Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minimum fender clearance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I'm running 205's on the front. what is the Minimum(or maximum) clearance between the fender wells before the tires will rub?

Thanks
Tom_T
The problem isn't fender clearance straight, but when turned lock-to-lock.

You need to turn the wheel all the way one way, then check both sides of both wheels for both outer fender & inner wheelhouse clearance; then turn the other way & check all again. That will tell you where it's rubbing.

You can also look for evidence of rubbing on the inner wheel well surfaces.

IMHO - 205s on a narrow body 914 with stock wheels & stock offset will probably rub in full-lock turning - most often on the inner wheelhouse/well. Early 195s did so when I tried them in the early `80's, but they were 195(/80) back then IIRC.
MoveQik
Up front I am running 205/50/16's on 16x6 Fuchs with a 1" spacer. No rubbing on bone stock narrow fenders.
Chris Pincetich
I got some big tires this winter to absorb the rough road I drive on regularly and give me a bump up when driving over downed branches and roadkill common on backroads.

I had to raise the front almost an inch to avoid full-lock rub on 205/65/15 tires. The raised front required setting more negative camber as well.

I ran 205/50/15s for years before this w/o any issues of rubbing in front, even w race tires of that size (Hoosiers are big).
beerchug.gif
7TPorsh
I'm running 195/65/15 and lowered...I am right at the limit before having an issue.

I plan on adding bump steer spacers.
toon1
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 7 2013, 12:19 PM) *

Up front I am running 205/50/16's on 16x6 Fuchs with a 1" spacer. No rubbing on bone stock narrow fenders.

What is the offset of the Fuchs?

Is it possible to take a measurement from the outside of the tire to the inside of the fender well for me?

I'm running 996 boxster snowflakes 16" with 205/55/16. I think the offset is 50mm.

I have 1/4" spacers right now with stock length studs. The studs will have to be replaced if i go out much father. I'm trying to get an idea of how far I can go out without a lot of trial and error.

Thanks
brant
QUOTE(toon1 @ Mar 7 2013, 06:05 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 7 2013, 12:19 PM) *

What is the offset of the Fuchs?

Is it possible to take a measurement from the outside of the tire to the inside of the fender well for me?

I'm running 996 boxster snowflakes 16" with 205/55/16. I think the offset is 50mm.

I have 1/4" spacers right now with stock length studs. The studs will have to be replaced if i go out much father. I'm trying to get an idea of how far I can go out without a lot of trial and error.

Thanks

all of the 6x16inch fuchs have the same 36mm offset.
but add in the spacer too

here is a wheel chart
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.