Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacuum Leaks & Timing Procedure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JTSmithson
POSTED THIS ON PELICAN ALSO:

Recently acquired a 1974 914 with a 2.0 and a single Weber swapped onto it. It had a decent miss and first thing i did was replace (not related to miss) plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Carb was taken off cleaned up and reassembled (good friend did it, knows Webers TOO well) got it all buttoned back up an restarted this afternoon. The miss it still has sounds more like a vacuum leak or the timing is that far off.

Could someone shed some light on the big major areas where vacuum leaks could occur? Is the connection from the intake tubes to the engine tin a bad place for leaks?

Also what is the procedure for timing this car? Thanks for all the help.

Joe
porschefile2010
I think I've read previous posts here that recommend that all the vacuum lines have hose clips rather than just being pushed on, just to eliminate any leaks anywhere. Lot of hose clips of course.
Mblizzard
Single Weber is not an ideal set up. But check the rubber pieces that connect the intake manifold to the carb plenum. Also check the base of the carb, both manaifolds where they meet the head, and any openings into the plenum. Check the carb it's self. Even though it was redone there is always the chance to miss something.

If you have a hesitation in a single carb application when you open the throttle wide, check your accelerator jet size. If it is smaller than a .60 mm it could be part of the hesitation problem. I changed mine to a .70.
rmital
...I know you said you changed your plugs....did it run well for a while once you did? Even just a "short" period of time??
......if so, check your plugs. What's their condition??

is it just missing on a certain cylinder. you could pull plug wires one at a time and see if it changes running...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.