Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bilstein colors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
datapace
I recently ordered a set of front strut inserts for an '85 911 front end on my teener.

I ordered Bilstein Sport P36-0115. When I took a look at them, I noticed they were green. Aren't all Sports yellow? Did I get the correct Sport inserts I ordered, or get stuck with HD inserts?

Thanks,

-Bryan
Brad Roberts
They also have black.. as long as the part number matches.. you are fine. Dont worry about the color.

The valving is stamped at the top of the shock. Typically XXX-XXX bump/rebound.

B
davep
I have two sets of front & rear Bilstein's. The front struts are green, the rear shocks are yellow as usual. I had Bilstein shock inserts for the front on one car that were yellow. The front struts are pretty rare, the only ones I have seen I own.
mike_the_man
I've got a pair of Bilstein struts as well. They're green. I bought some Bilstein shocks for a 914, but they won't fit into the Bilstein strut. In talking with an engineer at Bilstein, he said that he didn't think that Bilstein struts ever came stock on a 914, and that I would need to use 911 shocks. Does anybody know anything about this?

The Bilstein strut uses a roll pin at the bottom of the strut to hold the shock in, instead of a gland nut. And the shocks that came out of the Bilstein struts are alot different than the new shocks that I got.
davep
Mike, you need to talk with the rep again, and get the inserts for the struts. They were an option on the cars back then. You could just get some regular struts and use the new shock inserts. How bad are the old struts? It have used standard struts if you want to go that route.
mike_the_man
Actually, I bought the struts used from a club member, and he has offered to send me his old struts as well. My Bilstein struts are in good shape, but I can't afford to get new Bilstein shocks to fit it right now. When I talked to the Bilstein rep, he said they only had the one part # for 914 shocks. Any idea what the other part # for shocks to fit the Bilstein struts may be, or any way to track it down?
914werke
Sorta OT but on Bil sport rears (yellow) How do you fit
the OE perches? Or can you? unsure.gif

BTW Dave I also have a set of Bil Yellow Strut inserts that from what I can tell came in my LE Boge (Black) strut Housings. Dont know if they were OE or replaced at some point by the PO.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Dec 11 2005, 08:30 PM)
Sorta OT but on Bil sport rears (yellow) How do you fit
the OE perches? Or can you? unsure.gif

BTW Dave I also have a set of Bil Yellow Strut inserts that from what I can tell came in my LE Boge (Black) strut Housings. Dont know if they were OE or replaced at some point by the PO.

they have their own perch... 6 place adjustable...and it sits on the circlip
user posted image
914werke
I see the circlip pictured but not the pearch? Are you running adjustable perches?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Dec 11 2005, 09:58 PM)
I see the circlip pictured but not the pearch? Are you running adjustable perches?

i am now....

when in doubt steal pics from pelican....
user posted image
davep
I'll agree with Aaron on this. Use the adjustable threaded perch instead of the original. Most aftermarket springs are too short to fit, and must be tied down to keep them in place. Use the threaded perch, and most of these problems are solved. If you are missing the original Bilstein perch, that is a big problem.
914werke
Aaron if you got no need for those OE perches ... I ll take off your hands smile.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Dec 12 2005, 11:10 AM)
Aaron if you got no need for those OE perches ... I ll take off your hands smile.gif

gonna keep em along with a set of welt springs in case i need em....

sorry rich sad.gif
914werke
No issues. wink.gif
Ill place a WTB in the classifieds, someone has got to have a set just hanging around after switching to adjustable perches.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.