Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not sure what these wires are
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
This metal box, with wires connected to it, is back by the transmission near the little black box that hangs under the transmission. The red wire conector would probably fall off if I pushed it with my finger (an easy fix), but I'm not sure what it is or what that electrical box is.
The other more disturbing item is the black cord hanging down on the exhaust (chewed up) that runs from the front of the car into the transmissoin.
Does anyone know what these are off hand?

Thanks in advance.

Click to view attachment
Jesse
Reverse light switch?
914itis
Starter Relay?
McMark
The black box thing is a starter solenoid and is used to help revive a tiring starter and/or keep the amount of power flowing through the ignition switch behind the key. Nothing fancy about the connectors, you can crimp on new ones if you wish.

The cable circled at the bottom of your picture is the wires for the reverse light switch. But I'm not sure what you mean by
...that runs from the front of the car into the transmissoin...

Those wires clearly join the large yellow wire in the loom just like a factory harness. But if your reverse lights are working, leave them alone.
ericoneal
Thats very helpful. I have noticed that the drivers side reverse lights ARE out.
Also, this car is really hard to start when its hot, almost like its not getting enough power. Maybe the loose red wire is to blame? NOt sure because it starts just fine whem its warm which makes me think it may be the AAR valve. (This is all still new to me)

Thanks!
Eric

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 18 2013, 09:45 PM) *

The black box thing is a starter solenoid and is used to help revive a tiring starter and/or keep the amount of power flowing through the ignition switch behind the key. Nothing fancy about the connectors, you can crimp on new ones if you wish.

The cable circled at the bottom of your picture is the wires for the reverse light switch. But I'm not sure what you mean by
...that runs from the front of the car into the transmissoin...

Those wires clearly join the large yellow wire in the loom just like a factory harness. But if your reverse lights are working, leave them alone.

Dave_Darling
The AAR doesn't have anything to do with cranking over the motor.

If the engine cranks but doesn't catch, the starter isn't the problem. (The AAR is almost certainly not the problem either.)

AAR and starter are completely separate systems.

--DD
ericoneal
I just went out and pulled that red wire off and tried to start the car. Wouldnt turn over. I reconnected it and mashed the sh*t out of it with some pliers and she fired right up! piratenanner.gif
I will need to replace the connector, but I think this may fix the starting problem I have had since I bought it. beerchug.gif

My day has been made.

QUOTE(Da fve_Darling @ Mar 18 2013, 10:15 PM) *

The AAR doesn't have anything to do with cranking over the motor.

If the engine cranks but doesn't catch, the starter isn't the problem. (The AAR is almost certainly not the problem either.)

AAR and starter are completely separate systems.

--DD

sfrenck
I'll take a guess:

"the black cord hanging down on the exhaust (chewed up) that runs from the front of the car into the transmission" = ground wire from the battery to the transmission (used with or instead of the transmission ground strap)
McMark
the reverse lights are both or nothing. If one is working and the other isn't, it's the bulb and/or the housing, not the wires at the transmission. If both aren't working it's any of the following: switch, wiring, bulb, housing.
luskesq
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 18 2013, 07:40 PM) *

the reverse lights are both or nothing. If one is working and the other isn't, it's the bulb and/or the housing, not the wires at the transmission. If both aren't working it's any of the following: switch, wiring, bulb, housing.

, or the actuating pin.

Keith
Jmedeiros
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 18 2013, 07:40 PM) *

Start with the bulb!! :-)
rhodyguy
the solenoid is a bandaid some po installed trying to save some money. it may not work all of the time. usually at the least opportune moment. buy a new starter.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.