Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilt cranks and cams
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
pgollender
Well after 3 years of pay as you go (slow) restoration on the rest of the car, I finally tore down my '70 1.7L motor. ETA to road-worthy vechicle now maybe 4 months. driving.gif I need recommendations for reputable Crank regrinder and where can I purchase new or good used stock cam. (mine is shot, centraldivots in #2 and #3 lobes). Feel free to tell me who to avoid as well.
Sea Dragon 914
I'm not sure if they are still around but I've had Ashland Grinding in Oakland or San Leandro spec cranks and balance everything on two motors I built but that was over 15 years ago and i'm ot sure they are still around. As for camshafts, I used to send mine to Elgin Cams who are now in Petaluma(?) (used to be in Redwood City) and I know they are still around. You might also want to try Webcams if you need a new one. Post what you find as I'm planning on re-building a couple of engines this summer.

SDR

QUOTE(pgollender @ Mar 9 2013, 02:37 PM) *

Well after 3 years of pay as you go (slow) restoration on the rest of the car, I finally tore down my '70 1.7L motor. ETA to road-worthy vechicle now maybe 4 months. driving.gif I need recommendations for reputable Crank regrinder and where can I purchase new or good used stock cam. (mine is shot, centraldivots in #2 and #3 lobes). Feel free to tell me who to avoid as well.

hydroliftin
QUOTE(pgollender @ Mar 9 2013, 02:37 PM) *

I had the machining on my rebuild done at Jay's Machine 1751 Grant Street, Santa Clara, CA 95050 (408) 980-0743. This was a few years ago. Not sure he is still around. Old school, but he knows his way around air cooled motors.
Cap'n Krusty
Bruce Stone has a couple of good, and most likely standard, cranks. I know 'cause he got 'em from me today. Standard is better.

The Cap'n
pgollender
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 9 2013, 08:44 PM) *

Bruce Stone has a couple of good, and most likely standard, cranks. I know 'cause he got 'em from me today. Standard is better.

The Cap'n

Thx Capt. Can you relay this message to Bruce. I couldn't find him on the members list.
bdstone914
QUOTE(pgollender @ Mar 10 2013, 09:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 9 2013, 08:44 PM) *

The Cap'n

Thx Capt. Can you relay this message to Bruce. I couldn't find him on the members list.

Here I am. I do have the cranks from the Capt. I know at least one is a 1.7L type. I have not checked them for STD or reground size. size.
I can take them to FAT Performance to be polished and crack checked.
PM for details.
Bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.