Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torsion Bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dawg
I know there is a left and right torsion bar.

BUT, when you install them does it matter which END goes in first?

In otherwords - there is a left and right bar.

Is there a front and back also?
JoeSharp
I went thru this and didn't find an answer. I just tried to put the warn spots back where they were.
dawg
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Mar 26 2013, 08:02 AM) *

I went thru this and didn't find an answer. I just tried to put the warn spots back where they were.

Someone has to know. It seems to me that there would be a front and back also, but I'm not positive.
brant
I came to the conclusion, that you want the marking for LR to be on the front of the car, or where they would be somewhat visible after installation.

mskala
Torsion bars are like tube socks; initially they are neither left nor right but after being used, it has been assumed that they take a set, meaning that you are best
to put back in the same side and orientation. The bars have L and R printed on
them to help the user in this regard but they have no special differences when
made.
JoeSharp
QUOTE(mskala @ Mar 26 2013, 10:30 AM) *

Torsion bars are like tube socks; initially they are neither left nor right but after being used, it has been assumed that they take a set, meaning that you are best
to put back in the same side and orientation. The bars have L and R printed on
them to help the user in this regard but they have no special differences when
made.

That is why I looked for the ware and put them back where there were.
Dave_Darling
Actually, they can be swapped end for end--the rotational stress is in the same direction. And, at least according to the late Bruce A., is the reason you keep the L ones on the L and the R ones on the R. Reversing the rotational stress on them shortens their lifespan.

Take a pencil and put an arrow pointing to the side one way on one end, and one pointing to the side the other way on the other end. Then turn the pencil end-for-end. Note which way the arrows point: It's the same direction as you started with.

But if you want to put them in the same direction and the same side, that works fine.

--DD
Socalandy
When mine came out the L/R markings were up front and the rotation arrow in back with the curved arrow pointing outboard.
dawg
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 26 2013, 04:34 PM) *

Actually, they can be swapped end for end--the rotational stress is in the same direction. And, at least according to the late Bruce A., is the reason you keep the L ones on the L and the R ones on the R. Reversing the rotational stress on them shortens their lifespan.

Take a pencil and put an arrow pointing to the side one way on one end, and one pointing to the side the other way on the other end. Then turn the pencil end-for-end. Note which way the arrows point: It's the same direction as you started with.

But if you want to put them in the same direction and the same side, that works fine.

--DD

perfect - totally get it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.