Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche POLO motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Harpo
I had always assumed that the type 4 was also used in the 912. However it seems that they used a polo motor instead. It actually looks like a 6 cylinder less 2 cylinders.

Has anyone used one of these in a 914? Any more power to be gained? Advantages & disadvantages?

Thanks

DAvid
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Harpo @ Mar 18 2013, 02:43 PM) *

I had always assumed that the type 4 was also used in the 912. However it seems that they used a polo motor instead. It actually looks like a 6 cylinder less 2 cylinders.

Has anyone used one of these in a 914? Any more power to be gained? Advantages & disadvantages?

Thanks

DAvid

The 912E (1976 model year only) used the 2.0L 914 motor but with the 1.8L Fuel Injection system (Bosch L instead of Bosch D) if memory serves correctly.

The Polo used an inline 4 cylinder water cooled engine.
Cupomeat
The earlier 912s used a 356SC motor so all of the 912s had a flat 4, air cooled motor.

agree.gif the polo was always a water cooled straight 4... UNLESS there is something I don't know about Polo motors (Well, there probably are MANY things I don't know about Polo motors)
mepstein
Not a Porsche motor but uses Porsche parts and design. Very cool, very expensive.

http://www.polomotor.com/
JmuRiz
Yep, bring at least $30k to have a polo in your car wink.gif
Very cool engines for swb long hood 912s and 356s...just lots of money.
Eric_Shea
My Guess is you saw Chris Pomares 912 with a Polo motor installed. That motor cost more than a 914-6 does these days. It's the only one we know of as of yet.

Original 912's used the remaining 356 engines.

912E models used the remaining 914 engines.
nathansnathan
This image of a 912e motor is really cool smile.gif
IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(Harpo @ Mar 18 2013, 02:43 PM) *
However it seems that they used a polo motor instead. It actually looks like a 6 cylinder less 2 cylinders.

That's not a VW Polo motor, it's a motor designed by Dean "Polo" Polopolus and they are custom build aftermarket engines.

shades.gif
mepstein
POLO
ThePaintedMan
Marco? biggrin.gif
Harpo
That is what I saw. Thanks Mepstein. There is not much info on that web site. If only $ grew on trees. How much HP is is supposto have?

DAvid
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 18 2013, 03:30 PM) *

POLO

SirAndy,

Thanks the correction. Dean works out of the San Diego area.
Ya 911 motor missing 2 cylinders.
cary
I saw one on a Beck Spyder
Really impressive.
Concur, its a 911 engine with 2 cylinders chopped off.
mepstein
QUOTE(Harpo @ Mar 18 2013, 07:55 PM) *

That is what I saw. Thanks Mepstein. There is not much info on that web site. If only $ grew on trees. How much HP is is supposto have?

DAvid

~180hp and fits into a 356 or 912 nicely. I'm sure it would work great for one of our 914's but (me personally) why pay $30K for a polo motor when a 911 motor can be had for $5-10K and 914's were made to fit a 6. Weight savings for a polo engine would be less than 200lbs. Cool factor not withstanding.
Chris H.
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 18 2013, 05:33 PM) *

Marco? biggrin.gif

Polo. (someone had to....)
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 18 2013, 09:50 PM) *

DAvid

~180hp and fits into a 356 or 912 nicely. I'm sure it would work great for one of our 914's but (me personally) why pay $30K for a polo motor when a 911 motor can be had for $5-10K and 914's were made to fit a 6. Weight savings for a polo engine would be less than 200lbs. Cool factor not withstanding.

Wouldn't a 6 fit just as well into a 912?

Zach
Eric_Shea
Yes, but the entire 912 philosophy (don't tell them the factory was just using up the leftover engine supply) is a lighter, more nimble car with better balance.

A six would ruin the entire 912 mystique.

wink.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 19 2013, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 18 2013, 09:50 PM) *

DAvid

Zach

Yes but an older swb 912 really does drive nice with a light engine in the back. I think this engine was mostly intended for hot 356's.
wes
Canepa Motorsport had on display at Rennsport Laguna Seca Oct 2011 a 911/4, 2.5 Liter, 4 cylinder engine, 200 Horsepower 185 F/Lb Torque! Looks really nice and the guy I spoke with had an estimate on $$ but it was so high it flew in one ear and ya out the other, I have a picture but cant post it.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(wes @ Mar 19 2013, 04:18 PM) *

Canepa Motorsport had on display at Rennsport Laguna Seca Oct 2011 a 911/4, 2.5 Liter, 4 cylinder engine, 200 Horsepower 185 F/Lb Torque! Looks really nice and the guy I spoke with had an estimate on $$ but it was so high it flew in one ear and ya out the other, I have a picture but cant post it.

