Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914RS4 Tube Chassis 996 Suspension Audi 2.7TT Stage 3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
ValcoOscar
Always nice to see updates from you Rudy. Keep that Monster 914 alive!!!!

You will be rewarded!!! red914.jpg

beerchug.gif

Oscar
76-914
I'll be over to make a new pan for my BBQ pit once you receive the bead roller. happy11.gif Good to see your back on it. Which Car Dealership wants your property? beerchug.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Sep 3 2019, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 3 2019, 02:18 PM) *

Not enough steel...add more! biggrin.gif

T

Damn it, I knew it. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

CHASSIS FLEX = 0.0

jd74914
Awesome! I was wondering how you were doing the other day Rudy.

Can you pull the engine/trans package out of the top with those tubes removed?
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 4 2019, 08:47 AM) *

Awesome! I was wondering how you were doing the other day Rudy.

Can you pull the engine/trans package out of the top with those tubes removed?

@jd74914 Yes sir you can. That's why I used those removable welded adapters. It's a tight fit but the engine and transaxle come out of the top. It's kind of unique for a 914.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 4 2019, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Sep 3 2019, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 3 2019, 02:18 PM) *

Not enough steel...add more! biggrin.gif

T

Damn it, I knew it. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

CHASSIS FLEX = 0.0

@Chris_H. or close. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif As soon as the floor is done I will throw on chassis table and twist it like I did before and see what i can get out of it. I'm sure that it will be stiff enough so that I can jack it up from front wheel and be able to open and close the doors. We shall see.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 4 2019, 07:17 AM) *

I'll be over to make a new pan for my BBQ pit once you receive the bead roller. happy11.gif Good to see your back on it. Which Car Dealership wants your property? beerchug.gif

@76-914 yes it will be able to do that for sure. I'll call you when I move into my shop and the roller comes in. Its a Mittler with the industrial motor. And it's a hotel chain that may be buying me out. However attempted to sell to Carvana but they were not ready to move to this area yet.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 3 2019, 02:17 PM) *

Rudy! So good to hear from you. Great to see things are continuing to move along. And I hope the sale or not goes the way you want.

Thanks @tygaboy . Either way it will be good. We're in a good spot...don't need to sell and its a great location. However, if we do sell, then we will build a one-story rambling Spanish hacienda with a massive garage and a forever 360 degree view of city lights 1000 ft above the valley floor. Can't lose either way.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 3 2019, 02:38 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Oscar

Thanks @ValcoOscar ! Hey I may need two pieces for my strut towers to be cut on you r fancy cnc plasma cutter. I can email you a dxf file if you can do it.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Sep 4 2019, 09:43 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Oscar

Thanks @ValcoOscar ! Hey I may need two pieces for my strut towers to be cut on you r fancy cnc plasma cutter. I can email you a dxf file if you can do it.

Send me file....I'll deliver pcs back to you. Maybe we'll meet up with @76-914 at our favorite breakfast joint one Saturday.

chowtime.gif

Oscar
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 4 2019, 10:15 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Oscar

Send me file....I'll deliver pcs back to you. Maybe we'll meet up with @76-914 at our favorite breakfast joint one Saturday.

chowtime.gif

Oscar

@ValcoOscar definitely. Let's do it. @76-914 where you at?
76-914
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Sep 4 2019, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 4 2019, 10:15 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Oscar

chowtime.gif

Oscar

@ValcoOscar definitely. Let's do it. @76-914 where you at?

LMK when. I've got Red Rocks in two weeks but other than that I'm available. beerchug.gif
Sideways
Any updates on this beast?
Curbandgutter
Well after a long hiatus I'm back. I moved the project into a workshop with a bunch of new fabricator tools that I needed to complete. It's on!!
tygaboy
Yaaa Rudy! You're back! cheer.gif I've missed you.

(Phew... I was beginning to worry.)

Now get your ass in gear, dude. We need to see progress! poke.gif
sb914
Hey Rudy !!!
Glad your back ... hope you’re doing good...
Cracker
bye1.gif
Rand
piratenanner.gif
76-914
Wow! Looks larger than you described. I need get over there and check it out. Do we have an "envious emoji"? laugh.gif
Mueller
Nice shop, plenty of space to work on the 914. Glad to see more progress on this car.
FourBlades

Whoooo!!!!

Looks like a nice shop!

John
rhodyguy
You have an incredible number of tool chests.
Blue6
Glad your back. Your thread is fantastic. piratenanner.gif
Blue6
Dup post..
Curbandgutter
I've started building the floor pan Click to view attachment

but I first needed to add the supports for the 914 seats Click to view attachment

and for the Tilton pedal assembly. Click to view attachment

I was able to shift the seats 1-1/2" closer to the center of the car and the pedal assembly 3" further away from the center of the car. As you can see the brake pedal almost aligns with the steering wheel centerline Click to view attachment

By doing this I was able to more closely align the seats and the pedals with the steering wheel centerline. In doing this I found out that I am in need of the seat elevation control tab that attached to the floor pan.

