Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping an engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
Good evening everyone,

I need to get quotes to ship an engine from Montana to Michigan. Can anyone recomend a company? Also how much does a type 4 weigh?

Thanks

David
mepstein
Freightquote.com

250lbs, 325 w/trans
Jake Raby
engineshipping.com

They ship my engines worldwide, know all the tricks and I don't think you'll find a better price.
mepstein
I like freightquote but I would go with Jake's suggestion first.
Jake Raby
The cheapest price quickly becomes not such a great deal should an engine become damaged in shipment.

I have used freightquote and had to purchase extra insurance to cover the value of the engine. If its a core, or something thats not worth a ton of cash you can risk it. I can't afford to risk it.
bandjoey
My 2.0 on a pallet weighted 325. Be sure to get a good pallet. Forklifts can break the wood on a thin wood one and the motor falls through. Ask me how I know.

Freightquote got me a good price
Maltese Falcon
David, I use Yellow/Roadway.
You also get approx. $20.00 per Lb. insurance per
"engine ship class"
You may add more insurance as required.
A few extra bucks if you don't have a fork lift, and they send a truck with lift gate.
We just shipped a Cayenne v8, L.A.to Texas for about $375.00.
Good customer service as well.
Marty
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 10 2013, 09:04 PM) *

My 2.0 on a pallet weighted 325. Be sure to get a good pallet. Forklifts can break the wood on a thin wood one and the motor falls through. Ask me how I know.

Freightquote got me a good price

agree.gif I had a 3.0 shipped to me in Indiana from MA. No issues with Freightqoute but keep in mind it wasn't door to door, I had to go to the freight terminal to pick it up. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of. Also make sure the person shipping makes a strong crate for it. When I picked up my engine to was crated very well. The motor setting next to mine at the terminal was not and lets just says two plastic straps and plastic shrink wrap is not the best way to ship motor on a open pallet. icon8.gif

I would check with the place Jake uses also.
Harpo
I followed Jake's recomendtion and even with insurance and a lift truck to unload it was only $425.

Thanks Jake

BTW Jake I purchasing one of your engines (second hand)

David
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Harpo @ Mar 11 2013, 02:07 PM) *

I followed Jake's recomendtion and even with insurance and a lift truck to unload it was only $425.

Thanks Jake

David

Sure its one of mine?? Each is serialized and in our ledger/ data base. I've busted 4 people in the last 6 months advertising our engines that were not our engines. It happens all the time, but my system keeps people honest.

914itis
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 11 2013, 10:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Harpo @ Mar 11 2013, 02:07 PM) *

Thanks Jake

David

Sure its one of mine?? Each is serialized and in our ledger/ data base. I've busted 4 people in the last 6 months advertising our engines that were not our engines. It happens all the time, but my system keeps people honest.

Jake, how does one identify your engines? What to look for?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.