopped)

Click to view attachment

IPB Image

Very cool! Thanks so much for taking the time to simulate the color on a 914. I showed the wifey and she loves it!
carr914
There are two Iris Blues. The 1st was a Color in about 1986 and it was a Light Silver Blue and then in the 90's Porsche came out with the Purple Iris Blue

1986 Iris Blue

Click to view attachment

1993 Iris Blue

Click to view attachment
doug_b_928
Interesting that they would use the same name for different colors of blue. The 1993 Iris looks different than the one on the 993 that I posted. Maybe different lighting? Does anyone have the color code for the 90s Iris blue?
carr914
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Mar 4 2013, 10:25 PM) *

Interesting that they would use the same name for different colors of blue. The 1993 Iris looks different than the one on the 993 that I posted. Maybe different lighting?

Definately Lighting - in the 90's Porsche came out with quite a few colors that looked different depending on the lighting
KELTY360
914World member akellym has a gorgeous car in a color close to what you describe. check this thread.

Kelly's 914

Click to view attachment
doug_b_928
She's a beaut.
KELTY360
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Mar 5 2013, 06:46 AM) *

She's a beaut.

FWIW, at one point in the thread I believe it's described as Lapis Blue Pearl Metallic.
a914622
Yes mine is painted 1993 iris blue. In the sunlight it looks like the first 993 above and in the gray rain its more of a black/blue like the second 993. I will have to look around to see if i can find a pic.

But really my point and shoot camera doesnt do it justis.

jcl
doug_b_928
QUOTE(a914622 @ Mar 6 2013, 08:44 PM) *

Yes mine is painted 1993 iris blue. In the sunlight it looks like the first 993 above and in the gray rain its more of a black/blue like the second 993. I will have to look around to see if i can find a pic.

But really my point and shoot camera doesnt do it justis.

jcl

Pics or it ain't so smile.gif . Seriously, it would be great of you'd post pics. Also, do you have the code for that color?
LotusJoe
Marathon Blue Metallic
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 4 2013, 05:31 PM) *

I suppose the closest 914 color to the lighter variation I posted, would be Marathon Blue metalic. A beautiful original one sold fairly recently. It's posted in the "for sale" section some where. Think it's listed under one owner car. The darker variation of the iris blues', maybe look up metalic blue for a 914. I seen it on some 6's.
Nearly forgot, one of the members made a 914 simulator? where you can pick and choose your options and colors. You can make any custom color you want. Maybe someone can post the link for you.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.