Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle Body Gasket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Anyone know where I can find the gasket that goes between the throttle body and the plenumn? Pelican or GPR don't carry it. Is it still available or will I have to make one?

Thanks
TheCabinetmaker
NLA. ya gotta make it.
Eric Taylor
yeah, it's not really a fun one to find, VSG 914 is right, it's something you have to be creative with. I'm actually in the same boat as you right now, but I have a different idea than just making one out of gasket material. I was able to find a gasket from a 1.7 bus engine that was brand new. The diameter of the gasket is a little large, so i'm going to cut out a small section and use a little RTV to glue it back together to the proper size. So if you could find a similar gasket maybe you can just modify it like the one i'm gona try and do. Hard to say, good luck!
Eric
Allan
Thanks guys. I'll probably just make one.
type47
inner tubes can be a wonderful thing......
mattillac
an old guy i used to work with suggested to use a manilla folder. i just did some tracing and cutting with a razor knife and it works great. no air leaks, yet...
TheCabinetmaker
Got to your flaps and get some gasket material that is rated for gas. A manilla folder will eventuall desintegrate when exposed to gasoline. And, as type 47 said, rubber will work.
Cap'n Krusty
This is a pretty confusing thread. The 1.7 rubber gasket is smaller and exclusive to 914s and T4s. 1.7 T2s were ALL carbureted, with an interesting pair of single throat solexes with a common idle circuit. There were some 1.8 FI busses and T4s, and a long series of 2.0 FI busses. 1.8 914s had a larger gasket then the 1.7s, and the 2.0 914 (only)had a paper gasket (not rubber like the others). THAT gasket is easily made and probably still available. The 1.7 gaskets are around, used, and should be useable if they're not torn, due to the conical design. The 1.7 intake boots are NLA, but I still see them around in useable condition. The same boot for 1.8s is NLA, and they're really difficult to find. Busses don't use the same boot. FWIW, 912E intake boots are rarer than unobtainum., and nothing else is the same. The Cap'n
brownaar
AutoAtlanta sells throttle body gaskets if you're not opposed to dealing with them.

http://autoatlanta.com/model/914catalog/914fuel1.html

Aaron
confused24.gif
Brad Roberts
Our throttle bodies dont flow gas...

I use Fel-Pro paper.

I had new ones OE up until last week. We are now looking for someone to stamp them out for us.

B
Bruce Allert
Ya know that blue non hardening stuff that is used for sealing tranny fluid leaks on the speedometer drive? Can that be used for a gasket? Spread it thin but thick enough to make a seal. I tried it and it seems to work. for how long I don't know...

Did I do something I will regret??? huh.gif

....b
DJsRepS
Im not saying the manilla folder is a bad idea, if the shoe fits wear it. But any 914 that needs a throdle bodie seal better not have any gas eating at it. My injector's look about a foot and a half away from that seal to me and in the oppsite air flow direction I hope. Go for it even if it rotted and sucked into the motor it aint gona stop it.
redshift
Sucked into the motor? I have seen mostly consumed leaves, and acorns shoot out of running 914 engines..

smile.gif

If she can swaller it, she' can spit it out, Matey! HAR!

-for Dread Pirate Chris- pirate.gif

M
DNHunt
Brad

There's a guy in Port Orchard WA just up the road from me that does custom gaskets. I've heard he makes a lot of stuff for real old time restorations. I'd be glad to go talk to him about some of our stuff.

Dave
GWN7
The guy that started making the trunk holders makes NLA gaskets for boilers. All I need is one good one to show him and get a price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.