Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 30 year old calipers need rebuilding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alauder
Everyone should rebuild their brakes if they are the originals.

Both rear calipers were leaking so I decided to completely strip down all the brakes and rebuild them from scratch.

It is astonishing that any of them worked at all. There was rust and gunk all over them. Picture shows rust around the piston. I had to blow them out with compressed air which was fun. Goes off like a gun when the finally come out.

Anyway, I will bead blast and re plate the halves and clean everything up then post some pictures of them rebuilt.
alauder
Pic
McMark
Did you take apart the handbrake mechanism? If so, where did you get your kit?
alauder
I did take appart the hand brake mechanism. I have a kit from Plican Parts but still need to find the 25 mm freze plugs that are not included.

Does anyone know where you can get these?
alauder
After sand blasting.
yellowFV
the before anfter pic of the caliper looks good... I am getting ready to dive into overhauling a set of calipers for the first time.

What type of plating process is used ?

Any tips for getting started with a couple of frozen calipers ?

I've got the re-build kits and picked up the o-ring kits to cover the o-rings

rob wellner
elocke
I'm in the process of rebuilding another set of calipers. I had to buy a grease gun to get the front pistons out; 90 psi of air was not enough. The gun came set up for 1/8" NPT fittings, which will go a few turns loosly into the calipers. I sprayed the rears with Break Free penetrant for about a week before I attempted to move the adjuster screws. One of the inner rears wouldn't move, but it would with the e-brake lever, so I worked it a few times and eventually got it.
Last time I bought freeze plugs from a local FLAPS.
I originally looked into plating then just used silver POR15 after sandblasting. 1 1/2 years and approx 5kmi and they're still looking good.
Ed
Rhodes71/914
This is my next project after I get my 2.0 put back together and in the car.
neo914-6
alauder,
Those are very nice looking! Where did you bead blast them? What media?
Felix
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.