Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JOE's 2013 Hershey Emergency Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jsayre914
And so it begins.

I have been driving the car every day since the 2056 went in. It goes from Baltimore To York PA multiple times a day. I drive kinda quick and really enjoy the power. Of course there have been hiccups along the way, trying to slow me down. IE clutch pedal pin sheering off, exhaust falling apart, SNOW biggrin.gif , and of course the usual D-Jet Gremlins. Until today.

I adjusted all the valves last week to spec "0" lash, timing is on point. Car is running awesome, comming down 83 when I get to the end of the expressway. Car starts running on 3 WTF.gif then I see the white smoke comming from seemingly under the car. WTF.gif WTF.gif

Pull over and pop the lid, there is a solid quart of oil dripping from the top of the lid, spatter on the side of the bay (driverside) pool of oil on the engine shelf (driver side) and a pool of oil in the middle near the filler.

hissyfit.gif

I take it step by step, holding my chin up.

Wipe all oil away, remove breather box and check all vacume connections. AHHA! The connection from the passenger side port came off of the three way connector going to the air box. BUT WHY ! and why so much oil! and Why is number one no longer firing.

Closer inspection of #1 reveals the fuel pressure regulator in its position is soaked and dripping with oil from the bottom, but clean and dry on the top. Pull the plug wire and the plug is also dripping with oil from the top white area.

O.K. relax breathe

Go to pull the plug to have a peak.

NOPE

Will turn a 1/4 turn and then i can feel the extension start to flex. It is permantly attached to the head. I tried it all. S T U C K

hissyfit.gif

I have a great running 3 cylinder porsche, number one is dead. I have no idea what happend, what I do know is that i have verified spark right down to the plug by putting another plug inline to ground. Verified fuel (switching injectors) and I cant verify compression with a plug in the hole headbang.gif

My Hershey Emergency is officially under way.

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
jsayre914
A Quick History of Hershey and Joseph for the Newbies

Emergency 2012

Emergency 2011

Emergency 2010

Emergency 2009

This is the

OFFICIAL 5th ANNUAL JOE's EMERGENCY THREAD
Dr Evil
Might as well take it back to Tony rolleyes.gif
struckn
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 15 2013, 04:23 PM) *

Might as well take it back to Tony rolleyes.gif

Man that sucks Joe. Hope you get it figured out but I have to agree, get some help from Tony to fix or at least lead you in the right direction to figure out where to start.
Weird that you can't get the plug out.

sad.gif
VaccaRabite
Okay...

You can turn the plug 1/4 turns.
Is there a heli-coil in that spark hole per chance? If so that could be binding.

Was the car making bad noises? Do you need help getting yourself or the car home?

Zach
Elliot Cannon
Worse case is, a valve head broke off, banged repeatedly against the spark plug thus peaning the spark plug to the head which could be the reason you can't remove the plug. sad.gif If this is true, you will also have a nice hole in the top of the piston. I hope I'm wrong.
VaccaRabite
Just got off the phone with Joe.
The car is running on all 4 and climbing up i-83 rapidly. Oil pressure is good. Temps are good.

But he is still loosing #1 at idle.

He said that #1 intake runner is hot to the touch where the others are cool. Sounds to me like an intake valve is slightly stuck open. But he just did a valve adjustment and everything was as expected with the valves.

Zach
Elliot Cannon
At least it's running. biggrin.gif He said he adjusted to "0" lash. Could he have adjusted one too tight? confused24.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 15 2013, 10:02 PM) *

But he just did a valve adjustment

Zach

Loosen them up.
better to hear the tick than burn a valve.

Hot intake runner, popping might be caused by a valve not closing all the way and hot gases going up instead of down.
rich
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 16 2013, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 15 2013, 10:02 PM) *

But he just did a valve adjustment

Zach

Loosen them up.
better to hear the tick than burn a valve.

Hot intake runner, popping might be caused by a valve not closing all the way and hot gases going up instead of down.
rich

This is my theory as well. only thing my feeble mind can think of that would explain what Joe is seeing.

Zach
Woody
agree.gif
saigon71
Brutal news Joe and the timing for Hershey is impeccable. sad.gif

I don't understand the zero lash valve adjustment. Between air cooled VW's with solid lifters and T4 engines, I always thought there had to be some clearance with the enging cold. Does this change with a custom build?

