Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Need to test something
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Can some of you folks go to 2Yellow.com and click over to the graphics page and play the video. It is a streaming WMV file. It buffered quickly for me, but I would like to make sure that it starts relatively quickly for all.

Thanks!
-sean
rick 918-S
confused24.gif Nothing clickable to play a video. It could just be me... You know... me and computers.... headbang.gif

edit: I found the video under graphic design not under video production. Really cool.
Meredith
It's been about 4 minutes and it's only 41% buffered. Could just be my computer? confused24.gif
sj914
My computer downloaded the whole file before it played.
dlo914
quite a large file, but instead of having it upload as a temp file i downloaded the file onto my computer instead and played it off of Windows Media. 2words GOOD JOB smilie_pokal.gif
Jeroen
Hey Sean,

Very impressive clip!

IMHO, it might be better to make it clear what visitors are going to expect
Mine didn't start playing automatically until the entire video was downloaded, which takes a while
Others may not be as patient, specially if they don't know exactly what they're waiting for
Might be a good idea to add a page which just simply displays the logo's you've been showing in the vid as well.
Jeroen
Oh... one more thing...
No offence, but the website doesn't look near as good/professional as the work you guys pull off
In your line of work, that'd be a big no-no

(yeah, I know, always a critic. But I mean it to be constructive biggrin.gif)
ematulac
Firefox downloaded the whole thing first. Took about 3 minutes.

IE took a while to find it ... buffered about 20% of it then started playing while the rest downloaded.

Very slick video, by the way! smilie_pokal.gif
azbill
Down loaded in about 30 sec or less using a fiber optic setup. the vido look good
spare time toys
No problems it loaded and started with out a hitch. Not much of a story but I cried when they shot the dog ohmy.gif
aircooledboy
I've got DSL here at the office. I let it buffer 5%, then hit play, it didn't catch up to the buffer until about 1/2 through the video, and then it locked up. Did it again, allowing allowing 15% to buffer (took about 30 sec.s) before hitting play, made it all the way through that way.

Nice presentation, but I got all excited when I saw "Hilton" thinking something "special" might be coming up. w00t.gif
Joe Bob
Started right up for me....I saw MUELLER on it.....weeeeeeeeee
SirAndy
QUOTE(Meredith @ Nov 18 2004, 03:59 PM)
It's been about 4 minutes and it's only 41% buffered.

agree.gif 4:36 before it started playing, it had buffered 66% at that time and the whole clip played smooth while it was downloading the rest ...

pretty nice clip, how big is it in size?
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
seanery
Thanks guys!

Jeroen, don't even get me started on the webpage...

So, it buffered for some and not for others...interesting...gotta think about this some.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Nov 18 2004, 04:16 PM)
No offence, but the website doesn't look near as good/professional as the work you guys pull off
In your line of work, that'd be a big no-no

agree.gif the site needs work!

biggrin.gif Andy
seanery
Andy,
I think it's 24 megs.
I tried some other codecs but wasn't happy with the image quality, so I ended up with a 24 meg file, which isn't too bad because most folks have broadband of some sort.
Pnambic
The buffering issue is more a client side issue than server side. I think it just depends on the way a person has their computer set up. In Media Player, you can go to Tools --> Options --> Performance and set the buffer however you like it. I don't know if there's a way to override that.
tommy914
I guess I'm a little late.
But anyway. it started right up for me.
I'm on cable (time warner) and using windows media player 9 under windows 98.
64Mb geforce 2 video.
256MB ram, P4 1.7

there was some slight popping in some of the audio, almost sounded like an old LP. could be my cheap on board audio, but I haven't noticed it while playing any other music.

Otherwise, it looked and sounded great.
Meredith
It finished buffering soon after, but it wasn't playing.

Then I rememberd to press the "play" button. wacko.gif
Mrs. K
wacko.gif be careful Mer, Howard will call you "blonde" again!

