Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Papa Surf got some winter upgrades
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
Posted this over in the Paddock, but more of you know me over here....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=206431

So we spent all winter fitting up a new decklid, wing, splitter, lightweight fiberglass roof, etc only to break a Carillo rod on the third lap out at the Roebling Road PCA race. headbang.gif

No idea what happened, still working on that....

But here's a picture of Papa with his new clothes. They still need to be painted, no the exhaust is not for him (its from the M3 off to the right)...oh, and the engine is not in the car in this picture....yes, that's how stiffly sprung it is...

Click to view attachment
stuttgart46
I have always loved this car and it just gets better and better.
Cap'n Krusty
Sorry to hear of your mechanical disaster. Might wanna contact Jim Durish at Cunningham Rods for a nice upgrade in your next set of high performance connecting rods. (310) 538-0605
Sorry to hear of the failure. Please post your findings of cause of concern.
Good luck on the rebuild.
Rleog
Good to see the Smurf again. Any chance it'll be giving the Targa another go?
naro914
Well...finally got a chance to send out the crank so it can be inspected and figure out what went wrong. Had another crank that might need some work too, so it went with it, along with the rods, bearings etc so they can all be matched up correctly.

Ordering new 11.5:1 pistons (figured now a good a time as any to upgrade from 10.5:1), few cylinders (damaged 3)

Need to flush out the entire oil system for metal parts.

Gotta get the wing/decklid/roof painted, uprights powder coated and a bunch of other little things.

Need a little repair on the case, nothing major. Once all the parts come together, back in the car with the new 915 trans.

So much for a relaxing Spring..
naro914
QUOTE(Rleog @ Mar 19 2013, 03:46 PM) *

Good to see the Smurf again. Any chance it'll be giving the Targa another go?

For some reason I thought I replied to this...guess not.

Targa was with Huey - yellow and blue. Papa Smurf is the full race car.

Pics of both in my sig link to NaroEscape Motorsports
r_towle
Huey is mad at your for putting the wing on Papa.
Go drive Huey.
naro914
Actually took Huey out this weekend for a run around the block. Got in, turned the key and he started right up!!

It's been WAY too cold and rainy to drive Huey lately. But, he's going on a nice weekend in the mountains in a couple weeks with a bunch of other Porsches!!

He's getting an oil change and new tires for the drive...
Al Meredith
I missed you and the Carolina group this past weekend at Road "A" Was saving youall a place behind the RV . Al Meredith
naro914
Thanks Al. I really wish we could have been there. James with the Turbo #45 was there - won the entire group! (Group 2??)

Cairo94507
Sorry to hear about the rod. Love your cars though. Best wishes.
carr914
Still Wondering how you broke a Carillo - any Pictures?
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 26 2013, 05:35 AM) *

Still Wondering how you broke a Carillo - any Pictures?

Yes, how does one break a C rod.. sounds like engine spun a rod bearing.
naro914
Here's the history:
Back in September, we spun a rod bearing (at Roebling of all places). Sent the crank away to CCR out in California - THE guy that all the big shops I know of use for crank work. He fixed the crank, did all the stuff needed (nitrite, opened oil passages, etc., etc).

And it's that exact same rod on that journal that 'failed'. Was it the rod or the rod bolts that failed due to the heat of the previous spun bearing? did the bearing spin again? did the repair fail? No idea. Just sent the crank back out to CCR for him to analyze. He was VERY concerned and said he would take care of whatever happened. I sent him a second crank along with it, plus all the rods and a new replacement for the broken one, new bearings, etc. So...we'll see.

I'll get a picture of the rod tomorrow.
carr914
My Experience tells me that unless you have a Long-Term Relationship with a Builder, the guy screwed up and probably not make you whole. In the End it wil Cost you $$ and will the next Crank/Rod/Bearing be any Better. If you need further Consult I know a guy that is Good & much closer
naro914
Hey TC
While I would normally completely agree with you here, Armando (of CCR) came highly recommended by Gordon at Autometrics, Bill Rutner (Rutner Racing), Peter Dawes and others. He actually took very good care of me on the original work he did, and has vowed to help me out here. I can't say it was his fault to begin with. As I said, it could have easily been stressed rod or bolts, things he had nothing to do with. My engine builder/mechanic - Lou at Exclusive Motorwerks - is building it again free of charge with my help (I'm just paying for parts). I think he was as upset as I was that our weekend at Roebling was ruined. We came home late Friday night and he had the engine out and apart by Saturday morning because he couldn't sleep....

We'll see....
carr914
Good Then - let us know
naro914
Happy Easter everyone...
pics of the broken Carillo rod

Things get very violent in an engine...

obvious to me is, it started with either a spun bearing, or a bolt backed out allowing the rod to slip, overhead and stress. Question is...why? Bolts were tight - I was helping Lou when he built it and watched everything. He's very methodical and checks and rechecks everything. Was the bolt weak? Dunno. Did the bearing spin in some fashion? yes, but was it because the crank was not repaired correctly or what?? We may never know...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
What ever the cause, The bearing was spinning before you left the pits..
with that much heat build up.

A long time ago there was a 3.0 RSR that blew 3 Frans Blam race engines back to back, at 30k each, The car was sold the new owner was cleaning all the oil lines and discovered the suction line had separated from the outer causing it to collapse under suction, thus killing the engines. There is a coiled steel spring that can be wound in suction lines to prevent the collapse.

since this is your 2nd, there maybe some other cause,,IDK confused24.gif

Hope you find a solution beerchug.gif
tomeric914
What location on the crank is the rod that broke?

I'm in Charlotte for business a few times a year. I'd love to see your cars in person if possible!
naro914
Absolutely any time your in Charlotte, look me up!!

I believe it was cylinder #2... Middle passengers side
tomeric914
That's weird. Possible blocked case side passageway to the bearing?

IPB Image

I'll drop you a PM the next time I'm headed your way. beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.