Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-Keying Door Locks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
I've heard that a door lock can be re-keyed by changing the pieces in the lock but I've not seen the kit or the parts anywhere on the web. I'm tired of using one key for the door and another for the ignition. Also neither key fits the passenger door and trunk. Can the door and trunk locks be re-keyed?

Thanks,
Spoke
TheCabinetmaker
Yes, by your local locksmith, Or if ya have the pins from 60 different locks, ya prolly got enough to do it yourself.
scotty914
heres the poor mans method

take the lock a part, take out the tumblers, install key you want to work, install a tumber up side down in one slot at a time till the slot in the tumbler lines up with the out side of the cylinder. on a peice of paper mark that tumbler to the slot. do this with all the tumblers till you run out of ones that fit right. when you run out of tumblers that fit right take the rest and install them in a slot where they fit close. if they are too short they are not as secure a against a different key but the will be better than no tumbler. finally the ones that are too tall just install where ever and when you reassemble the cylinder with the tumblers in the right spot, put the key in and any that stick out of the cylinder file em down till they are flush. comgrates it will work

or mail em to me with 5 bucks and a return envolope and in one day i will mail em back. btw i have 25 or so spare tumblers so i can get it even closer

this will take about 20 mins a lock after you do a few

if the admins want i can do this and take a bunch of pictures and write it up much better for a tech article
Ctrout
Yes, you should be able to do it yourself if you have enough of the right pins. I think there are like 4 or 6 different sizes, numbered accordingly. Just write the pin sequence for the cylinder that is keyed with the key you want to use then rearrange the pins in the other cylinders to match. I think that Pelican or someone even has an article on how to do it. It's really easy.
aircooledboy
I checked with a couple pretty big locksmiths in this area, and they both told me they didn't have any, wouldn't even know where to get tumblers to fit confused24.gif

So idea.gif , I did it myself monkeydance.gif
McMark
You can take out some or all of the plates. You compromise your "security" somewhat, but you can now use the same key for everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.