Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hood props/trunk props for carbon fiber lids
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kresdon999
bought a 914-6 conversion with Carbon Fiber front and rear lids- need some help with some aftermarket strut/prop suggestions. The previous owner cut off a fiberglass rod and put a pivot on one end and a rubber cap on the other-but it only supports one side and isn't a very satisfactory setup. The rear trunk lid has nothing-the stock spring arrangement would be WAY too much for the super light lid-so I have to hold up by my head while trying to stow the top-VERY annoying. Help!?!Click to view attachment
dfelz
can we see more pics of these lids, they look sexy as hell!
brant
sticks...
like you have in front
or reinstall metal lids and put springs back on.
Dasnowman
QUOTE(dfelz @ Mar 23 2013, 10:39 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

More photo's of said hood needed and where did you pick them up from?

I know someone on here does gas struts for hoods and know they do a light duty one as well for f/g or C/F hoods!

I favorite everything I think that is cool or info I will need for the 914 at a later date let me have a look around!
Rand
Getty Design makes premium body parts and they work with CF. Their web site only shows fiberglass hoods for the 914, but I'm pretty sure they do them in carbon too.

If you are ok with fabricating you can find gas shocks from something at a pick-n-pull, just gotta find some very light duty ones.

If you want a kit like mentioned above, go to Craig at Camp914.
wndsrfr
Here's what Josh put on Kermee.....you can get the strongarm cylinders at Autozone and I'm guessing the universal mounts as well.....

They measure 18 1/2 inches from center to center of mount pins when extended.......12 inches compressed....

Last time I priced the struts they were about $25 each....
wndsrfr
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Mar 24 2013, 04:53 AM) *

Here's what Josh put on Kermee.....you can get the strongarm cylinders at Autozone and I'm guessing the universal mounts as well.....

mounts.......
scotty b
the problem you're going to have, is that more than likely any off the shelf NEW strut is going to have too much pressure for a galss or CF lid. Try finding a 944, with worn out struts. Those need a lot of pressure due to the weight of the glass. When they wear to the point they won't hold the hatch up, they are still good for a light duty aplication like these lids. I may a have a few worn ones you can have for the shipping cost if you want
kresdon999
QUOTE(dfelz @ Mar 24 2013, 01:39 AM) *

here you areClick to view attachment
kresdon999
QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Mar 24 2013, 01:53 AM) *

I know someone on here does gas struts for hoods and know they do a light duty one as well for f/g or C/F hoods!

I favorite everything I think that is cool or info I will need for the 914 at a later date let me have a look around!

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
just trying to help, they are really hard to capture beerchug.gif
kresdon999
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 24 2013, 01:36 PM) *

beer3.gif

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
I believe Camp914 has them for steel and light weight trunk lids both. I will soon be installing fiberglass lids and will use a simple steel or aluminum rod as a prop.
kresdon999
QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Mar 24 2013, 01:53 AM) *

they were on the car when I bought it- prior owner said his club bought a batch of them to get a discount
ArtechnikA
Go to GolfSmith.com and buy a carbon fibre club shaft.
Putter shafts tend to be shorter and cheaper, irons in the middle, woods quite long. I use a putter shaft for my 911's engine lid. I think it's a little short for the front trunk.
tadink
I used the front springs on their lightest setting for my CF front lid - it works great. so far.

For the rear - I'm eager to hear what the group comes up with - holding the lid up with your head while putting the roof in is a RPIA! I've got the steel rear lid which is surprisingly heavy - cannot wait to change that out to CF as well.

I found my CF front lid on the local Craigslist in SF! lol

keep those ideas flowing - I like the 'kermee' solution best so far!

td
Dasnowman
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 23 2013, 11:00 PM) *

Getty Design makes premium body parts and they work with CF. Their web site only shows fiberglass hoods for the 914, but I'm pretty sure they do them in carbon too.

If you are ok with fabricating you can find gas shocks from something at a pick-n-pull, just gotta find some very light duty ones.

If you want a kit like mentioned above, go to Craig at Camp914.