Lisa laugh.gif
GWN7
It took just over 3 min to load here. Looked good.

beerchug.gif
Gint
Took me 5 minutes to download, but my Sprint Wireless was never the fastest. I haven't viewed it yet. Obviously since I downloaded first, buffering won't be an issue anyway. And I believe that (download or stream) is pretty much a browser config issue.
seanery
OK, I'm gonna need some more help here. Since you all say our web page sucks (it does) it's time for me to do it and fix the mess. This is what I would like it to look like. The text will roll over as the "Video Production" shows. I would like all of the action to take place inside the ring where the YELLOW logo is now. Can I do that without Flash? (cuz I don't know it) Any other ideas?

Thanks again!
-sean
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Nov 18 2004, 06:37 PM)
Any other ideas?

you could cut it in frames (or use a ! stromberg.gif !) ...

BUT, frames are always rectangles, so you would have to compromise some of the area inside the circle ...

i HATE all flash web-sites ...
<_< Andy
Pnambic
Using CSS, you can layer the items on the page. That would allow you to use slightly larger rectangles for the info in the middle as the corners could be hidden behind the ring. Only problem with CSS right now is the really cool CSS features aren't supported the same in each of the browsers. So it might take good deal of tweaking.

Oughta be a fun project though!
seanery
I saw something about CSS in GoLive and in the source code on that web page you sent me to.

What the hell is CSS? confused24.gif
Tom Perso
Mine started playing after about 10secs of buffering.

Media Player 10 on XPSP2, GeForce video on an 1.8Ghz, 768mb of RAM.

I heard the popping as well in the codec, probably just encoding.

Looks great though! I work closely with streaming media at work, we Multicast across a WAN (now THAT's FUN and pisses off the Telecomm guys to no end).

later,
Tom
redshift
AEEEEEEEEEEIIIII!!!! MY EYES!!!!!!!!

wacko.gif

Nice buddy! It buffers ok for me, I did have a doodad at :59, and @ 3:41 for a second... but nice job.

M
Pnambic
CSS = Cascading Style Sheets

First designed to facilitate the easy managment of fonts and color schemes and stuff. It was later developed into a much more flexible and powerful tool controlling darn near everything. It can cntrol the entire layout of a page down to the pixel (a lot better then tables) but its not as well supported. DOH!
Jeroen
The circle looks very cool. Should be fun to work it out.

Having said that, write your content first. Think about what you wanna show on your site and build the layout around that

It's easier (and you usually gets better results) if you do it that way then trying to fit your content into something that looks cool (but is a PITA for your visitors to browse around on)
seanery
the content won't change for now. No one wants to write anything, so we're stuck with what we have but presenting it in a better fashion. sad.gif
redshift
Same way Porsche model development worked for nearly 40 years Sean.

wink.gif

M
seanery
testing...gif version
seanery
Just because it isn't complicated enough already.
I want the user to be able to switch at any time between the black chrome background or the yellow chrome background. I think I have this one licked...but the other main part is tricky, although I am confident tomorrow will be fruitful...

this is the yellow chrome.
Howard
Buffered and played fine for me, but there was a ghost in the video. My machine?
hargray2
Started playing after 12 secs. and finished downloading way before the video ended.
I heard the popping in the audio too.
rick 918-S
I love the circle idea. It looks like a fish eye lens. (camera lens) Is that what you were after? Cool.
Jeroen
Sean, I like the first circle best, because the "Yellow" logo has the best contrast in that one
The second still has some contrast, but it doesn't make the logo stand out as good as the first one.
The third hardly has any contrast with the "yellow" logo and therefore focus on the logo is lost.

As much as I like the look of the background effect, it takes attention away from the logo. Not good IMO

Beyond that, it would be a PITA to put content/text over a background like that (readability would be crap)

For web-design, I always go with the rule: less is more, simple is good

Just my € 0,02

cheers,

Jeroen
redshift
Damn, Jeroen.... advice is cheaper for you... you only needed to throw out 1.65 cents..

smile.gif

ohmy.gif

I din't mean to say damn!

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.