Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 75 914 2.1 liter, nicely restored and modified
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
SteveFB91
Well, it's finally time to sell dad's 914. This is my first post on this forum, so I'll try not to mess anything up. So here's the story of this car; my dad was messing around on ebay back in 07, when he put in a bid on this really good looking 914 in Cali for 10k, expecting someone would outbid him. Long story short, they didn't, and we ended up shipping an (almost) finished 914 across the country, and then wondering what to do with it. The car had been rebuilt as sort of a street/autocross car, but had a few things wrong with it that we had to fix.
Basically, the previous owner had gotten tired of his 914 and wanted a 57 chevy (lame), so the car was actually about 90 percent finished instead of 100, so my dad took the car to the shop where I work and had a few things finished up on the car, including: replacing the carbs with dual throat EMPIs (it had 911 carbs on it), fix a few electrical issues including the windshield wipers and reverse lights, put new bucket seats in it (previous owner put the wrong ones in and they wouldn't fit), and I had to rebuild one of the brake calipers because it was leaking. No worries though, the car is fixed and drives great, so let me actually get to the the meat of this post and list the parts and stuff smile.gif .

THE GOOD: This car is essentially brand new, and has been built with a frunk load (see what I did there) of really fancy 914 parts, including new paint, and about 16-20k put into it over the last few years. It's absolutely fantastic to drive, and has only about 1000 miles put on it since it was re-built. The car has been garage kept and is driven about once a month, but my dad (the owner) really has no time for it, and I have my own 914 to do stuff with, so it needs a good home and new owner. See the list below for parts. This car comes with a huge book of essentially everything done on it, bills of sale, etc, from 1975-2007. It also passes Va state inspection.

THE BAD: This car is real solid, but it's got a few little things that need tidying up, here they are: First, the stereo doesn't work. It has the front speakers and the housings have been rebuilt, but there are holes cut in the doors for speakers and no speakers in them, and the head unit that's in there is old and should probably be replaced. Next, the heater/blower doesn't work. The car has new heater hoses in the rear and they look good in the front, so it might be the blower or a relay or connection gone bad or something. Also, the tires need to be replaced, they hold air fine and have plenty of tread but they're dry-rotted a lot on the sides and really should be replaced. Alright, only little stuff left: the rear wing was installed a little weird so that it scraped a bit of the paint off on the left side, and has a bit of a gap on the right side, as well as the bolt holes that hold it on not having been filled. I didn't mess with it, because I'm not a bodywork person and I didn't want to risk doin anything that would damage the car, but I'm sure a body shop could figure it out easily. Also, the car needs new mounts for the sun visors, and possibly new sun visors all together, thee ones on there are kind of messed up, and the interior light is brand new but the wires have been disconnected for some reason. Last and least importantly, the previous owner installed this starter button, and it just hangs down beneath the dashboard. I built a nice little mount for it, and all it needs is the right size nut (some weird electrical switch size) in order for it to be mounted up. THe thing is, the car starts with the key, so the switch is kind of pointless, but I'll leave it on there just in case you want your car to have a fancy "button" starter.

Here's a list of all the new parts:

Engine

Block(s): the motor was a 1.7 liter with D-jet and only 60k miles, but the previous owner rebuilt it and had it bored out to 2.1 liters, 96 mm bore. Block polished, oooooo, shiny, and all the surrounding heat shielding and air ducting is painted red.

Internals: brand new 96mm pistons, rings, journals, etc.

Upper end: rebuilt heads opened up for 2.1 liters disp, new intake and exhaust valves, seats, springs, and guides, new push-rod tubes, recent valve job, and the heads have also been polished, oooo, shiny.

Seals: new head gaskets (duh), new valve cover gaskets, new front and rear push rod seals, new crank seal.

Electrics: new Bosch premium alt., new 009 distributer with electronic ignition, new ignition wires and spark plugs.

Fuel and air: brand new EMPI dual throat carbs/gaskets/lines (I think they’re 40mm diameter, but could be more), new air cleaners, new throttle linkage/crossbar, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new fuel lines, new intake manifolds, new fan belt, and new Manta exhaust system (looks like an Ansa system,chrome tips, etc. (ooo, shiny)).

Oil: new oil pressure switch, new external oil cooler, new oil cooler seals, new high volume oil pump, new oil strainer and reservoir screen (and filter, duh).

Transmission

External: new ground strap, new back up light switch, new 911 transmission mounts, new higher torque starter, the whole exterior is red and clean.