I hope you get everything squared away. Keep us posted and let me know if you need a hand.

rmital
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 16 2013, 02:37 PM) *

I don't understand the zero lash valve adjustment. Between air cooled VW's with solid lifters and T4 engines, I always thought there had to be some clearance with the enging cold. Does this change with a custom build?

popcorn[1].gif
stugray
If you use the Chromoly pushrods, then the lash is supposed to be zero.
With stock pushrods, zero lash would be engine suicide.

It sounds like something drove your crankcase ventilation pressure way too high and blew oil all over the engine bay.
That could be a failed exhaust valve guide (unlikely to happen abruptly to that extent) or a failed ring (more likely).

Sounds like SOMETHING came apart in cyl #1

Stu
VaccaRabite
Using chromolly steel pushrods allows you to set lash to 0.
Since aluminum grows and shrinks at a different rate then steel, and the cylinders are steel, you have to have slop in aluminum pushrods. With the steel rods, they expend at mostly the same rate, so you do not need to have a gap.

That said, you don't want to be tight either. Usually you run the stem in finger tight. trick is not to turn the stem any tighter when you close the lock nut.

Zach
jsayre914
Plug is stuck permanently dry.gif but its still firing biggrin.gif

I checked the valves again and the intake valve on #1 was too tight just like you guys said. I backed it off 1 1/2 turn and got the adjustment. It fired right up and purrrrs again.

so now......

Why did the adjustment change ?

what caused the massive amount of oil on the tin ? (would a hose removed from the crankcase vent cause that amount of loss at high speed)

The intake adjuster is now tight against the rocker arm, this is a swivel foot adjuster and the arm was ground down to get the extra play. The play is now Gone. Is that a huge problem for now?

My car has since run to Baltimore and Back with no more oil loss or misfires.

driving.gif chair.gif smoke.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
Joe, please have Tony look at it.

That engine should last you for years. But if you flog it while somehting is failing it may only last you for months or weeks. At the very least do a compression an leakdown test to make sure its still in the ball park.

Zach
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 20 2013, 03:15 PM) *

The intake adjuster is now tight against the rocker arm, this is a swivel foot adjuster and the arm was ground down to get the extra play. The play is now Gone. Is that a huge problem for now?

Yes.

Could be a dropped seat. Could be a stretching valve. Neither of those things is anything you want to drive on. Not unless you like holes in the heads, the case, and so forth.

Could be less-dangerous stuff, but do you want to risk it?

Between the shrinking valve clearance and the plug that won't come out, I think the head needs to come off. Now.

--DD
jsayre914
I did not drive it today poke.gif

Will drop it by Tony's so he can have a look.

sad2.gif
Dr Evil
You feeling Ok, Joe? You never take advise that you ask for biggrin.gif poke.gif
VaccaRabite
If you bring it over this weekend we could hookup my leak down tester and see ifthere are any obvious issues.just let me know.
struckn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 20 2013, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 20 2013, 03:15 PM) *

Yes.

Could be a dropped seat. Could be a stretching valve. Neither of those things is anything you want to drive on. Not unless you like holes in the heads, the case, and so forth.

Could be less-dangerous stuff, but do you want to risk it?

Between the shrinking valve clearance and the plug that won't come out, I think the head needs to come off. Now.

--DD

agree.gif
Joe this is too weird. What Dave discribed..... "Could be a dropped seat. Could be a stretching valve"....is exactly what Tony told me last year with mine two weeks before Hershey if you remember. Running on three cylinders, valve would not adjust in or out......... it was a dropped seat. Glad you're not messing around and took it to Tony, you did the right thing and saved your engine by doing so, I think.

Doug
r_towle
It runs fine again, most likely it was an over tightened valve that was left open.

Blow back into the heads and or case could cause high pressure in the case or valve covers that might be enough to blow one of the breather hoses off the smooth fittings, then oil blows everywhere.

Barbed fittings for the breathers helps to prevent that...

Stuck plug should be handled by your professional mechanic.
He will remove it and the helicopter coil, then fix it.

Rich
jsayre914
dry.gif The seat was hammerd into the head.....

again.

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Head is now at the machine shop, engine is on Tonys floor, Hershey is 11 days away.

stromberg.gif
jsayre914
sad2.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 9 2013, 08:40 AM) *

again.