That would be 50hp per 625cc, it can be done but I always consider figures like that in an N/A carbed engine as optimistic. Funny that it has less torque than HP.
QUOTE(wes @ Mar 19 2013, 01:18 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

The guy you spoke to was most likely Dean P who developed it. I saw him at Laguna that week.
wes
Now that you mention it, I beleave you are righ,t Dean and yes he was the one who deveolped tha one!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 19 2013, 07:35 AM) *

It requires some cutting and welding; the mounts are not identical. I know someone who had her car converted--some of us called it a "912-6".

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 19 2013, 01:51 PM) *
Funny that [the one Polo motor] has less torque than HP.

That's expected from an engine you spin quickly. In fact, it's expected from pretty much any small-displacement engine that makes a bunch of power...

--DD
bugsy0
The valve covers on the Dean Popolus engine are cute. They have a cast "PORSCH" embossment, as if a 6 was run through a very capable band saw, removing the front 2 cyls.
bugsy0
...or rear two cylinders, as it is.
Bullethead
QUOTE(bugsy0 @ Mar 20 2013, 12:29 AM) *

The valve covers on the Dean Polopolus engine are cute. They have a cast "PORSCH" embossment, as if a 6 was run through a very capable band saw, removing the front 2 cyls.

Or you can get these nice covers from the guy that does the castings for the Polo4. This is my 2.2, Dean delivered it at RRIV... still haven't installed it in my 356.
After waiting two years (Dean builds them to order and you don't rush perfection) when it goes in, it'll be with the right gearbox.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

There are another two 912's currently being built with these engines, Chris's 2.4 was the first. IIRC, first with injection, too. Much lighter than a Porsche 6.
mepstein
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Mar 20 2013, 02:38 AM) *

QUOTE(bugsy0 @ Mar 20 2013, 12:29 AM) *

The valve covers on the Dean Polopolus engine are cute. They have a cast "PORSCH" embossment, as if a 6 was run through a very capable band saw, removing the front 2 cyls.

Or you can get these nice covers from the guy that does the castings for the Polo4. This is my 2.2, Dean delivered it at RRIV... still haven't installed it in my 356.
After waiting two years (Dean builds them to order and you don't rush perfection) when it goes in, it'll be with the right gearbox.

There are another two 912's currently being built with these engines, Chris's 2.4 was the first. IIRC, first with injection, too. Much lighter than a Porsche 6.

Russ - Looks terrific!
Harpo
Clewett Engineering has a 2.6L on thier website

DAvid
campbellcj
From Rennsport IV:

IPB Image
4-cylinder "911" engine by cjcam, on Flickr
campbellcj
Dunkels meet in 2001! (These things have been around a while).

IPB Image
4-cylinder Porsche 911 engine! by cjcam, on Flickr
cmpski
For more info on specs of the 912 Polo engine and future Polo 912's go to www.PompoloDesign.com
The engine in this car has full engine management, 11.3 to 1 CR, ported 993 twin plug heads, titanium valves,etc. The whole car has been upgraded. 914 transmission with custom gears, 69 to 71 901 911 hose cone, and wavetrac tbd. Some of Eric's very cool brakes. Pete Stout liked them and had Eric make him up a set if I'm correct and a ton of other stuff. It's not a 914 but the Polo would work in your cars. The car was written up for the 3rd time last month in Flatsixes online.
I've had a 914 2.0 and a 914-6 with a 2.2S. I think a 914 Polo would be awesome.
Chris Pomares
nein14
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 22 2013, 11:43 PM) *

Dunkels meet in 2001! (These things have been around a while).

IPB Image
4-cylinder Porsche 911 engine! by cjcam, on Flickr

wub.gif I want one with motec FI and twin turbos the ultimate 914 GT turbo driving.gif
cmpski
Here are a few pictures of a POLO engine with fuel injection and crank fire ignition.
http://www.pompolodesign.com/
JmuRiz
Your ears burning with people talking Polo motors?
Any luck selling the 912 yet?
cmpski
It appears the car is a keeper. I've had offers of 135 but I couldn't rebuild a car to this level for that. 10 months ago I thought I could sell it for north of 150 pocket a little money and build another one. Maybe even a 914 POLO car. Well prices and parts have gone up so much for both I can't make that happen unless prices come back down. Who knows if or when that might happen so I'll probably go retrieve it in the next month or so. I have several improvements I'll do to the car over next winter.
And yes I talk to someone several times each week about POLO engines. There is quite a bit of interest in that engine. My site gets about 75 views a day from all over the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWMnx1yxvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmMtdIfX-Yk

Dean 's new web site address is www.PoloMotor.com
Johny Blackstain
I have to admit I really like the way this motor looks & hope it would perform as nice as it appears. If I ever built myself a Beck 550 I think I'd give this engine a try, along w/ a 916 tranny & disc brakes all around. Not very authentic but so what? smile.gif
JmuRiz
Very cool...I don't blame you for keeping it, not worth selling such a cool car at a loss.

