Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake lines to master cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dian
i cant get the lines from the reservoir into the master cylinder to seat. when i pulled them out, the gromets were on the lines. so, im trying to press them in, but they wont go in. do i just have weak fingers? or do i put the gromets in first? doesn work either.

it did this 10 years ago, but now i cant.

whats the advice? thanks.
Mblizzard
Took me 2 days to finally get mine in! I wound up heating grommets in boiling water to make them more flexible. I also took the reservoir off the mount to get a little more working room. Even then it took several tries.
mepstein
Lube, screwdriver, drop brake reservoir, curse, more lube, more cursing, success. Grommet goes in before the hard line. Don't forget the washer under the grommet.
PanelBilly
Yes this job is a pain in the ass. It's difficult jot to leverage the lines and press them in place.
Jeffs9146
When I did this along time ago I struggled for so long I ended up having a friend weld some custom made pieces of steal on to my channel lock plyers so I could clamp down on the gromet and pop them in!
rfuerst911sc
Drop the master cylinder onto the ground so you have lots of leverage to push the lines in. Lube the lines with a little brake fluid they will snap in no problem. Then lift everything up and bolt it back together.
dian
so i had the guy that runs a repair shop come in. he tried for an hour. then we removed the washers and the lines went in. what are the washers for?

(we put in the gromet first and pressed the lines in. when i removed them, the gromets stayed on the lines. i would have thought you would install them that way again, but it didnt work.)
mepstein
QUOTE(dian @ Mar 23 2013, 07:17 AM) *

so i had the guy that runs a repair shop come in. he tried for an hour. then we removed the washers and the lines went in. what are the washers for?

(we put in the gromet first and pressed the lines in. when i removed them, the gromets stayed on the lines. i would have thought you would install them that way again, but it didnt work.)

Yes, without the washers, they pop right in. But you need the washers!

Now that I think about it, I might have installed the grommets on the line and then used the screwdriver to push the line and grommets into the mc. If you cant get it from under the car, it might be worth pulling the gas tank, pulling the lines and doing it all on your work bench. Chances are the gas lines could use some r&r while your in there.
Hammy
What are the washers for?
PanelBilly
Take the MC out and do it on the bench. Good idea.
bulitt
Quick comment on this thread.
Remove MC
Remove lines from reservoir.
Place MC on floor or bench
Slide MC grommets/seals over end of lines.
Lube grommets/seals with some fluid
Push grommets and lines into MC.

Feed lines from below up into rubber body grommets and install MC
Connect lines into reservoir.

This worked so well I was doubtful I had actually seated the lines in the MC . Literally took 10 seconds per line to insert in MC. piratenanner.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Hammy @ Mar 23 2013, 01:10 PM) *

What are the washers for?

I never noticed those either. Any insight? Eric?
mepstein
Eric once told me they were needed so I used them. They were in the origional MC of my car so I think ATE also feels they are necessary.

Maybe they keep the line from dropping too far into the mc?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.