Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shoebox in Sacramento area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
Anybody out there ever hear of a signal orange 914 named the shoebox in the Sac. CA area?
Old AXers ever see it put thru its paces when it was owned by Larry Wilson or its current owner Tom Kroetz?
Any information or recolections any of you have of this car would be appreciated.
Anybody remember what PCA class it ran in?
It was originally set up by Dwight Mitchell many years ago when he still had his shop.

Thanks wink.gif
Randal
Signal orange 914 called the "orange crate" maybe?

Driven by Tom Provosi?

Or the 911 set up by Dwight that won nationals, currently owned by Pat Costin?
DanT
Nope, Not Toms car or Dwights 911!
Nice try Randall. this car was a 4 banger 2.0L 914 from sac area called shoebox. Car has been very infrequently driven over the last 10 years by its current owner. Actually has been Concoursed fairly recently. have been led to believe it is very clean and low mileage.
Hope to see some pics of it sometime soon. smile.gif
VegasRacer
I raced with a guy who had a 1960 something Mini Cooper he called "The Angry Shoebox".
DanT
Nah,
we are talking a signal orange 2.0L 914, 1974 I believe, that was called "shoebox" by it's owner at the time. Car has always been in the Sacramento, CA vicinity as far as I know.
When I get some pics of the car I will post them. I was just trying to see if anyone had recently seen the car at any event or ever seen it run at an AX. Possibly at a SVR CRAB weekend.
Hoping it was built to PCA-GGR rules for Bi or BP classes. Hopefully I will get some pics and info soon.
unsure.gif
carreraguy
Hey Dan:

Welcome to the Club! I'm in Almaden Valley too! We'll have to get together sometime and compare cars!
DanT
Tom,
Is that a real live club sport?
My current ride is a '99 Boxster but I have owned 3 914s in that past. An original owner 1970 1.7L Blood Orange, under 70K miles when I bought it. Then a 1974 2.0L metallic green, and then an original owner 1970 914-6 with a 2.7L Carrera RS motor. What a rocket on the track!
Anyway I have been looking for a new "toy" for the last 4-5 weeks and am hoping the Shoebox is the right one if I could only get the current owner to send me some pics before I make the trip to Sac to check it out. I live over near Castillero middle school just near Almaden Country club course. cool.gif
Mueller
welcome Dan....

I used to live off of Redmond over in that area...i got my 1st speeding ticket for going faster than 25mph in front of Castillero (dropped off my little brother who went there...in fact there are about 15 or so model rockets we lost due to them landing on the school roof smile.gif )
Steve_7x
Dan,

The car you are talking about was owned by Larry and Pat Wilson. They are long time SVR members. Larry used to race speedsters and FV in SCCA back in the day. Larry was always very fast with that car.

Shoe Box was sold to another SVR member whose name escapes me at the moment.

Back then it ran in EP which is the equivalent to BP today (GGR/Zone 7 Rules)..

Hope this helps...

Steve
DanT
Thanks Steve,
That is exactly what I was wanting to find out. The current owner is Tom Kroetz, he contacted me about possibly buying the car but has yet to send me any pics of the car. Rich McGlumphy is good friends with him and says he tends to procrastinate. Anyway I have been led to believe by Rich and Tom that the car is very very good, rust free and still in great competitive shape.
Hope to see something of it soon. I might just have to go up there and take a chance.
Since the weather has been so good I was hoping he would get the car out and take some pics for me.
I was hoping it was set up as a Production car. That is what I want for AX and TT duties.
Thanks again Steve biggrin.gif clap56.gif
carreraguy
Dan:

Yep, its a Club Sport. My Teener is low mileage '76 I bought at Dunkel's last year; now all I need is a 928 to complete my P-car collection! I'm in Oak Canyon across from Guadalupe Elementary; PM me and we'll have to meet up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.