Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bellcrank Reinstall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PhilA
I have a '70 914 with tail shifter. I am reinstalling the bellcrank (the piece going into the transmission that the shift rod engages). I am reinstalling because I replaced the seal to stop leakage where the bellcrank goes in. There does not seem to be a real tight fit between the seal and the rod. I notice on the diagrams on the websites that there is also a bushing shown, inward of the seal. The websites also say that part is no longer available. Does anyone know if that is a required part on my 4-cylinder car? Also, I can't tell from the diagrams, are there any other seals on that bellcrank? Nothing came off the bellcrank when I took it apart. Just want to make sure if didn't disappear earlier and that is part of the reason it is leaking.

Thanks, Phil

p.s. The end of the bellcrank inside the transmission is flattened on one side. Can't really tell why. Anyone know?
914Sixer
Your going to have to add a picture so we can see what you need.
PhilA
See attached image from the parts diagram. I have installed sealing ring (2), Item 14, on the bellcrank that has the rectangle around it. The ring is actually pressed into the transmission where the bellcrank goes into the case.

The flattened portion in question is noted with a (1). It "inserts" into a hole in the case opposite from where the bellcrank goes into the case. The gearshift lever, Item 17, goes on the shaft near the flattened portion. However, it is not flattened on the inside and actually is on the rounded portion of the bellcrank.

The bushing, Item 8, I am wondering about is noted with a (3). Since it is next to the sealing ring on the diagram, does it go on the bellcrank somewhere? I did not see one come off when I removed the bellcrank. I could do a photo but I'm not sure it would show much more than the diagram. I can, though, if that will help.

thanks, Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.