Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Expansion tank decal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
rangrbob
After searching for reproductions with no luck, I made a go at recreating one myself. I thought it came out pretty good. Then after printing a run of 95, I noticed a couple goofs. mad.gif

I'm going to fix the font issues and tweak some spacing adjustments, order up some new foil, then try again.

Click to view attachment
rgolia
I think AA has these
rangrbob
QUOTE(rgolia @ Mar 21 2013, 12:12 PM) *

I think AA has these

They do. I was going to get one, but they did not appear to be the correct color, or made of foil.
tod914
Ah, Caps on your caps. Looks great! Nice job.
dlkawashima
rangrbob, that label looks great. I just want to mention that in addition to the capital C that should be lower case, there is the weird grave accent right after "cap" that's missing from your label. You can see an example of it on Jeff Bowlsby's site:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PLM.htm

IPB Image

It's hard to tell from your photo the color of your label. The reason I mention this is because I've seen repro labels that appeared in photos too green (AA) and too gold in color. The color of the original labels is hard to describe, but I guess you could say they are more yellowish.

And lastly, the 2-liter cars had a slightly different label, the tire size being 165HR15 instead of SR. If you were to do a run of these, I'd definitely be interested in purchasing one:

IPB Image

rangrbob
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 22 2013, 11:04 AM) *

rangrbob, that label looks great. I just want to mention that in addition to the capital C that should be lower case, there is the weird grave accent right after "cap" that's missing from your label. You can see an example of it on Jeff Bowlsby's site:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PLM.htm

IPB Image

It's hard to tell from your photo the color of your label. The reason I mention this is because I've seen repro labels that appeared in photos too green (AA) and too gold in color. The color of the original labels is hard to describe, but I guess you could say they are more yellowish.

And lastly, the 2-liter cars had a slightly different label, the tire size being 165HR15 instead of SR. If you were to do a run of these, I'd definitely be interested in purchasing one:

IPB Image

Thanks. I corrected the grave accent thingy as well, and changed the font on the 5s. Although, I think my color is going to off as well. The decal I took off one of my tanks looked to be much more goldish than yellow, so that's what I went with. The label foil I used is a brushed gold.

I'm going to try and make a few of the versions shown on Jeff's web page. I'll let you know when I get some printed.
nathansnathan
On the left in this the font is Univers Bold (right looks to be Arial, a rip off of Helvetica)
IPB Image

This one is similar but the R has a straight leg - still univers though I think, but a variation.
IPB Image

Font here is "DIN MITTELSCHRIFT"
IPB Image
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 15 2013, 04:55 PM) *

On the left in this the font is Univers Bold (right looks to be Arial, a rip off of Helvetica)
IPB Image

This one is similar but the R has a straight leg - still univers though I think, but a variation.
IPB Image

Font here is "DIN MITTELSCHRIFT"
IPB Image

The very last pic posted on your response is exactly as my original appears (though mine is near perfect). The data is correct and its uppper finish is yellow (not gold). The piping around the decal is correct in the pic.

So, here's the surprise (right!) - early cars varied even with this decal. Yep, it was foil backed. Nope, it wasn't foil face, at least in August 1972. The nice thing about having an original is that it's original - at least for that hour/day.
P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.