Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any source or ideas to replace the amber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
So during the process of rebuilding my gauge the yellow lens cover fell apart on me. Any ideas where to get a replacement or any brillant ideas.

Thanks

Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
Leave it out, and install a biometric finger scanner. It would be cool to start your car that way!
Pat Garvey
Have you trried VDO for a replacement?
Eric_Shea
Call Hartmut at Palo Alto/North Hollywood
913B
No luck with NH speedo. They sold out of their supply.
I don't want to open a used gauge and risk another 40 year old part. Yeah i could a post it or something but i would like to keep it original appearance. Any other leads ?
Valy
Amber like this cap? Costco seems to have planty in stock.
And if this isn't the right color, I think you got the idea.
Click to view attachment
slothness
Well its rather crude, but when I replaced the gels in my tach I used color correction film gels. Cover the front and back with matte scotch tape and you have a new gel. If you can get your hands on one of these swatches there are hundreds of colors to choose from.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Rotary'14
QUOTE(slothness @ Mar 19 2013, 08:45 AM) *

Well its rather crude, but when I replaced the gels in my tach I used color correction film gels. Cover the front and back with matte scotch tape and you have a new gel. If you can get your hands on one of these swatches there are hundreds of colors to choose from.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

agree.gif
I like slothness's simple solution.
HarveyH
I always had a lot of trouble seeing the high beam indicator, so much so I was sure the bulb was actually burned out.

I decided to clean things up and install LED bulbs and found the lens was almost totally opaque.
Click to view attachment

Looking around at the local craft store I found these for $2.99:
Click to view attachment
The backs are silvered but a few wipes on 1000 grit wet or dry removes it. Check the blue jewel, second from the right to see the result. Lots of color choices too.

A bit of JB Weld on the back of the instrument face:
Click to view attachment

And inside the rubber light shroud:
Click to view attachment

And try it out with a blue LED:
Click to view attachment

I thought the single jewel on the instrument face might make the light too bright so I added the second into the light shroud, YMMV...

Harvey
Kaduku
QUOTE(HarveyH @ Apr 12 2013, 06:24 PM) *

I always had a lot of trouble seeing the high beam indicator, so much so I was sure the bulb was actually burned out.

I decided to clean things up and install LED bulbs and found the lens was almost totally opaque.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
The backs are silvered but a few wipes on 1000 grit wet or dry removes it. Check the blue jewel, second from the right to see the result. Lots of color choices too.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I thought the single jewel on the instrument face might make the light too bright so I added the second into the light shroud, YMMV...

Harvey

Very nice!

slothness
QUOTE(HarveyH @ Apr 12 2013, 06:24 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Harvey

Damn Harvey! Like a boss.

Nice work.
Mblizzard
Is there a still a good source for LED dash lights?
HarveyH
Superbright LEDs, for the BA7s type bulbs.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba...-bulb-1-led/10/

Didn't realize the heater/defrost/fresh air control panel used the Osram 2721 bulb like the heater blower indicator down by the heater control lever until I pulled the panel down headbang.gif (what a PITA...) headbang.gif The LED equivalent for the 2721 is available but I haven't tried them.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/2721/

Harvey
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.