I need to find new job so I can afford one for my SC...and to have Scotty paint it. Just a pipe dream.
cmpski
Beyond saving weight the engine is 6 to 8 inches shorter. That would pull the fan away from the 914 firewall the same amount. You guys know the 914's better than me. Would that help with air flow to the fan?
MMW
Here is a thread with some cool pics of a new Polopolus being built by Justin Rio for one of his 356s.
http://www.abcgt.com/forum/6-Hot-Rod--Modi...oupe-58367.html

cmpski
Here is a POLO also being built with 3.8RS parts. You'll find more of this engine here. Sorry about two of the same picture. I don't know how to remove a picture..

http://www.pompolodesign.com/-912-polo-car...-the-works.htmlClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(bugsy0 @ Mar 19 2013, 08:30 PM) *
...or rear two cylinders, as it is.
Um ... the two middle cylinders.
cmpski
Yes, but the entire 912 philosophy (don't tell them the factory was just using up the leftover engine supply) is a lighter, more nimble car with better balance.

A six would ruin the entire 912 mystique.
Eric Shea

Here is a article that covers Eric's point of the left over 616 engines and Porsche's first try at a 4 cylinder Porsche engine.
From what I've heard Porsche will be offering a turbo 4 in the next couple of years.
By the way. The 356 SC made 95hp. The 912 engine was slightly detuned to 90hp to make it easier for first time Porsche owners to drive in the city.

Dean only cut 2 cases. A ruined mag case for a trial fit and one 3 liter case that he made a working engine out of. He has a degree in mechanical engineering. He then designed a 4 cylinder case and has it cast out of aluminum.

http://www.pompolodesign.com/netherlands-article.html

http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/205/a...re#.U6dnqPldXDW
euro911
912s are a little better balanced because the weight of the motor sits more forward than a 911 motor, as well as reduced motor weight.

My '67 (911) started out in life as a 912. I was planning to convert it back and have two 912 motors for it ('68 and a '69). I also have most of the components to build up a 1720 including a complete case.

I'll probably sell the '67 'as is' and keep the 912s as spares for my '66.
cmpski
I took the alternator out to have it checked. Rated at 50 amps but produced 60 amps. With fuel injection and the lights on I probably need more like 75 amps. I'll deal with that this winter along with a couple other projects. I took a few pictures. At 8000 miles the engine is dry as Mohave bones! This engine is unreal. Wait till you see the other 912 POLO engines coming down the line. I talked to Dean for about a hour the other evening. A couple of 60 something guys just jacked about what we're doing. 1 in KC, 1 in Spain, 3 in CA, 1 in Asia. One of which is like a 2.8 with a monster cam, BIG ports, etc. My car is FAST, it will be killer. I can't wait for all of us to get together in a year or two for a drive. Over the next year or so I'll have some neat additions for my car. Life is truly very goodClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Hijack......
That AC compressor mount in post # 7 looks ideal for a 914 4 cyl.
Just substitute a rotary unit to reduce size and gain smoothness.
cmpski
A link to a POLO engine kit offer

http://www.912bbs.org/vb/showthread.php?46...ngine-kit-offer
Chris
JmuRiz
Wow, wish i had the money!
1720 in my 356sc is awesome, but a polo would be awesome-er.
Does the kit include p/c and heads or are those buyer purchased.
FourBlades
They should be adding 2 cylinders to the flat 6 not taking 2 away. biggrin.gif

With a horizontal fan to reduce the overall length.

That would be a sick motor.

John
cmpski
The flat 8 is indeed a awesome engine better suited to the 914 than a 911 or 912.
A POLO 4 is fast enough for me and the weight behind the rear axle needs to be kept to a minimum on the SWB cars.

Also if you contact Dean mention the 912 Registry thread to get in on the offer.
Chris
jd74914
Very cool! Thanks for adding so many pictures!

The only thing I don't like is the collectors on all of the exhausts; they seem like they converge far too quickly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.