Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drove 100 miles to lean, any damage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
sad.gif Well I took my 2.7 cis teener into the shop to have a tune, they did the top valves, (bottoms to soon be done, need to drop the motor and machine the covers ect) and picked it up last week. I failed emissions prior to this something like 4% CO... Well He told me it would now Pass cause it was at 1.8 CO and after the test to bring it back to him for some more tuning. I drove it home and put it away, Seemed to run ok, and a little popping on decelration. Well That Was last week and I decided to drive down to a vw show over the weekend, I put about 120 miles total on and she popped the whole time. I am a newbie and am paranoid that I ran her too lean. I called him this morning and he said yes she was running lean and he thought I was not going to drive her until after the smog test and I brought her back for a readjustment. I said he never told me that. Car never went above 185 degrees but I did run up to redline. Could I have caused any damage. Please remember I'm a newbie, and a paranoid one at that. Ferg.
Scott S
Yes, It's totally ruined. I will give you 1000.00 for it....
wink.gif

Hi Ferg -when are you taking it back in to him? You sure were not driving it hard, I cant imagine that it would have had anything happen to it.

Good Luck!
-S
SirAndy
as long as you had enough oil in it.
too lean will eventually burn holes in your pistons,
but you'll need much more than 120 miles for that.
(ask me how i know) sad.gif

(oh, and ask me for the "quick-fix" to at least get home when you just burned a hole in your piston) smile.gif

later,
Andy
Gint
I doubt you did any damage. It's not something you want to do long term, but for 100 miles or so, should be no biggie.
Ferg
blink.gif Thanks guys I needed some reassurance, cause when I called my mechanic I got the "oh I thought you were going right to get it emission tested", and "didn't I tell you I set it up lean" comments, that did not exactly put confidence into him, but he said it was not super lean and that it was no biggie. But that's coming from the guy who did not explain everything to me in the first place. Oui. I promise pic's very soon BTW. Ferg.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.