Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914RS4 Tube Chassis 996 Suspension Audi 2.7TT Stage 3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Curbandgutter
I forgot to add that I tied both of the truss longs with a rear firewall truss. This will stiffen things up a bit.....torsionally speaking biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Nov 1 2016, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 31 2016, 06:33 PM) *

You gonna tell 'em about the other 2" mod or is that classified? beerchug.gif Kent

That i s"HIGHLY" classified stirthepot.gif

Thought so; Mum's the word. beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
I think you are going to bang your head on the overhead bars on the first bump.
914forme
Mike, he said they where there as spacers right now.

Move them inboard and you can build the B B tribute 914. After all their 928 was a targa also.

Click to view attachment

Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 1 2016, 04:42 PM) *

I think you are going to bang your head on the overhead bars on the first bump.

That's one hell of a bump. I'm 5-4" lol-2.gif
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 1 2016, 05:08 PM) *

Mike, he said they where there as spacers right now.

Move them inboard and you can build the B B tribute 914. After all their 928 was a targa also.

Click to view attachment

Hahaha. I remember those seats. I think Recaro made those?? In seriousness, I'm not too sure I'm going to use the tie bars for the a and b pillars. If they give me a 5% increase in stiffness then I'll use them. Otherwise they're out.
jmmotorsports
when is the work going to start???

jerry
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Nov 3 2016, 05:42 AM) *

jerry

What do you mean? I don't understand your question? confused24.gif confused24.gif
sb914
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Nov 3 2016, 02:36 PM) *

jerry

What do you mean? I don't understand your question? confused24.gif confused24.gif

I think he's joking.you got soooo much done little time.
sb914

jerry

I think he's joking.you got soooo much done in little time.
AZBanks

jerry

I think that was sarcasm but it went right over your head.

(Yeah, I made a short guy joke) happy11.gif
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Nov 3 2016, 06:31 PM) *

jerry

I think that was sarcasm but it went right over your head.

(Yeah, I made a short guy joke) happy11.gif

You're too funny, seems like the sarcasm went over both of our heads. poke.gif I'm actually 6'. It is almost impossible to "read into" sarcasm as you can see smile.gif smile.gif .

Anyway, I was able to get the suspension jig lined up under the 914. I stretched the wheelbase 3". I also raised the suspension jig 3/4" into the 914 thereby lowering the ride height by 3/4" as compared to a stock 996. The cool thing about this is that by lowering it this way, it will retain the stock 996 ride but in a lowered stance and the ride quality will be completely unaffected. Attached are the pictures of the suspension jig in place.
Curbandgutter
Here are some shots of the rear suspension pick up points. I hope to have the rear completed this weekend and then move to the front.
Cracker
smilie_pokal.gif
csdilligaf
Hey! Have you been sneaking in some progress during the work week? Looks good
tygaboy
QUOTE(csdilligaf @ Nov 10 2016, 04:29 PM) *

Progress made during work days!?!? Unfair advantage!! biggrin.gif
(until I retire, that is...)

Tony (Cracker) and I were talking about your build and he pointed out that there may be no other car on the planet that lends itself to such a wide range of modifications. Your build is another (great) example of this.

Awesome progress! I can't to see the wheelbase extend phase of this build.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 11 2016, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(csdilligaf @ Nov 10 2016, 04:29 PM) *

Progress made during work days!?!? Unfair advantage!! biggrin.gif
(until I retire, that is...)

Tony (Cracker) and I were talking about your build and he pointed out that there may be no other car on the planet that lends itself to such a wide range of modifications. Your build is another (great) example of this.

Awesome progress! I can't to see the wheelbase extend phase of this build.

Ha ha ha, yes unfair advantage. I'm not retired however. Since I'm self employed, I sometimes take the time when I need a "mental pressure" holiday. Working on the 914 is a stress reliever for me. And yes aren't these 914s incredible platforms to modify? I've enjoyed seeing your's and Tony's post as well. By the way. the wheelbase is already extended, it's just that you won't be able to see it until the suspension is installed. I'm going to have to modify the rear 916 flares. I think it's going to have a look similar to the Audi R8 in the rear. It will still hold it's distinctive 914 look though. I want this to look like the "next level" 916. It will be about wider that than a typical 916 and the wheelbase will be 3" longer. I'm super excited with the way it's coming together. Thanks for the encouragement.

