Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: engine cooling flaps, thermostat, etc
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
r3dplanet
My most recent unpleasant discovery is that my car completely lacks the cooling flap system. No thermostat or anything. Probably some cool bro took it out to save a few ounces before I bought the car.

Does any one have a complete get-up to sell me? And by complete I mean complete because I have no idea how it really even installs and I don't want to find that I'm missing something small but important.

The engine is a 1973 1.7 liter if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

-marcus
euro911
Marcus, I've got a couple sets of flaps, but no thermostat or cable (don't need the thermostat here in So Cal).

I have a stock set and a freshly blasted set. I can post pix tomorrow ...
lonewolfe
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 14 2013, 09:23 PM) *

Marcus, I've got a couple sets of flaps, but no thermostat or cable (don't need the thermostat here in So Cal).

I have a stock set and a freshly blasted set. I can post pix tomorrow ...

Hey Mark! I need a complete set as well less the thermostat. Let me know if you have an extra set.
r3dplanet
PM sent
etoddy
Check out TheSamba.com for a thermostat- there appear to be several for sale.
There's also a shop out there (I can't recall the name, maybe another can fill in the blank here) that rebuilds them, but it ain't cheap.
After discovering my 912E's thermostat had ruptured, I searched in vain for a replacement, so I chose the latter route. I could tell a HUGE difference between running with and without one.
etoddy
Here's that shop I used. . .
http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/thermosta...ed_rebuilt.html
There's an exploded view at the bottom of the page outlining what parts you need to restore your cooling system.
euro911
Marcus, here's what I found at the shop on Friday. The passenger side flap is not rusted, it's coated with a rust preventive spray I applied after blasting (last year). I never got around to coating the rest of the assembly. You just need to wipe down and paint the color of your choice (preferably, semi-gloss black).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

These are the plastic bushings that the connecting shaft rides in - in the fan housing, and the linkage from the connecting shaft to the passenger side flap.

Click to view attachment

If you're planning on installing a complete system (including a thermostat), there should be a pulley mounted to the driver side of the case just a little forward of and below cylinder #2 that the cable from the thermostat runs through.
The pulley is part # 021 119 769 A (# 48 in the diagram below)
The pulley bolt is part # 271 821 767 (# 47 in the diagram below)
... and a couple of spring plates (retainers for the connecting shaft), # 41 in the diagram below. You can easily make the retainers yourself if OEM ones are hard to find.

Click to view attachment

Awesome Powdercoat manufactures new (correct temp range '85~90' degree) thermostats for $120. click here ...

Click to view attachment

You'll also need the thermostat mount (# 55 in the diagram above) if you don't already have one

Click to view attachment

Awesome Powder coat has the cable too, but they want $10 for it. I think you can get stranded cable at Lowes or Home Depot for less confused24.gif
euro911
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Mar 15 2013, 01:13 AM) *
Hey Mark! I need a complete set as well less the thermostat. Let me know if you have an extra set.
Still looking, Mark. Other than the blasted set in the post above, I only found a spare passenger side flap so far. I'll be at the shop again later today, I'll look some more.
r3dplanet
Awesome 'possum.

I don't have any of it. Beyond the flaps, I don't have the pulley, bolts, hold-downs, nothing. Good to see that the thermostat is for sale somewhere, albeit expensive for what it is. Thanks!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.