Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This could have been ugly ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
McMark found the reason why my car would sometimes suddenly change direction without any steering input.

That is one broken steering rack if i ever saw one.
icon8.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccihNmlBVoc

I'm just glad it didn't completely fall apart while i was driving.
huh.gif
914itis
Thanks for sharing.
Mike Bellis
Yay McMark! smilie_pokal.gif
mrbubblehead
holy crap. was that hidden under the the plastic accordion cover?
McMark
Everything is hidden by the plastic bellows, but there would be NO indication of this problem when installed in the car (aside from the drivability issue Andy mentioned). The rack is held firm and the shaft coming up into the cabin is guided by a bearing. Visual inspection wouldn't have show this particular issue either. But what the video doesn't even show is that the rubber bushing/coupler is completely worn out as well and would add EVEN MORE slop to the steering.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 11 2013, 10:47 PM) *

Everything is hidden by the plastic bellows, but there would be NO indication of this problem when installed in the car (aside from the drivability issue Andy mentioned). The rack is held firm and the shaft coming up into the cabin is guided by a bearing. Visual inspection wouldn't have show this particular issue either. But what the video doesn't even show is that the rubber bushing/coupler is completely worn out as well and would add EVEN MORE slop to the steering.

my coupler was completely wore out also. so i cut that bellow off and left it off. so i can at least do a visual on it when ever the tank comes out. who knows what evil lurks under that thing. personally, i think its a time bomb with horrific consequences. but andys problem is actually in the rack itself right? what failed?
McMark
but andys problem is actually in the rack itself right? what failed?

Didn't disassemble it. Probably won't, but Andy probably will on Sunday. wink.gif
mrbubblehead
popcorn[1].gif
euro911
Good wake up call sad.gif

popcorn[1].gif
billh1963
I wonder what the actual failure rate for these are? Is this something we should all be checking for?

The suddenly changing direction is obviously a serious problem and a huge sign; however, what tests could be done to see if the components are wearing? Jack up the front of the car and test for steering play?
Chris H.
Holy crap! This is the rack that came with the 911 front suspension? Pretty scary.
JawjaPorsche
I had an almost ugly experience last year too. My steering play was getting progressively worse then it started making crunching noises. Not good. Then the steering really went bad while I was in town. I managed to drive it home very carefully and pulled the cover and noticed that one of the bolts on the bottom had completely came out! The coupler was worn out too so I replaced that with a delrin one from Tangerine Racing. When I replaced the coupler, I bought longer bolts for the bottom and then put some lock nuts on the top which might be overkill but it made me feel good and safer!
Luke M
I replaced my steering coupler with one of the tangerine racing units also.
I did it for an upgrade in steering feel and nothing else.
When I took the plastic cover off the steering rack you could clearly see that it was time for a new one. I didn't take any pics of my coupler but it looked like JawjaPorsche old coupler. The mounting holes where worn out. I'm glad I caught it now vs later. I feel this should be a part that any 914/911 owner should check.
The other thing I liked about the tangerine coupler is that it comes in two sizes.
One for stock replacement and one for lowered cars which is suppose to help with bump steer. I plan on installing one of the tangerine couplers in my brothers car later this spring/summer. I'm sure his steering coupler is probably worn out also. It's been in the car/in service now for 39 years.
Sneezy
It doesn't help with bump steer, it's sized to work with rack spacers and they help with bump steer.
02loftsmoor
I need to add this of things to check, Wow
Chris Pincetich
Andy's car is a monster. Big 3.6-6 engine and known to arrive on big racing slicks and hammer around AX courses and race tracks.

Thankful it did get checked before it wrecked! beerchug.gif
OU8AVW
My rack is out, looks like I will be pulling it apart further. I have delrin material that we make sheaves for sailboats out of. Should be able to turn a new bushing pretty quick.
balljoint
You break that at speed and it would be like riding a bear. ohmy.gif And how do you steer a bear? confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
JB Weld (like a "real" 914 man)
worn
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 12 2013, 08:09 AM) *

You break that at speed and it would be like riding a bear. ohmy.gif And how do you steer a bear? confused24.gif

I am not sure, but it seems obvious that you pull the right ear to turn right, and the left ear to turn left. That is why I have a left and right brake pedal just in case laugh.gif .

Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 11 2013, 09:43 PM) *

McMark found the reason why my car would sometimes suddenly change direction without any steering input.

That is one broken steering rack if i ever saw one.
icon8.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccihNmlBVoc

I'm just glad it didn't completely fall apart while i was driving.
huh.gif

That is scary.

Suggestion: McMark should offer a complete (flat rate) nut and bolt check, including such components such as the steering coupler, for racers. I for one would use the service.

SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 11 2013, 11:00 PM) *
Didn't disassemble it. Probably won't, but Andy probably will on Sunday. wink.gif

Yes, i will be taking this apart. sawzall-smiley.gif

I have a hunch since i have seen the exact same thing (a very long time ago) on a '74 super beetle which was the cause of the only accident i have ever been in in my 30+ years of driving.

And let me tell you, the moment between you turning the steering wheel and realizing that the car is still going straight and you hitting a unmovable object is not something i want to experience again.
wacko.gif

PS: The funny part (now looking back anyways) was after me and my passenger crawled out of the wreck the first thing we checked was the case of beer in the front trunk, which survived intact.
biggrin.gif
Katmanken
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 12 2013, 02:09 PM) *

Yes, i will be taking this apart. sawzall-smiley.gif

I have a hunch since i have seen the exact same thing (a very long time ago) on a '74 super beetle which was the cause of the only accident i have ever been in in my 30+ years of driving.

wacko.gif

PS: The funny part (now looking back anyways) was after me and my passenger crawled out of the wreck the first thing we checked was the case of beer in the front trunk, which survived intact.
biggrin.gif

Glad to hear you found the problem before an accident, and that you survived a Superbeetle crash

Still think that a horizontal tire in the front is one of the greatest crash barriers/ beer protectors ever. That opinion comes from watching a 74 Superbeetle plow into the rear of a stopped car at 45 mph. The driver climbed out, and immediately opened the front trunk.

Don't remember if the driver looked like you, or if the trunk contained beer. biggrin.gif

mrbubblehead
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 12 2013, 11:09 AM) *

biggrin.gif

av-943.gif and the dead kennedys still blasting on the sterio.
euro911
Never had a steering coupler go, but I agree about the Beetle's spare tire helping in a frontal collision ... BTDT too.

OT - when my wife's '99 Beetle blew up, the song playing on the stereo was 'The End' by the Doors laugh.gif
Woody
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 12 2013, 11:09 AM) *

Same way you steer a moose? confused24.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 12 2013, 05:14 PM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 12 2013, 11:09 AM) *

Same way you steer a moose? confused24.gif

"HAW" - "GEE". Except, I can never remember which is which. biggrin.gif
gms
I have a bunch of extras racks if you need one
McMark
Thanks Glenn! New one is already in with solid coupler.
worn
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 12 2013, 05:55 PM) *

Are the rubber couplers still available? I am not finding them. I haven't checked mine yet, but want to know where to go if it ain't so good.
McMark
The only replacement is to use VW couplers stacked up.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 13 2013, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 12 2013, 05:55 PM) *

Are the rubber couplers still available? I am not finding them. I haven't checked mine yet, but want to know where to go if it ain't so good.

I saw where Auto Atlanta is offering OEM Couplers

STEER.COUPLER
G90134720102 - Genuine Porsche

Price: $109.45

Tangerine Racing Delrin steering couplers go for around $50.

Here is link: http://www.tangerineracing.com/steeringupgrades.htm
nsyr
Been there before. Had the bearings go out on my rack due to some water getting in and rusting the bearings. The bearing assembly holds the pinion gear in place on the rack gear. When the bearings broke apart the pinion would push itself up on the rack gear before moving it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.