Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Started restoring the parts car yesterday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
I started working on the 76 parts car that came with the restored 72 that I bought back in December. It is a father son project. My son is 13. This is not a purist project. Just meant to be fun and learning experience for my son. I taught him how to use the cutting torch yesterday. He really enjoyed that. I'm sure I'll get scolded from someone on here for using a torch and introducing heat. We used it to cut out the fenders to prep for installing the fiberglass flare fenders. The fenders are all rough and lots of bondo and rot so I don't feel bad about cutting them out. The two rear fenders had already been cut out a long time ago and the flairs that had been installed have already rotted off. Anyway, when it is all said and done a basic flair fendered kinda rally sport look is what we are after. I'm not breaking the bank to do this one. Just some bonding time with my son and something to show for it when we are thru.
jdlmodelt
The back fenders that had been raped and pillaged from one of the PO's. smile.gif
pcar916
Great project.

Good luck!
wes
exalent, I have found memories of working with my dad as a young boy, this is somthing he will rember long after you are gone!
BMiller
Very cool. Looking forward to following this one!
914itis
I love father and son projects.

Father and son project project is what got me here to begin with. I started looking for a project to do with my 13 year old son. We were very close and still are . I wanted to keep the great relationship we had and figure that this would give us something Ti always do together. Now with two cars, there is a lot to talk about everyday.

We look forward to everyday to trips shows repairs wrenching sessions etc.....

I will be watching the progress as you post. Please post pictures.

And one more thing. Be safe! Wear safety gears.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(914itis @ Mar 17 2013, 10:30 AM) *

I love father and son projects.

Father and son project project is what got me here to begin with. I started looking for a project to do with my 13 year old son. We were very close and still are . I wanted to keep the great relationship we had and figure that this would give us something Ti always do together. Now with two cars, there is a lot to talk about everyday.

We look forward to everyday to trips shows repairs wrenching sessions etc.....

I will be watching the progress as you post. Please post pictures.

And one more thing. Be safe! Wear safety gears.

Safety goggles...YEP!
jdlmodelt
See! Safety glasses. That's my boy!
jdlmodelt
all the cuts outs done.
jdlmodelt
Initial fitting of flair fenders.
jdlmodelt
The other side.
BMiller
Coming together nicely!
jdlmodelt
Worked on the Porsche again today. I was out of town for a week and I've been rebuilding the 1.7l for my 72 so the 76 project has been neglected. But today, I started fabricating the patch panels. I have about 7 spots to replace. I purchased a long, then today I hand fabricated a section that goes on the rear passenger fender area that the PO cut out too much for the flair fenders. Also fabricated a piece to fit on the passenger rear fender where it has rusted out around the corner of the tail light that should show up in one of the previous photos. I still need to fabricate patches for the two front side markers that will be partially covered by the flair fenders up front and I need to fabricate a vertical section that will go on the driver's front fender between the driver's door and the flair fender. There is a bunch of rot right there. And then finally, there is a complete rot thru over on the hell hole side on the rear passenger's floor near the inner longs and floor. I will try to fab everything up first before I put the car over by the welder that is hard wired to 220VAC. Then try to get everything done in one big long work day. Time for a brew. I'm tired.
I'll get pics some time this week.
Cheers!
James
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.