Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Montreal914
Hello everyone,

I've just completed my 2056 D-Jet build smile.gif and I'm struggling with my ignition setup dry.gif . I hear good things about the Mallory distributor but I wonder how this works for the injectors trigger points.

What are the options that works with the stock F.I.?

Thank you for your input beerchug.gif

timothy_nd28
I would dump the Djet, and install a Ljet then call it all good
yeahmag
Stock dizzy with points/points replacement is all you can do with DJet. What are you struggling with?
Montreal914
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Mar 6 2013, 09:05 AM) *

I would dump the Djet, and install a Ljet then call it all good

What are the advantages of L-Jet?
Montreal914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 6 2013, 09:08 AM) *

Stock dizzy with points/points replacement is all you can do with DJet. What are you struggling with?

Well, Car was not running well at startup using the distributor that was in the car before the rebuild. It is equipped with a Pertronix.

I replaced it with another distributor that I have (equipped with points) and the car ran good for 1 1/2 day. Last night, it wouldn't start. I know this 2nd distributor is wobbly and will go back to the original one once I figure out what the problem is.

I was asking because I read that many people seem to have great comments about the Mallory distributor.

I figured the stock distributor is the only option with D-Jet being part of the system but wondered if there was anything else available.
falconfp2001
If you plan on staying Djet then you can never replace the Dizzy. You can however replace the points with a Crane-700 (my preference). still available on SummitRacing. Or petronix.

The only real option after that is Mega Squirt because it can manage both ignition and FI.

I still use the stock Dizzy with a Crane-700 and run my MS for the FI. Runs great.
Montreal914
I guess MS would be a more modern option but I don't know anything about it. I will do my search and read.
I need to test my Pertronix to see if it still works. When I swapped the distributor and the car ran nice (for 1 1/2) I figured the Pertronix was the problem, but now I don't know.

I would also like to know more on the L-Jet conversion, advantages confused24.gif

JamesM
Someone made a stand alone programable dizzy replacement. I don't see why this wouldn't work along side d-jet, you would just need to program a curve friendly to it. I will see if i can dig up the link.

I personally would just go megasquirt though so you can really dial in the tune and get the most out of the motor.
Montreal914
QUOTE(JamesM @ Mar 6 2013, 11:17 AM) *

Someone made a stand alone programable dizzy replacement. I don't see why this wouldn't work along side d-jet, you would just need to program a curve friendly to it. I will see if i can dig up the link.

I personally would just go megasquirt though so you can really dial in the tune and get the most out of the motor.

Any good threads on MS conversion? chowtime.gif
scott_in_nh
I don't have experience with anything other than the stock distibutor and I don't know what your goals are, but once I put together a good, stock distributor with a Hot-Spark points replacement I have gone 10,000+ miles without touching the distributor.
442nd914s
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Mar 6 2013, 11:29 AM) *

If you plan on staying Djet then you can never replace the Dizzy. You can however replace the points with a Crane-700 (my preference). still available on SummitRacing. Or petronix.

The only real option after that is Mega Squirt because it can manage both ignition and FI.

I still use the stock Dizzy with a Crane-700 and run my MS for the FI. Runs great.

agree.gif
I ran into the same stump on the road when I wanted to upgrade my dizzy on my all original 2.0 FI. So the option I had was to get a petronix, msd blaster coil, msd 6a system....oh yeah this was all part of my 2056 upgrade. She runs like a champ. Now if I can only get her to stop, Im having m/c issues
Montreal914
It seems like there are a lot of features that could be handled by that MSD 6al such as timing and RPM of the ignition. I guess to achieve that we would need to cancel the mechanical and vacuum advance on the distributor.

Is this how you are using this setup, or is the 6al just giving an extra boost on the coil? confused24.gif
442nd914s
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 6 2013, 06:56 PM) *

It seems like there are a lot of features that could be handled by that MSD 6al such as timing and RPM of the ignition. I guess to achieve that we would need to cancel the mechanical and vacuum advance on the distributor.

Is this how you are using this setup, or is the 6al just giving an extra boost on the coil? confused24.gif

After reading your reply, I notice I made a mistake and have edited my posting. I have a MSD 6A installed NOT the MSD 6AL. Sorry Im human.......sex robot part time.
Anyway, the 6A is a direct bolt on devise that doesnt require mods, cuts or vacuum lines disconnected. Just follow the hook up instructions. Even a caveman can do it.
As for the 6AL, well thats more advance beast. Since Im not tracking my car I dont see the point. However, keep in mind that with either units it is HIGHLY recommended you upgrade your plug wires to 8mm SPIRAL CORE wires.
Here's some more info in helping select the right system:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/m...MSD_install.htm
Montreal914
Thank you for the info, I will look into it.

I've checked my distributor last night, repaired the ground strap, new points, gapped, no slop, good vacuum both directions, etc.

I also checked the trigger points (for injectors) and they are opening for half a distributor turn each. Is this supposed to be a quick open pulse or a long open circuit like what I see? confused24.gif

I appreciate all the input beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
An ex-member (mueller) experimented with a dizzy that he added an extra trigger so that he could fire the stock D-jet. I don't know how he made out with it, maybe try searching for the thread on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.