Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Sensor Indicators on Gauge Don't Work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
Both the small B light and the main section above don't light up. Any thoughts on where to start looking for the problem confused24.gif
type47
Start looking at the switch activated by the handbrake lever; it's a little push button-ish shaft on the floor. That should activate the parking brake light at the top of the fuel gauge (unless you have an oil temp instead then you have an idiot light which sounds like you do since you refer to a B light). Next to check is the flasher module; same unit controls turn signal flashing. Next check wiring for breaks. Next what others will add .....
Kaduku
QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 14 2013, 04:47 AM) *

Start looking at the switch activated by the handbrake lever; it's a little push button-ish shaft on the floor. That should activate the parking brake light at the top of the fuel gauge (unless you have an oil temp instead then you have an idiot light which sounds like you do since you refer to a B light). Next to check is the flasher module; same unit controls turn signal flashing. Next check wiring for breaks. Next what others will add .....

Idiot light huh, just my luck. I'll start checking those things. This is the only electrical issue I have on my car (knock on wood).
type47
Well, first tell us which gauge you have. Here is a pic of a combo gauge with an oil temp gauge at the top.
Click to view attachment
This has an idiot light with a B; you refer to a "B" in your post but also refer to a section at the top of your gauge which would be a red flashing parking brake warning light on most gauges where the oil temp is on this gauge. This really doesn't matter as I don't think it's part of your original posted question; I think it's a missing or broken wiring or the parking brake handle is not aligned to open the parking brake switch.

Whoops! While searching for a pic of a normal combo gauge, I see that the large area at the top is id'ed with a "B" so that should answer my question about which gauge you have. My bad....

Another thing I found is maybe you have air in the hydraulic brake system. This thread has some info:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=combo+gauge
KELTY360
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Mar 13 2013, 09:28 PM) *

Both the small B light and the main section above don't light up. Any thoughts on where to start looking for the problem confused24.gif

This must be a recent glitch Randy. That B light would come on when you first turn the ignition to 'on' and i know the E-brake light was working. What have you done recently in the area of the dash and fuse box?
Kaduku
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 14 2013, 09:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Kaduku @ Mar 13 2013, 09:28 PM) *

This must be a recent glitch Randy. That B light would come on when you first turn the ignition to 'on' and i know the E-brake light was working. What have you done recently in the area of the dash and fuse box?

Hi Marc, good to hear from you!

First to answer type47's question, the gauge I have don't have a temp sensor like the one you have pictured, it is blank. That B thing is right where the word TEMP is on your gauge.

Marc, the B light does not turn on when I first turn the ignition. When the car first arrived, the turn signal indicators did not work, so I spun the fuses like you did and then they worked.

I will re-spun the fuses and check for the hand brake. I guess in this case, the reset button may not apply right?

I'll report back later. Thanks everyone!
Kaduku
So the manual says to check if the bulb is out. I remove the six screws from the gauge cluster, tried pulling it a little out and it stops as if something is holding on to it.

I don't want to screw up anything, so before I go on, what do I need to do to completely have access to the rear of these gauges?
Kaduku
Okay, I found instructions on how to remove the gauge cluster, which involves the removal of several wires and shit.

You know what, f*ck that! I can live without that light! sheeplove.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Mar 14 2013, 12:18 PM) *
Okay, I found instructions on how to remove the gauge cluster, which involves the removal of several wires and shit.

Why would you remove the whole cluster just to get to the back of one gauge?
confused24.gif

The gauge comes out all by itself, no need to remove the whole cluster ...
popcorn[1].gif
Kaduku
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 14 2013, 12:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Kaduku @ Mar 14 2013, 12:18 PM) *

Why would you remove the whole cluster just to get to the back of one gauge?
confused24.gif

The gauge comes out all by itself, no need to remove the whole cluster ...
popcorn[1].gif

Okay so I am listening. Remember, I used to have three MGBs that was a b*tch to get to the gauges behind the dash. In fact, the only way was to remove the whole dash.

So please tell me how to do this without having to remove any other wire from the other gauges?

Dave_Darling
Pull. That's it. The gauges are held in by the rubber rings they sit in. You can pull and they come right out of the dash.

--DD
Kaduku
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 14 2013, 04:46 PM) *

Pull. That's it. The gauges are held in by the rubber rings they sit in. You can pull and they come right out of the dash.

--DD

Just pull huh. Okay I will do that. German ingenuity, love it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.