Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Testing SIX alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I can run my motor on the bench.
The charging harness is dangling out.
What is the simplest way to verify that it is good before I install the motor?

KT
McMark
I have an oscilloscope we can use. biggrin.gif I'm sure I can figure it out, but if anyone has tips, post 'em.
freezing14
hey guys around here in canada,, we have a place that is called canadian tire,, it is like pep boys or autozone and they offer a free service to verify any alternator,, or any alternator rebuilder will do it for 5$ and it is worth it because they check the rotor the outside winding and the regulator if you bring it
Root_Werks
Trekkor, take any 914 voltage reg and hook it up. It is only 3 wires. Conect the big wire up the battery and just read the volt with the engine running at the battery. The 3 wires on the alt are the same as on the volt reg. i.e. just match them up.

df

d-

d+

Those terms are on the alt and volt reg. So just hook them up and you can test! I think even the wire colors are the same from 914 to 911?
krk
(there's lots of good advice already -- but here's what I did last time laugh.gif)

I took my /6 alternator to a local alternator shop that's about 5 mins from the house. (It was dead, which is why I pulled it in the first place, but they checked it anyway) There are probably lots of places that will check it for you.

kim.
Trekkor
I thought there was a simple way to just stick a volt meter on one of the wires off the harness to get *something*?

I ran the motor this morning. wub.gif
Maybe it's time for a video clip.

KT
McMark
Here we go.

http://www.mztech.fsnet.co.uk/electrics/alt_osc.html

When can I bring my oscilloscope by?
Trekkor
Mark came over with the scope clap56.gif
Thanks, I owe you a burger.

Looks like the alt is dead right now. mad.gif
Couldn't get any voltage readings.
Possible diode failure.
We even took it out and spun the unit. You could hear light tinklings.

I'll take it to a shop for final check.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.