Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Wheel Bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nick mironov

I have removed the rear trailing arms to replace the worn bushings. In the process, I noticed that the hubs have just a little play - both sides are the same. The car is a 75' and I am guessing that the bearings are original.

Is any play allowed? Should I replace the bearings?

What replacement bearings are recommended? I see that there are several to choose from at Pelican Parts and AA, but there is no information about the quality, application, or on what basis to make a choice.

Nick
SouthCali914
There should be virtually no play. are you checking them with the hub nut tight? will make a difference.

usually sealed type wheel brgs will make noise, like excessive road noise as they begin to fail. Caused by pitting on the race surface.

My advice, forty year old car, replace them while you're at that point. brgs aren't that much.
scott_in_nh
Because you suspect they are original and you have the trailing arms off the car - not replacing them would be foolish IMO...
JawjaPorsche
Here is great videos Eric Shea made on bearing replacement. Great Stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sfC1NiXamA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6CxhlpOvng
Eric_Shea
I would tend to agree that, if the arms are out and you suspect they're original bearings... now's the time.

That said, most split ring bearings have play in them with just the hubs mounted in the bearings. Once the Stub Axle is inserted and torqued to spec. (220lbft.) then there should be none whatsoever.

We have rear bearings available on sale extended through March (Spring Brake Special). Those are SKF or FAG bearings at $39.95. Best price out there unless they're Chinese.
nick mironov
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 6 2013, 02:51 PM) *

I would tend to agree that, if the arms are out and you suspect they're original bearings... now's the time.

That said, most split ring bearings have play in them with just the hubs mounted in the bearings. Once the Stub Axle is inserted and torqued to spec. (220lbft.) then there should be none whatsoever.

We have rear bearings available on sale extended through March (Spring Brake Special). Those are SKF or FAG bearings at $39.95. Best price out there unless they're Chinese.

There was no play with the stub axle inserted and torqued. I only noticed play after I removed the stub axle. Since it is all out, I will go ahead and replace the bearings. Your website shows $49.95, not $39.95...http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...868/3856333.htm...which price do I get? smile.gif $49.95 is still a good price...

I am planning on using the Elephant Racing polybronze bearings with shaft kit. Any reason not to and do something diffeent?

Thanks for the advice,

Nick
Eric_Shea
Give me a buzz tomorrow or, if you ordered them I can issue a credit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.