Curbandgutter (Rudy)
Curbandgutter
Almost done tying the rear into the car!!!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Had to finish early off to my 7th wedding this summer/fall.
tygaboy
Good Lord! pray.gif
Cracker
Rudy - You are doing this the hard way...you should have considered building a tube frame car and simply patch parts of the 914 onto it! blink.gif rolleyes.gif cheer.gif

PS: Have you figured your projected weight? 3500 lbs? shades.gif Mine is a 914 "heavyweight" at 2450...

What engine and transaxle are you planning on installing?

Tony
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Cracker @ Nov 13 2016, 01:00 PM) *

Rudy - You are doing this the hard way...you should have considered building a tube frame car and simply patch parts of the 914 onto it! blink.gif rolleyes.gif cheer.gif

PS: Have you figured your projected weight? 3500 lbs? shades.gif Mine is a 914 "heavyweight" at 2450...

What engine and transaxle are you planning on installing?

Tony

Yes it might have been easier to paste body panels on a tube frame. lol-2.gif

Naaah not 3,500lbs. If I wanted it that heavy I would have just as well gone full bore and tried for a section 179 IRS code exemption. I have a running total of how much weight I have taken off and how much I am adding. Let's just say that it will be somewhere around the weight of your car.

Engine is a coyote 5.0 . Transaxle is currently a G96 off a 996 but I am considering going with a 996 TT transaxle.
Curbandgutter
And.........so we start moving to the front of the car. cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Nov 15 2016, 12:10 PM) *

And.........so we start moving to the front of the car. cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

OK Rudy, at some point, if you keep removing 914 metal, we'll have to require you stop referring to it as "the car"...! Maybe we start a new site for it called "914-ish World"! lol-2.gif

Obviously, I'm just jealous and bitter and wide-eyed at your build and your ability to make massive progress each week. Simply awesome. smilie_pokal.gif

Curbandgutter
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 15 2016, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Nov 15 2016, 12:10 PM) *

OK Rudy, at some point, if you keep removing 914 metal, we'll have to require you stop referring to it as "the car"...! Maybe we start a new site for it called "914-ish World"! lol-2.gif

Obviously, I'm just jealous and bitter and wide-eyed at your build and your ability to make massive progress each week. Simply awesome. smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks for the positive comments......I really appreciate them. I swear "the car" will be undeniably a 914. After this round I need to take the sheet metal off the inside of the rear fenders. The rear quarter panel and back trunk will swing up and back to expose all of the steel tube chassis, aluminum suspension, motor transaxle and 335 rears. I'm hoping to complete the front end today. Then I will move to the 916 flares and body work. Most of the sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif welder.gif is complete. cheer.gif
csdilligaf
And you made a nice place to put a fuel cell. I like that.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(csdilligaf @ Nov 16 2016, 02:16 PM) *

And you made a nice place to put a fuel cell. I like that.

Yep....that is what I meant when you came by and were looking at the front end. It's coming together. I really want to have a roller this month!
Cracker
If you can...use the TT trans.

T
Curbandgutter
Just in case y'all were wondering.......161 lbs of steel have been added and 124 lbs have been cut out. This comes out to a net add of 37 lbs which is basically the weight of an Engman stiffener. At the end of the day it won't be much heavier than a stock teener. cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
Curbandgutter
Does anyone know the weight savings from :

1) Front Fiberglass Hood (21 lbs)
2) rear fiberglass hood (21 lbs)
3) early doors without the heavy crossbar (23.6 lbs)
4) front fiberglass bumper ??
5) rear fiberglass bumper ??
6) lighter battery (10-15 lbs)
sixnotfour
that's impressive..

just for giggles, have you ever see this build ??
http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads...orsche-boxster/
tygaboy
Rudy - Don't forget the weight of the kerf on each of the cuts made to remove 914 metal... You're doing even better than you think! laugh.gif
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 17 2016, 01:29 PM) *

Rudy - Don't forget the weight of the kerf on each of the cuts made to remove 914 metal... You're doing even better than you think! laugh.gif

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif beerchug.gif
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 17 2016, 12:41 PM) *

that's impressive..

just for giggles, have you ever see this build ??
http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads...orsche-boxster/

