Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: relay under dash never stops cycling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
So, a new bad thing has started. There is a relay under the dash that starts cycling when I turn on the ignition key and continues cycling even after I start the engine. I drive it 27 miles one way to work and I can still hear it. It's quiet but its there. It hasn't been doing it all along. I listen for noises. I pulled the two round relays from the back of the fuse panel in the cab and I still hear it. I think the only relay left is the signal light relay. Its not the headlight relay. So, anyone know what this is and how to fix it?
sad.gif
r3dplanet
Well, there are five relays down there. I would disconnect the negative battery cable and pull down the fuse block so you can more easily access the relays, which mount above the fuses. There's a major ground point right where the fuse block meets the body on the driver's side and it can zap in a fearsome way when you pull the fuse block unless the ground is disconnected. Once free, make sure the grounds are clear and reconnect the battery. You should then easily be able to pull the other relays and test the following:

fog lights
horn
fresh air fan

It sounds like you've already managed to test the blinker/hazard relay and headlight flasher.

I did this a year ago when upgrading to a better fuseblock. I took the time to label the relays. They mount to the fuse block with small rubber nubs, and they can be attached in just about any order as long the wires provide enough slack. Mine were in a different order than what the manual showed. Labels are our friends for times like this.

Try this and let us know?

-marcus
Dave_Darling
It's the turn signal relay. Double-check your handbrake lever switch and the warning switch in the master cylinder. Then start checking the connections in the turn signal and hazard light circuits.

Look for dirty or blown fuses, and clean your grounds.

Chasing electrical problems can be so much "fun"...

--DD
jdlmodelt
Thanks! I'll look into all the recommendations.
j
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.