Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How high must the rear of the car be raised?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rpmmaxxed
Having hand surgery on Friday, I'm kickin myself in the bootyshake.gif for not doing this sooner...

Installed the motor only a couple thousand miles ago, and I must have installed the rear main seal bearing wrong somehow because its leakin...

Never removed just the tranny from the car before, and wanted to make sure its as easy as it looks. Can it be done with just the rear of the car up on stands?

I dont have ramps unfortunately, but are going to start lookin...

Thanks to anyone who shouts out some previous experience.

gratis

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(rpmmaxxed @ Mar 28 2013, 12:05 AM) *

Can it be done with just the rear of the car up on stands?

Yes... Not hard at all. Ramps under the rear wheels would work too.
mepstein
agree.gif ramps under the rear wheels give you plenty of room.
stugray
I just pulled one of those seals out last night with the core out and it was a bitch even without the drive-shaft in the way.

I imagine the only way to pull it with the shaft in (without hurting anything) is with a dent puller and some wood screws.

And while we are on this topic:
The old seal had a nice lip on it so it was obvious how far it should go in.

IPB Image

On the top is the old, bottom is new

The new seal does not have that lip, SO:

Does it press in all the way to the recessed lip, or left sticking out a bit so that the throw-out bearing guide can press it in the last bit as you snug the two nuts down?
You can see the lip where the old seal used to press against.
New seal is in the pic for reference.

IPB Image

Stu

r_towle
Yup, simple.

Jackstands
Remove
clutch, speedo cables
muffler
shifter rod
CV joints
Back up light wire
starter

remove all four bolts at motor, put jack under motor near the rear to pick up the wieght...or it will fall.

I can still do this...
remove rear bolts holding tranny up to body.
lower jack under motor until tranny clears rear sheet metal at bumper
Pull hard

I put an old crappy couch cushion on the floor...or me (seriously)
Its 75 lbs, maybe....
I can pull it off on my back and slide out with it on my chest...
Or, use another jack, pull it off and you are done.

rich
r_towle
transmission ground strap.
That sucks when you forget it...its at the rear top of the tranny.

Rich
AE354803

Let me know if you need a hand lol-2.gif getting this thing out, I'm just down the street. I have a trans jack also that worked really well removing my engine.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 28 2013, 03:32 PM) *

I just pulled one of those seals out last night with the core out and it was a bitch even without the drive-shaft in the way.

I imagine the only way to pull it with the shaft in (without hurting anything) is with a dent puller and some wood screws.

IPB Image

Does it press in all the way to the recessed lip, or left sticking out a bit so that the throw-out bearing guide can press it in the last bit as you snug the two nuts down?

IPB Image

Stu

Uh stu, hes talking about the rear main seal on the crankshaft. Not the trans input seal.
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 28 2013, 03:30 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 28 2013, 03:32 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

Stu

Uh stu, hes talking about the rear main seal on the crankshaft. Not the trans input seal.

Correct, but I'll be damned if those seals are not nearly identical. Especially when it came to the condition of old. I was slightly thrown off by the new seal looking different.

Thanks to all ya'll for replying.

*Update* Shop I ordered the seal from "cant find record" of my ordering it yesterday, which was supposed to have arrived first thing this morning. Soooo, this little project will be on hold till I can use my hand again. Thanks to all that responded...
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE(AE354803 @ Mar 28 2013, 01:56 PM) *

Let me know if you need a hand lol-2.gif getting this thing out, I'm just down the street. I have a trans jack also that worked really well removing my engine.

wise- bootyshake.gif
stugray

IPB Image

Oh! well.......... that's completely different..... Nevermind! lol-2.gif

Guess when you are working on something it gets stuck in your head.

Stu
914outlaw
Are these the only steps needed to remove the transmission without taking out the engine also?
Do you have to disconnect anything in the engine compartment that might be stretched from lowering the engine?

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 28 2013, 04:34 PM) *

Yup, simple.

Jackstands
Remove
clutch, speedo cables
muffler
shifter rod
CV joints
Back up light wire
starter

remove all four bolts at motor, put jack under motor near the rear to pick up the wieght...or it will fall.

I can still do this...
Pull hard

Its 75 lbs, maybe....

rich

euro911
I hope you bought a Victor Reinz seal ... there's been a rash of new Elring seals that leak prematurely recently dry.gif

Ask me how I know shades.gif
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE(dpires914 @ Mar 28 2013, 11:42 PM) *

Are these the only steps needed to remove the transmission without taking out the engine also?
Do you have to disconnect anything in the engine compartment that might be stretched from lowering the engine?

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 28 2013, 04:34 PM) *

Yup, simple.

Jackstands
Remove
clutch, speedo cables
muffler
shifter rod
CV joints
Back up light wire
starter

I can still do this...
Pull hard

Its 75 lbs, maybe....

rich

All that, and the Tranny ground strap.

Sooo, It's midnight. I have to wake for surgery in 6 hours, and I'm popping off the valve covers to swap out for new gaskets. I guess im hoping that it will help with some of my oil leakage, or that I just hate the fact that come morning, I wont be able to tinker on the car for a lil while.

The last year of my life has been a POS, injury after injury keeping me out of work, and everything along the way seemingly an uphill battle. Including this damn car. But alongside all the cursing, wondering why on earth I bought another 914 knowing how much time I would spend underneath it, and general headaches that they can bring, has been a smile.

These cars, and the people so enthusiastic about them on this forum, has helped me get through a real rough patch.

Startin to get a lil dreary and I havent turned a wrench yet, so, thanks.

Thanks to all of ya out there that makes part of owning these awesome cars so great...
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 29 2013, 12:04 AM) *

I hope you bought a Victor Reinz seal ... there's been a rash of new Elring seals that leak prematurely recently dry.gif

Ask me how I know shades.gif

The one I installed was an Elring headbang.gif Go figure. Good to know anyhow cause it will be getting replaced asap...
barefoot
Remember, once you remove CV joints, having the tranny in gear DOES NOT prevent the car from rolling on your ramps.
MAKE SURE emergency brake is set
I learned this the hard way !! headbang.gif
euro911
Pick up some of those $8 wheel chocks from HF

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.