Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backing up my daily driver and I here a loud pop.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falconfp2001
I pull into the drive and wait until the sun is up enough to take a look at the car. It looks ok so I back it up planning to jack it up and this is what I see.
Click to view attachment

I checked under and the inside suspension console where the a-arm attaches snapped off. Hard to get picks but I knew it was toast so I pushed it back in the driveway. Gonna have to get the bug running and find a good shop.

Any suggestions?
ThePaintedMan
The console itself broke or the pivot shaft running through the trailing arm? One of them you can fix in a weekend at home. The other will require some serious repairs. That wheel is really toed in.

Need some better pictures of what's going on, but that was a good (and lucky) catch for you!
mepstein
All too common on the east coast. Restoration design sells a replacement console. Find someone good to do the welding. Good chance that there is other repair needed.
URY914
You have a big problem. sad.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 26 2013, 09:54 AM) *

All too common on the east coast. Restoration design sells a replacement console. Find someone good to do the welding. Good chance that there is other repair needed.

agree.gif

Do a search here, there's plenty of threads to read through ...
welder.gif
falconfp2001
Better pics. It looks like it rusted from the inside out. I'll have to find a local shop that can cut it completely off and replace with a new console.

Click to view attachment
falconfp2001
From underneath
ThePaintedMan
Holy crap! Yup, that is the more expensive and time consuming of the two failures possible. Unfortunately it means the engine/trans needs to come out and replacement pieces sourced. Hopefully one of these guys who is closer to you can find you a good shop. Do not drive it anywhere, obviously. It will have to go on a flatbed. Even THEN be careful since there isn't much keeping the rest of the suspension in place.
SirAndy
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Mar 26 2013, 02:05 PM) *
It looks like it rusted from the inside out.

That also means there is more rust than you can see.

My bet is that the whole side around the hell hole is more or less swiss cheese by now.
icon8.gif
falconfp2001
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 26 2013, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Mar 26 2013, 02:05 PM) *
It looks like it rusted from the inside out.

That also means there is more rust than you can see.

My bet is that the whole side around the hell hole is more or less swiss cheese by now.
icon8.gif

Its an Arizona car so I'll have to get it on stands and check but there wasn't really any indication of rust underneath. Just the Floor pans replaced because of rusting out but not a whole lot of water getting trapped anywhere. I've had the engine and transmission out three times and used a poker but never broke through or found any weak spots. The Hell hole is dirty but not rusty on the surface and I can wipe the dirt away and there is good paint. So, I'm hoping it is just this one location. parry.gif
442nd914s
I had the same problem with the drives side, but I fixed it before I placed back the engine after being rebuilt. Unfortunately I dont have a before picture to show, but here's an after picture. I bought the part used from someone that was parting out a donor car. AA sometimes has used consoles for $150ish, new ones for $800ish. Restorations design also has them available. On the positive side, the passenger side is more common and more available. A grinder and good welding skills is recommended. Click to view attachment
As you can see, the paint difference shows the replacement part.
Dave_Darling
You want a good jig to make sure the new part is in the correct location, or it will make your alignment wonky and tough to set.

--DD
02loftsmoor
I glad you weren't at speed when that broke yikes.gif

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Mar 26 2013, 04:06 PM) *

From underneath

brant
I've ripped 2 of them out at the track back in the day
neither was rusty

the 2nd one was a brand new part that had been in for 12 months (same side twice)

I would never put a used one in
800 from AA ?
more rip off tactics if you ask me
Completely makes sense if its from AA

failure on the track takes the cv cage with it when things strech
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 26 2013, 04:25 PM) *

You want a good jig to make sure the new part is in the correct location, or it will make your alignment wonky and tough to set.

--DD

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif That is an absolute.

My right rear console broke back in '78 after an autocross, and I trailered the car to Stoddard Porsche in Willoughby (Ohio), as they were one of the earliest shops to have seen this specific failure. Having the suspension components set to exact factory specs is a must.

The attached pic shows my 914 during the aforementioned autocross. You can just make out what appears to be a bit of rear misalignment. Just like what you experienced, when I got home and began backing up into the garage, the right, rear suspension collapsed. sad.gif

Paul
Socalandy
Kent replaced mine and took lots of measurements and a jig to reinstall. His shop is in Torrance and I told him about it. If you want to use him for the repair he's good to go but I agree more rust will be found. here's some pictures of the replacement for you to see whats ahead.

Just PM me and I will give you his info welder.gif
442nd914s
I came across this in my search:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=113186

Hope this helps or gives you more ideas.
gms
I have this part unused for $175 shipped to you
Chris H.
That's a very good deal.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 29 2013, 08:03 AM) *

I have this part unused for $175 shipped to you

I'll take it. Paypal? Send me a PM

Thanks

Frank
falconfp2001
All I need is someone to offer me the engine tray at a reasonable price.

piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.