Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just got a 914 HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche-tom
hello all,my name it tom and i just got a 1972 914-4, i will post pictures and info later but right now i have a problem everytime i drive the car it seems to stall at the same distance. when i try to start is again i get nothing. when i turn on the inginition i dont hear the fuel pump cycling. i have to stop and keep turning it on and off until i hear the pump and it starts. i dont know if its the fuel pump or the relay? or some other problem? any info would be nice, thank you
Kaduku
welcome.png

Welcome, I am basically new here too. I am sure others will chime in soon in regards to your problem.

KaptKaos
Carbs or Fuel Injected (FI)?

Relay lives on the board in the engine bay on the driver's side.

Pump on my '73 is basically under the car, below the battery.

Do you have a multi-meter?

welcome.png
Ductech
First off welcome you'll find this place can be a second home. And as for your issue.. My mechanic brain says its most likely a relay. Relays do crazy things when they have been sitting or even just after years of usage. Also as a new 914 owner you should go all C.S.I. On all aspects of your fuel system. Look around. Are your hoses old? Do you have reason to believe the plastic lines that run through the tunnel have been replaced? Someone local lost a car to a gas fire.. Your relay currently stops working ... What happens when it finally stays on all day.... Not trying to scare you. But being around the block... This is one of those check it out right away things when you grab one of these cars. Good luck ! Keep us informed of what comes! welcome.png
porsche-tom
Sorry i forgot to say it is carb. I drove it to work today and I am afraid to drive home. On the way here it did it twice. It's just weird it seems to happen at the same distance every time. I'll try in jiggle the relay before I leave. Thanks for the warm welcome.though
KELTY360
What kind of distance are we talking about? How long does it sit before you're able to get it started again? Check all ground connections and any wiring connections around the fuel pump. The previous owner may have been having the same problem.

welcome.png
porsche-tom
it usually shuts down around 3 miles and it usually takes a minute or so of me turning the ingnition on and off for me to hear the fuel pump
stugray
Had an almost exact problem with my Ghia. It was debris in the fuel tank. it would float around and then migrate to the fuel pickup and clog the pump intake.
Not as likely with the fuel sock & high pressure pump, but sure sounds the same.

Stu
KaptKaos
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 7 2013, 04:09 PM) *

Had an almost exact problem with my Ghia. It was debris in the fuel tank. it would float around and then migrate to the fuel pickup and clog the pump intake.
Not as likely with the fuel sock & high pressure pump, but sure sounds the same.

Stu

If he's got carbs or carb (single) he's not running the high pressure pump anymore. At least I hope not!
KaptKaos
QUOTE(porsche-tom @ Mar 7 2013, 03:14 PM) *

Sorry i forgot to say it is carb. I drove it to work today and I am afraid to drive home. On the way here it did it twice. It's just weird it seems to happen at the same distance every time. I'll try in jiggle the relay before I leave. Thanks for the warm welcome.though

Look in the classic thread forum for Sir Andy's carb fuel pump jumper mod. Make sure yours is set up like that.
porsche-tom
hey all i made it home no problem, i jiggled the relay at work so im going to assume it was that ill order one today. thanks for all of the help, i will give you guys some pictures and info when its warmer
JStroud
You should check the relays and sockets for corrosion, also the wire harness connections at the relay board, my fuel pump acted up twice, both times just corrosion at the relay board. Don't forget to disconnect the battery first.

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.