Head is now at the machine shop, engine is on Tonys floor, Hershey is 11 days away.

stromberg.gif

Well that blows.
Was there any possible reason mentioned for the failure? Overheating or something like that?

Zach
dirk9141973
blink.gif what does valve hammer in head look like ?
saigon71
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 9 2013, 09:40 AM) *

again.

Sorry to hear the news Joe...please let us know what caused it. sad.gif

stromberg.gif
914_teener
Geez, I am wondering after reading the past threads through the years if these are the same 1.8 heads?

If so.....maybe they are bad castings and time to pitch them. confused24.gif

jsayre914
It has now been 52 days 2 hours and 17 min since my car went to TONY.

I am having serious withdraw.
I went to Tonys yesterday and stood behind a 912 while he was adjusting the carbs. The fumes did take the edge off a little. sad.gif

The head was repaired, the crank was repolished, the bushings that Warrior made for the small end of the rods were bad. everything has been cleaned and I sent my exhaust to Chris for an upgrade on the muffler mount. My car is in the back of the garage waiting to breathe again.

Each week I ask Tony..... how long.....

Each week he always tells me "2 Weeks"
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

I am in good hands.

I am patient.

breathe

relax

I can,t take it.......

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH !!!!!!

smile.gif
Joseph
ChrisFoley
The exhaust is ready to ship to Tony.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 15 2013, 12:58 PM) *

The exhaust is ready to ship to Tony.

Such a nice guy wub.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 10 2013, 12:25 AM) *

Geez, I am wondering after reading the past threads through the years if these are the same 1.8 heads?

If so.....maybe they are bad castings and time to pitch them. confused24.gif

Nope,

these are 2.0 heads, I was switching back and fourth with 2 motors
rgolia
I know how you feel Joe...I am waiting for my wheels to get back to Tony from the re-finisher. Waiting Sucks, especially this time of year. Car is on stands.....and it is 70 degrees outside. I want my wheels....... hissyfit.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(rgolia @ May 15 2013, 04:15 PM) *

I know how you feel Joe...I am waiting for my wheels to get back to Tony from the re-finisher. Waiting Sucks, especially this time of year. Car is on stands.....and it is 70 degrees outside. I want my wheels....... hissyfit.gif

Does that mkean our cars are hanging out togeather?

that does make me feel a little bit better. At least its not lonley
VaccaRabite
That's good news.
Did he dyno the engine? I'd love to know what it's putting out.
Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 15 2013, 05:06 PM) *

That's good news.
Did he dyno the engine? I'd love to know what it's putting out.
Zach

Maybe I miscommunicated confused24.gif

Everything is cleaned sitting in a pile waiting for reassembly.

It will be on the Dyno before he is finished

driving.gif
struckn
Hey Joe, like you told me last year, "the wait will be worth it when you see how good it's going to run after Tony gets done with it".

You were dead on, I never knew how much more fun a great running 914 can be and no more worries.

bye1.gif
jsayre914
66 days 8hrs 7 min

jsayre914
still waiting......
struckn
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 29 2013, 01:52 PM) *

still waiting......

unsure.gif unsure.gif idea.gif I think mine was there eight months confused24.gif
jsayre914
UPDATE:

92 Days and counting since I drove a 914.

dry.gif
76-914
Have you choked anyone, yet?
jsayre914

........... confused24.gif ...........

............................ icon8.gif ............................
Marv's3.6six
[quote name='jsayre914' date='Jul 10 2013, 03:38 PM' post='1893094']

........... confused24.gif ...........

............................ icon8.gif ............................
[/quote

108 days that's nothing......You should not feel that bad you could be me 3055 days since I drove my 914 sad.gif
VaccaRabite
Any word from Tony?
ChrisFoley
You need a spare engine Joe.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 12 2013, 12:54 PM) *

I gave it to Tony dry.gif
rgolia
Again...if it makes you feel any better I am still on jacks stands.....wheels still at the refinisher that Tony sent them to. This was a bad idea...should have just polished them myself.
struckn
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jul 12 2013, 10:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 12 2013, 12:54 PM) *

I gave it to Tony dry.gif

Suck's don't it. My Tags and Inspection exprired when he had mine.
Waiting is frustrating though. Hang in there Joe.

In retro spec knowing what I know, if I had to do it again I'd still take it to him, his work is excellent.

Doug

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.