Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Undoing poor/lazy front fender replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cary
Well the weather is getting better so its time to switch gears from my restoration project.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=187546

So I'm starting to tackle a poor fender replacement that is creating a rust issue. sad.gif sad.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=199039
cary
So I started to cut off the third layer on the front trunk seal channel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Here you can the see the three layers.

Click to view attachment

cary
Here she is sprayed down with OSPHO.

Click to view attachment

Time to ponder ............... I'm thinking JB Weld until I restore it in 4-5 years.
Looks like the fender needs to come off and a new channel built on both sides.

Any other choices?
malcolm2
Close up shots are not easy for me to see. But an option might be a product by POR-15. Called POR patch. Used as a seam sealer and too repair channels like that. Check their website and you tube. Clean and remove rust and loose metal then smear this stuff on. It is permanent so use gloves.
cary
I'll take a look at that.
Thanks ....................
JmuRiz
Stay tuned for ScottyB fixing my lazy fender replacement.

On mine the welds are crummy and they actually put the side marker light on, taped around it, then shot paint. blink.gif icon8.gif
cary
The main thing is not to over weld it.

That way I can remove it sometime in the future when it gets a complete bare metal restoration.
cary
POR-15 Patch made it from Summit Racing in 2 days.
Back to work on the trunk channel in the am.
cary
After I got the car on the lift. It went from bad to worse. Looks like the fender was put on by a hillbilly.

Click to view attachment

Hard to see in the picture. But the fender flange is inside the fender rather than spot welded on top. sad.gif sad.gif

So I went ahead with the POR15 patch. It will need major surgery when it comes time to restore it again. It was done in 1990.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.