Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Unless some business thing gets in the way I'll be heading down to the Marina on Sunday to run against the big time National SCCA boys and girls.

I figure if I get within a second or so of the top boys I'll have bragging rights. After all a little 914 (4) with about 1/3 of the HP the national guys run shouldn't be anywhere near as fast. biggrin.gif

I'm a little nervous about trying the completely new tire / suspension set up, but now we find out if all the calculations and changes are right.

If nothing else, it'll be fun to be behind the wheel again. The last event I did was the fall enduro in Medford - 6 months ago.

Wish JP was going to be around.

Did I hear that Britain was coming to this SCCA event?

Woody
Go get em. popcorn[1].gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 7 2013, 12:47 PM) *

Unless some business thing gets in the way I'll be heading down to the Marina on Sunday to run against the big time National SCCA boys and girls.

I figure if I get within a second or so of the top boys I'll have bragging rights. After all a little 914 (4) with about 1/3 of the HP the national guys run shouldn't be anywhere near as fast. biggrin.gif

I'm a little nervous about trying the completely new tire / suspension set up, but now we find out if all the calculations and changes are right.

If nothing else, it'll be fun to be behind the wheel again. The last event I did was the fall enduro in Medford - 6 months ago.

Wish JP was going to be around.

Did I hear that Britain was coming to this SCCA event?

So do I. biggrin.gif

I hear Brit is headed down that way but I don't know exact dates. A marriage in the family screwed up his long range plans.

You'll do fine, Randal. SCCA guys up this way are some of the nicest folk I've come across. Just run your own race and you'll have a fine time.
As for power, OK, you're down some but you'll have to look long & hard for folks with a lighter car.....and yours actually handles.

I'll admit that a new set-up is tough on fellas like us'n. Builder/drivers are caught between two forces. I can only suggest for you to trust your build and just drive. At an AX, the only thing I messed with on the car were tire pressures......Track time at SCCA is very limited......4 maybe 5 runs. One looses focus if you spend time messing with the car. Consider it "done" and 'run what'cha brung"......oh, and have fun.
ww914
Good luck Randal. Go getum!
Randal
Beautiful day at the Marina. Hardly a cloud in the sky, but normal cold wind in the PM.

The new tire/wheel setup works unbelievably good. So good in fact that my first run, on cold tires, was pretty fast.

On the subsquent three runs I kept pushing up the corning speed, testing the limits, and ended up coming out of corners so fast that I blew a couple of critical braking points on the next corners. I need more runs to even figure out where the limits are with this new setup.

I'll post a video if it turned out.

To be honest this car has never handled so well. Avon's are special. When I get back in front of the car again I think it's going to be interesting.

We did do tire temps on the Avon's which I can post if anyone is interested.

I've got a question for all you ace SCCA people. If your running the grid and you have two lines with dual drives, two lines with single drivers and one line with 5 drivers (single car), here is the way I think one is susposed to release drivers to the start.

You start with the outside line with two drivers and dispatch all number 1 drivers, then do the same with the #2 drivers. After all drivers in that line have a run, you then start on the second line with two drivers and follow the same sequence. Following that you start on the third line with single drivers and dispatch each one, unitl the first one shows up at the start of the line. The do the fourth line the same. As the fifth line drivers come up, i.e., the one with 5 drivers in a single car, you dovetail them in to the other lines.

Is this the right way according to SCCA?
J P Stein
Let's say you have 6 lines of cars. On the extreme right there 2 lines of double drivers. You run the lines from right to left. After you run the 4th line, go back to lines 1 & 2 and run them working right to left. After the 2nd 2 driver line has run, you go back to the 5th line and run them, then the 6 th.....still working right to left.
Now, everyone has run.
Repeat as required. It's always a good plan to have a staging boss that knows what he's about and has a pair.

*All reruns come after everyone has had their entitled 4 (for instance) runs*.....no exceptions.......even if you have to pass out rerun tickets.

I watched re runs F*** up an SCCA AX at Mather several years back when they didn't follow these rules. 4-5 cars on the course when the red flag comes out. That must have happened 4-5 times in my run group. What a CF
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 10 2013, 07:51 PM) *

Let's say you have 6 lines of cars. On the extreme right there 2 lines of double drivers. You run the lines from right to left. After you run the 4th line, go back to lines 1 & 2 and run them working right to left. After the 2nd 2 driver line has run, you go back to the 5th line and run them, then the 6 th.....still working right to left.
Now, everyone has run.
Repeat as required. It's always a good plan to have a staging boss that knows what he's about and has a pair.

*All reruns come after everyone has had their entitled 4 (for instance) runs*.....no exceptions.......even if you have to pass out rerun tickets.

I watched re runs F*** up an SCCA AX at Mather several years back when they didn't follow these rules. 4-5 cars on the course when the red flag comes out. That must have happened 4-5 times in my run group. What a CF

They told me to run the entire line, i.e., looking at your example, run all number one drivers in the far right hand line, then all number two drivers in the far right hand line as the cars come back into line. Then start on the second line of two drivers doing the same.

CF indeed.

And I can understand why a two driver car would get pisssed if they had to wait a MS more than necessary to get in the second run, i.e., tires getting colder by the second.
J P Stein

[/quote]

They told me to run the entire line, i.e., looking at your example, run all number one drivers in the far right hand line, then all number two drivers in the far right hand line as the cars come back into line. Then start on the second line of two drivers doing the same.

CF indeed.

And I can understand why a two driver car would get pisssed if they had to wait a MS more than necessary to get in the second run, i.e., tires getting colder by the second.
[/quote]

Part of leaving some time between the 2 driver cars is to give adequate time to do the driver change ( it is still a tight thing sometimes), Cooling down the tires helps minimize the advantage over single drivers.......NT events are run this way also....no fools there.

Anything else is "special" to the region.

At the Parade each car *must* wait 5 minutes between runs no matter how many drivers there is/are....that is in the rules.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.