Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
Received CFO approval to order PMB rear calipers on the 17th! Everything about them seems top notch. Anyone else used them? If so what was your impression?

Currently the emergency brake does not work. The handle is operational and the cables seem to move the levers on the calipers. Tried adjusting the pads but the adjusters seem to not move the pads at all. So I am convinced that the problem is in the caliper.

Of course, every time I am convinced I am right WTF.gif So I thought I would ask if there was something else I was missing or should anticipate replacing with the calipers.
type47
Make sure you have or can get the little pin and "C" clip that connects the end of the brake cable to the lever. I found a C clip at local hardware; 5/16" if I recall. Brake bleeder valves, rubber caps, pads with pins and springs ...
Spoke
This is common with restored rear calipers. I had the same issue with mine. Nothing wrong with the mechanism, it just needs to be loosened up.

Check out my thread for answers.

Restored Rear Caliper E-Brake Break-in

BTW, PMB is the tops. Eric is awesome to work with and helped me through several non-PMB related hub/brake issues.
Eric_Shea
He's talking about his old calipers...
Mblizzard
Eric - Because that process was for new/rebuilt calipers I take it I am better off not trying it on my old ones? I am not sure that even if it worked that I would feel comfortable continuing with the old ones.
Eric_Shea
The same basic thing "can" be happening but, with old calipers it's probably a rusty fluid build up around the sealing ring.

Here's what I recommend for anyone trying to get their old stuck rear calipers working again.

1. Put new fluid in the system. New fluids will help clean.
2. Move the handbrake arm back and forth. That will get the inner pistons moving freely in the bore so you can (hopefully) adjust it.
3. Remove the small c-clip on the outer adjuster and remove the 13mm slim nut. Tap that adjuster in and then push the piston back.
4. Put the nut back on and re-install the c-clip. Now try to adjust the caliper as you normally would. Adjust both pistons (inner and outer) and move them in and out as far as you can. The idea is to get the pistons moving back and forth in the bores with clean fluid. This will help scrub some grunge off the piston walls.
5. Change the fluid again or flush a little more through until it runs clear.

No guarantees with this method, a lot of these smaller adjuster seals are old and hard and will start to leak. If this doesn't get them working again, or, if you have some fluid leaks, it really is time for a rebuild.

Hope that helps.
Mblizzard
Eric did precisely that and still have no movement. So I will be placing an order on the 17th!
Elliot Cannon
I got calipers from Eric. Aluminum rear and "S" front. I like them so far but haven't installed them yet. The only problem is, he won't let me paint them red. Is that even fair? Can he do that? confused24.gif happy11.gif
Eric_Shea
Read the fine print in the contract Elliot
Spoke
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 9 2013, 09:02 PM) *

I got calipers from Eric....The only problem is, he won't let me paint them red.

Yeah, I didn't even ask. They looked too pretty to paint.
Mblizzard
Order placed! Can't wait to get them. Don't worry, No chance of me painting them Eric.
Mblizzard
Got the new rear calipers from Eric at PMB. WOW! Maybe not works of art, yet. But these things are truly magnificent. Eric even went the extra step to install the pads I ordered. PMB knows how to do it right. When it comes to brakes it has to be right and Eric will make sure it is right.
SKL1
+100

My "new" calipers from PMB are sitting on the workbench waiting for me to finish the suspension rebuilding (see thread about removing old trailing arm bushings smile.gif ) and they look better than new!!

Can't wait to hook everything up- the cables are all clean and ready...

Someday...
Mblizzard
It is amazing the love that we have for these cars. They are far from being the best at anything, yet we will sit there for days dreaming about getting the next part or installing the one we have.

I will be replacing the front control arm bushings myself soon. But that is one job I wish would just magically happen.
matt5596
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Mar 20 2013, 05:11 AM) *

It is amazing the love that we have for these cars. They are far from being the best at anything, yet we will sit there for days dreaming about getting the next part or installing the one we have.

I will be replacing the front control arm bushings myself soon. But that is one job I wish would just magically happen.

agree.gif
I keep accumulating parts but not accumulating any time to install them. hissyfit.gif
Mblizzard
Well maybe it is not the most perfect presentation of Eric's work but I think the looks great. It is nice to get a part, install it, and it works exactly as it should.

Everything about the purchase from PMB says it was the best choice I could make.
Cairo94507
You will never regret your decision to go with PMB.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.