Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
Got to go for another drive today. Very nice until we stopped and tried to restart the car. Seems like the battery was not up to the task. Generator seems to be working as the car started right up with a jump.

I will have the battery checked but I was wondering what recommendations were out there for a new battery. I searched and ran across a thread that suggested the optima 34R. But the specs seem to make it a little tall to use and it is $200.

Any other options in a sealed battery with a lower cost?
mr914
Group 42, from AutoZone is what I use. Seem to last 5-6 years for me.

But, I use a Ctek battery maintainer on mine.

Optimas are another optioin
Mblizzard
That seems to be what I have now. I am a little afraid of non-sealed batteries as it is clear that I will be addressing so hell-hole issues in the future.
RiceNeck
This is what I am using and I really like the battery. The car sits alot and it always cranks right up.
Braille ML20C
Weight6.1lbs/2.8kg Length6.8"/173mm Width3.4"/86mm
Height 6"/152mm PCA1152 Ah16 LAH48

Click to view attachment

If I were buying today, I would purchase
Braille GU1R
Weight6.6lbs/3kg Length7.68"/195mm Width5.13"/130mm
Height 7.13"/82mm PCA947 Ah39 LAH48

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Truly amazing the Braille GU1R. But at $450 to $500+ it just seems a little high priced. Unless I have the cost incorrect.
stateofidleness
The one he's using now shows up as $1,500 for me in all the search results. $1,500 for a battery????

http://www.jegs.com/i/Braille-Auto/147/ML20C/10002/-1

rfuerst911sc
Look up Odyssey PC925 I would have gone this route but couldn't find locally and was in a hurry so went with conventional Group 42 with a battery tray mat. Next time I need a battery for the 911 or the 914GT it will be an Odyssey. Decent prices on the web.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Mar 24 2013, 02:26 AM) *

Look up Odyssey PC925 I would have gone this route but couldn't find locally and was in a hurry so went with conventional Group 42 with a battery tray mat. Next time I need a battery for the 911 or the 914GT it will be an Odyssey. Decent prices on the web.

agree.gif

Got mine from "Battery mart"........immediate shipping & killer price.........
KENNY
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Mar 24 2013, 02:26 AM) *

agree.gif great battery .i had mine for 4 years.
mettelman
Bought the Optima for $150 from Amazon. Delivered free in 48 hours! Fits my 914-6 perfectly.
Mblizzard
After much comparison and shopping it was hard to beat the Odyssey PC925. So I went with it!
913B
So does the battery have the ridge on bottom to use the stock mounting bracket. Unless you are mounting or in different location. Thanks for the information.
stateofidleness
Can someone confirm the prices on the Odyssey batteries? The ones I'm seeing are $$$$. Is that right?
championgt1
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Mar 26 2013, 01:00 PM) *

Can someone confirm the prices on the Odyssey batteries? The ones I'm seeing are $$$$. Is that right?

A quick search shows anywhere from $170 and up.
Mblizzard
I found it for $135 at Autoplicity. The gave another 2% for signing up for their newsletter. Shipping was $14.
rfuerst911sc
Here is the battery box I would use if going with the PC925.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant...e=battery-boxes

When I was internet searching found plenty of places in the $140.00 - 150.00 range for the battery.
913B
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Mar 26 2013, 03:53 PM) *

Here is the battery box I would use if going with the PC925.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant...e=battery-boxes

When I was internet searching found plenty of places in the $140.00 - 150.00 range for the battery.

So you cannot mount the PC925 with the stock bracket ?
stateofidleness
What is the best one for our cars? I see a bunch of the PC925's with different letters after them. I'm assuming they're for different applications: L-V, MJ-A, L-A, -A

Is this the right one? http://autoplicity.com/products/264496-ody...tv_battery.aspx
Mblizzard
That is the one I got. The arrangement of the + and - are right and the size is right. And the specs are awesome.
KENNY
This is what I use in the past 4 years . driving.gif
913B
QUOTE(KENNY @ Mar 26 2013, 05:01 PM) *

Kinda hard to tell if there is lip or ridge at the bottom of battery. But I guess if you had it for 4 years there must be some extra material on the side of the battery for the bracket to hold onto ? confused24.gif
913B

Tried to start my car after a long hibernation and guess what battery is dead. I need a battery. So the question is still is there an edge to use the stock bracket. did i see a bungee cord wrap around your battery. Can you please confirm if it can be secured with the factory bracket at the bottom of the battery.

Thanks in advance

Ted
rfuerst911sc
To my knowledge there is not a lip at the bottom front edge of the PC925. In the picture " kenny " posted I think the stock bracket is only holding the battery from sliding towards the engine, it looks like he has a bungy cord holding it down. Most of the Odyssey , Braille and others like them are NOT a direct bolt in replacement, but their advantages of power, weight and lack of leaking acid outweigh the inconvenience of having to make/purchase an adapter mount.
KENNY
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Mar 26 2013, 04:20 PM) *

Kinda hard to tell if there is lip or ridge at the bottom of battery. But I guess if you had it for 4 years there must be some extra material on the side of the battery for the bracket to hold onto ? confused24.gif

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Apr 13 2013, 01:31 AM) *

To my knowledge there is not a lip at the bottom front edge of the PC925. In the picture " kenny " posted I think the stock bracket is only holding the battery from sliding towards the engine, it looks like he has a bungy cord holding it down. Most of the Odyssey , Braille and others like them are NOT a direct bolt in replacement, but their advantages of power, weight and lack of leaking acid outweigh the inconvenience of having to make/purchase an adapter mount.

There is no lip in the battery but the littlle bracket is holding back and down tide . The buggy is just there in case.the bracket is big enough to hold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.