If anybody is cutting one up let me know as I need this part. Click to view attachment

ALSO THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE WELCOME BACK......ITS NICE TO BE BACK!!
76-914
Rudy's shop will give a Tool Whore wood. happy11.gif I've not seen Chris' but I'll bet they are similar. IIRC, @bdstone914 had a car that was being cannibalized a few weeks ago. I'll probably drop by sometime this week while I'm waiting on parts. beerchug.gif
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 20 2020, 07:05 PM) *

Rudy's shop will give a Tool Whore wood. happy11.gif I've not seen Chris' but I'll bet they are similar. IIRC, @bdstone had a car that was being cannibalized a few weeks ago. I'll probably drop by sometime this week while I'm waiting on parts. beerchug.gif

hopefully that IIRC guy still has that part. If he's local I can come by and cut it out of the car.
76-914
we were just texting one another. I'll point him this way.
bdstone914
I have those parts.
I have on on a chunk of cross member and can cut it off.
The driver and passenger brackets are different. Is what you pictured the one you need or the one you have? I am not sure they can be swapped.
The one I have on the cross member is exactly like what you pictured. I think I cut both from the parts car.
Easier to ship unless you like to drive

@Curbandgutter

hopefully that IIRC guy still has that part. If he's local I can come by and cut it out of the car.
[/quote]
bdstone914
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Jul 20 2020, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 20 2020, 07:05 PM) *

Rudy's shop will give a Tool Whore wood. happy11.gif I've not seen Chris' but I'll bet they are similar. IIRC, @bdstone had a car that was being cannibalized a few weeks ago. I'll probably drop by sometime this week while I'm waiting on parts. beerchug.gif

welder.gif
Curbandgutter
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Jul 20 2020, 07:29 PM' post='2835664']
I have those parts.
I have on on a chunk of cross member and can cut it off.
The driver and passenger brackets are different. Is what you pictured the one you need or the one you have? I am not sure they can be swapped.
The one I have on the cross member is exactly like what you pictured. I think I cut both from the parts car.
Easier to ship unless you like to drive

@Curbandgutter

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes cut out entire cross member and I'll "surgically" remove the part I need. And you're right , the driver and passenger are different. I need the passenger side. PM me with price so we can make arrangements.
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Curbandgutter
UPDATE: PEDAL ASSEMBLY AND 911 STYLE DASH

Installed the Numeric shifter. Cut 7/8" solid stock p0lugs and tapped for M6 bolts inserted into tube steel frame by cutting 7/8" hole and inserting tapped round plugs.

Used a sacrificial piece to be able to holesaw the offset round plug
Click to view attachment

Cut all the way through Click to view attachment

Insert round plugs and weld Click to view attachment

Install Numeric Shifter Click to view attachment

Install foot pedal to frame Click to view attachment

Foot pedal assembly is as close as possible to the center line of the steering wheel Click to view attachment

Cut 914 Dash to fit into the tube frame Click to view attachment

Installed Getty Design 5-Gage Dash. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
tygaboy
I love 914 World posts that have virtually zero 914 content. happy11.gif

Great progress, Rudy!
sixnotfour
I Like the
getty 911 topper and 914 lower, when peeps use the whole 911 dash ...Why ?? its a 914
76-914
Somebody is having fun. Looks good Rudy. beerchug.gif
Curbandgutter
WOW, finished floor. Didn't think it was going to be that much work!!
Andyrew
Rudy,

I've got to tell you I think about this car often smile.gif

Love the progress!! Thats a LOT of welding!
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 16 2020, 06:41 PM) *

Rudy,

I've got to tell you I think about this car often smile.gif

Love the progress!! Thats a LOT of welding!

Andrew thanks man. Yeah this was a big milestone. More welding on that floor than the entire build so far.
Maltese Falcon
Rudy's work... "Checks all the boxes" welder.gif !!!
tygaboy
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

Awesomeness! aktion035.gif

Looking REALLY nice, Rudy!
PanelBilly
smilie_pokal.gif
76-914
Looks great Rudy. I need to stop by and see your progress again. beerchug.gif
914werke
Danm how'd I miss this build.. Crazy!!
AZBanks
That is a lot of dimes. Nice welding.
ValcoOscar
Rudy

So thrilled you're still at it. I seem to remember that awesome BBQ you prepared us several years back. chowtime.gif

Hope you and your family are doing well.

Keep us updated on your progress beer3.gif

Curbandgutter
THANKS GUYS,

The body work remaining is

1) make a front trunk
2) tie in rear trunk
3) finish interior long cover
4) make interior tunnel cover
5) flare out front and rear fenders and additional 5 or 6 inches.

suspension work remaining is

6) my son is currently designing and machining the front control arms to include a 3" front track widening and connections to remove strut and transfer to inboard coil overs.

I'm feeling like doing 2,3,4 and 5 first while son does 6. Will leave 1 once I figure out how to vent this thing out. I want to try something different.
Curbandgutter
CHECK OUT THESES LONGS!!! The are accessible now so that I can run radiator, ac and electrical lines in them. I created access. Used nutserts and dimple dies to attach with button head screws.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
this is how I made the shear transferClick to view attachment
the floor is attached to the tube frame now in shear!Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
There are some wildly, wildly cool builds going on right now. And this is definitely one of them. Hat's off on the creativity, workmanship, and direction.

Can't wait to see this hit the road, but enjoying the journey...
Curbandgutter
Update: Completed both removable long covers. Did this so that I can run radiator and ac lines inside of the longs.

Using Langmuir Pro Plasa Cutter to cut sheet metal. I fabricated everything on the table that is painted red. Had to modify the table to my likingClick to view attachment

So I cut out the long covers and a bunch of ac/vent holes that I'm closing up.
I closed every single opening along the firewallClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

I put an offset in the stationary cover so that the removable cover fits close to flush Click to view attachment

Bending longs on magnetic brake Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Adding rivnuts to make it all removable Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

This is what it will look like when open Click to view attachment

This is closedClick to view attachment

This is top view insideClick to view attachment

This is top view outside Click to view attachment

Closing everything up Click to view attachment

This is what is coming next Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Great update Rudy.....

Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year.

Oscar
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.