Yup that's the ones I was thinking of!

http://www.camp914.com/products/shox.html
BIGKAT_83
I used these nascar hood props. It hinges in the middle and puts no force on the trunk lid at all.
Click to view attachment
Chris Pincetich
I use a wooden walking stick to prop my CF lids open.
That "nascar" prop from BIG KAT is awesome. Now I want those!
I bought the Camp 914 light shocks and they sit awaiting the day I can install them.
The wood walking stick prop works great beerchug.gif
tadink
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Mar 24 2013, 11:07 PM) *

I used these nascar hood props. It hinges in the middle and puts no force on the trunk lid at all.
Click to view attachment

ooooooohhhhhhh

I want it
I want it
I want it
I want it

WHERE do you get those? I go past Sears Point all the time - I wonder if the speed shop has those things....soooooo cool.

td
d914
try ebay.. used race parts.. Thats where I got some..
dlkawashima
Picture below of a guy in central California with an ultralight 914. I seem to recall another 914 that had a V shaped trunk lid support that swung down from the lid, but I can't find a picture of it at the moment.

Click to view attachment
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(d914 @ Mar 25 2013, 04:04 PM) *

And here are yours....Just walked out and picked them up in your trunk.
Click to view attachment
tadink
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 25 2013, 01:24 PM) *

Picture below of a guy in central California with an ultralight 914. I seem to recall another 914 that had a V shaped trunk lid support that swung down from the lid, but I can't find a picture of it at the moment.

Click to view attachment

HMMMMM - - -

so what are the cables going from the trunk release to the pop-up lights? Some clever version of the no-motor light actuation?

(and -wow- what a clean car! Is *that* what it looks like under all the dirt!)

td
kresdon999
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Mar 25 2013, 02:07 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Where can I get those? AWESOME solution!
BIGKAT_83
[/quote]
Where can I get those? AWESOME solution!
[/quote]

They are on Ebay all the time look for NASCAR hood props. There are many sellers that have Ebay stores that sell nascar take off parts. I got mine in Mooresville NC at a shop.

Bob
sixnotfour
heres mine, recycled airplane part.. driving.gif
sixnotfour
unlocked and what it started as.. beer3.gif
JmuRiz
That is cool!
The fold-down prop rod above (white car) is cool as well.
GeorgeRud
McMaster-Carr has these pneumatic struts and fittings in a variety of sizes and pressures. I don't know the dimensions of the Camp914 kit, but he may have light pressure struts available.
sixnotfour
low pressure , It has to have enough to hold hood up, pressure which is a difficult formula.....mine lift it locks....lower it lift and slide sleeve down....no pressure, positive... Yup I like mine....smile.gif
raynekat
http://www.rothsport.com/Products/Chassis/...od-Prop-Rod.htm

I've got a couple of these on my lightweight 911.
Should work great on these lightweight lids for the 914 as well.

They have a Porsche part no. as they were used on 993 RS's....so maybe there is a cool factor with this part as well?
stugray
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Mar 25 2013, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(d914 @ Mar 25 2013, 04:04 PM) *

And here are yours....Just walked out and picked them up in your trunk.
Click to view attachment

You could make a set of those with some 1/4" Aluminum plate, a couple hole saws and a jigsaw.
I have a new project now :-)
d914
carbon fiber arrow, heim joint, vacuum rubber cap..
screenguy914
We have offered a carbon fiber support tube for 911s for quite awhile. Eric, one of our forum admins., adapted one to his 914-6 a few years ago. Depending on method of attachment of the rod end to the chassis (or?), different hardware is needed.

If there's enough demand, we can make a 914-specific kit.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Sherwood
www.seinesystems
rnellums
That looks great! I'm in for one.
JmuRiz
Price estimate would help some decide, very cool prop rod! If I go f'glass or CF, I'd get one.
Chris Pincetich
I used a wood walking stick my grandfather gave me as a hood prop when I had carbon fiber lids. Worked great for over 4 years beerchug.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Mar 21 2015, 12:46 PM) *

We have offered a carbon fiber support tube for 911s for quite awhile. Eric, one of our forum admins., adapted one to his 914-6 a few years ago. Depending on method of attachment of the rod end to the chassis (or?), different hardware is needed.

If there's enough demand, we can make a 914-specific kit.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Sherwood
www.seinesystems

You would have thought they would have spot welded on a short piece of tubing on the hood, cut at the correct angle, that the prop would have fit into, to keep it from moving.

At least that is what I am doing on mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.