That's too cool! I have actually contemplated on doing a 996 bug with subie sti motor.....thats next after this 914 is complete.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Nov 17 2016, 09:27 AM) *

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler...Buehler
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Nov 18 2016, 05:00 PM) *

Not exactly but my FG bumpers are under 10lbs.
plymouth37
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Nov 18 2016, 06:00 PM) *

Your work is incredible! smilie_pokal.gif

I posted some of my weight savings here:Post #11
Curbandgutter
Wow, awesome, 26 lb savings with the FG bumpers. Thanks Dane! And what an honor that you think that my work is good. Coming from you that just made my day. w00t.gif w00t.gif By the way, your project was one of the inspirations for my project. I read through every single page and was bummed when you stopped but now am glad to see that you are back on. aktion035.gif aktion035.gif Thanks for your post.
Curbandgutter
Well wasn't feeling it this weekend wanted to finish the front but was too tired from surveying a project the day before. Anyway here are some pics of the progress.

Here is the reinforcement from the factory that many use to feed water lines through. Notice the crazy amount of sand inside of these? Also....the corrosion. Put some paint inside of these whenever you can.

Click to view attachment

Plenty of room to fit in the front "torsinal stiffener enhancer" Click to view attachment

Looks like I need to shorten the strut tower. Click to view attachment

Smokin some briskett Click to view attachment

Can you see "the car" in the background Click to view attachment

csdilligaf
I wondered about needing to shorten the struts. Yours are already adjustable and may in fact go down enough to fit. I am working on shortening my factory ones first if possible. Hmmm! Brisket looks good!
sixnotfour
your looking right at the solution.. Gurney bubble..maybe not..
I'm hungry
Curbandgutter
I'm not sure if the Gurney bubble would take away from the lines of the 914. But yes it is a solution. However I think that with my coil overs and some machining I may not need the bubbles.
csdilligaf
this is what a Gurney bubble looks like in that location.
Curbandgutter
I see, pun intended. Not feeling it though. I wonder what suspension that car has that it would need that??
Curbandgutter
So I've been thinking and came to the preliminary hunch/suspicion that I can't just cut the strut tower height without changing the instantaneous roll center. This would be horrible and would affect the dynamics of the car. I'm going to do some calculations and figure it out. However I'm thinking that I may be confined to keeping the struts whee I have them now and then figure out how to implement it into the car. Anybody have some input????
FL000
Isn't the instantaneous roll center determined by the upper and lower control arm geometry? If that is the case I would think strut tower height is independent of it.
Curbandgutter
I believe that with the Mc Pherson struts you don't have an upper wishbone. The top of the strut tower is considered the upper wishbone location then you hold a right angle at that location and intersect it with the angle of the lower "a" arm.

see this article

https://balancemotorsport.co.uk/suspension-geometry

It appears that as I lower the strut tower it will raise my roll center. This may not be a bad thing, since depending on where the cg is, it may create a smaller moment arm between the roll center and the center of gravity. If this is the case the car will have less lean in the front end. That may help with creating less understeer. I have to think it through. I have to calc what my cg is up front and then what the 996 roll center is and then what the roll center will be if I lower the strut tower elevation. I need to do some calculations before I make a decision.
csdilligaf
I think shortening the length of the strut along its axis will have much less effect than the article shows when the car is simply lowered. By lowering the car the wishbone angle is changed thus effecting the Roll Center. It does not change all that much if you shorten the strut a few inches with out changing the Steering axis inclination. It will change the Instantaneous Center(virtual Point) and I think the rest would still be the same? But I do not have any strut calculation engine so it is just my gut feeling. I just think it has to end up better than the guys who take a 996 and slam it. It will be interesting to see what your calculations come up with.
Curbandgutter
Shortening the strut will be a step in the positive direction as is will raise the IRC approximately 5/8". Good cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif I wasn't feeling those Gurney bubbles at all.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Nov 24 2016, 03:28 PM) *

Shortening the strut will be a step in the positive direction as is will raise the IRC approximately 5/8". Good cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif I wasn't feeling those Gurney bubbles at all.

your smoker started it.... keep up the build popcorn[1].gif
Curbandgutter
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif You're looking right at the solution gurney bubble.....smoker lol-2.gif lol-2.gif just got it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.