Internals: new needle cage bearings for 1st 2nd and 3rd, new 2nd gear slider, new 1st gear synchro hub, new 2nd gear synchro hub, new 1st 2nd and 3rd synchro rings, new stop block for 1st and 2nd gears, new cluch release bearing and throw-out arm bushing, new sachs clutch pressure plate and sachs clutch disk.

Seals and gaskets: new side output seals, shifter bushings, and main shaft seal, new gasket kit, new axle joint gaskets.

Pedals/levers/stuff

Shifter: new high performance short shifter kit (Rennshift), new BIG shift knob, new bushings ( all of the linkage bushings ☺).

Clutch: new clutch cable, new cable arm bushing.

Other stuff: new throttle cable, new speedometer cable, rebuilt pedal cluster ( bronze bushings), and the ebrake works.

Brakes

Front: new rotors (OEM), new pads, stainless steel lines.

Rear: new rotors (OEM), new pads, stainless steel lines, right rear caliper was rebuilt with all new seals because it was leaking; it’s no longer leaking ☺.

Overall: 19mm 911 master cylinder, new fluid.

*Brakes feel squishier than they should, I don’t know why, but they operate fine and have been bled out extensively ( I must have gone through like a gallon of brake fluid bleeding them), and there are no leaks whatsoever.

Suspension:

Front: 22mm Weltmeister racing torsion bars, 22mm Weltmeister front sway bar kit, adjustable Koni shocks, new front wheel bearings (inner and outer), new wheel bearing seals, new A-arm torsion bar bushings, new front tow hooks ( on both sides), new front ball joints/hardware, new front upperstrut mounts, new 911 turbo tie rods ( ‘cause they’re better I guess?), and a new bump steer kit. So basically everything you can do to the front has been done.

Rear: new rear trailing arm bushings, new rear wheel bearings, new rear boxed control arms (Weltmiester), new Bilstein shocks, and new sport progressive rate springs (110/165 lbs.). So again, basically every thing you can do to the rear also.

Interior

Pedals: new Rennline stainless steel pedal kit with adjustable gas pedal, new Rennline aluminum drilled floorboard, new Rennline adjustable throttle stop, gas pedal is designed for quick heel and toe-ing.

Carpet/panels: brand new carpet (German cut pile, oooo fancy), new dash cover, new door handle inserts.

Seats/belts: brand new leatherette (or maybe real leather, I can’t tell) sport bucket seats, brand newly installed OEM tensioner seat belts (all the joints greased, etc), brand new seat adjusters.

Electrics: new ignition switch (ehh kind of weird, see the description in the post), all new fuses, new fuse panel cover, rebuilt speaker enclosures, new central gauge panel with all newly installed OEM VDO clock, volt meter, and temp gauge.

Other: new detachable MOMO racing steering wheel, custom mount for starter switch thing (see post again), new aluminum window winders.

Other

Body: brand new paint job (Laguna Blue), new front lip spoiler (black, fiberglass), new rear spoiler (blue, fiberglass), big later style bumpers with no damage whatsoever, Euro-style turn signal covers, Fuchs wheels, new headlight motor covers, Hella fog lights, new roof holder clips (both front plastic and rear rubber) in trunk, and newly installed roof (although it’s a little rough, the one that was on the car was destroyed by a mechanic, long story).

Other: most drive and exhaust components have been painted blue, red, or silver to match the rest of the car (not my style, but it looks pretty cool haha), all harness wires have been covered in red plastic wire sleeve things, new heater hoses in the engine bay, we have some spares.

I'm trying to figure out how to get all of the pics of it on here, so far it will only let me post one. Just email me and I'll send you tons more.

In conclusion, attached are a gazillion pictures of the car, take a look. The car is a joy to drive, come test it out if you're near Richmond, Va.

-Steve

phone- 804-305-6876
email-summervillsj@vcu.edu
price-$8500 obo
SteveFB91
Just give me your email if you want pics, it won't let me post them. I have dozens taken last week.
SteveFB91
bump java script:emoticon(':bump:',%20'smid_20')
SteveFB91
bump icon_bump.gif
carguy914
I had a problem posting pictures on a build thread and it turned out the picture size was to big...had to re-size them and everything went through just fine... confused24.gif
nolift914
QUOTE(SteveFB91 @ Mar 9 2013, 02:53 PM) *

Just give me your email if you want pics, it won't let me post them. I have dozens taken last week.

I sent an e-mail
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.