Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outside driver's mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Littlebritishcars
The driver's side mirror on my 73 has the shakes. The body of the mirror, etc. is tight - it is the mirror glass that is shaking in the unit. Is there a way to fix this? It appears if I removed the outside gasket, the glass will come out so I could glue the back of the mirror to the base but I don't want to do anything until I know for sure. I do not want to mess it up and then have to spend over $200 for a new mirror

Thanks

Bob
Steve Snyder
Bob,

The mirror glass sits in a plastic holder in the mirror body, and is secured with the black plastic gasket you mentioned. The components are shown here: http://www.p914.com/p914_mirrors_side-late_components.htm.
You can remove the glass by removing the outside retainer as you suggested. If your glass is shaking, you are probably missing the interior plastic part that holds it (or that piece is damaged or the glass is not properly fitted). Hope that helps.
Littlebritishcars
Thanks Steve - that helps a lot. Will break it (no pun intended) apart tonight and see what is needed.

Bob
michael7810
Bob - please update after you take your's apart. The mirror on my 72 is vibrating on the highway making it impossible to use at night.
Littlebritishcars
Will do

Bob
Dave_Darling
The plastic retainer tends to be pretty fragile after a few decades in the sun. Be super careful with it!

--DD
rpmmaxxed
Also, sometimes it is not the contents of the mirror causing the glass to rattle. I had always assumed that is what my problem was, but when I finally went to do something about it, the pivot point that actually attaches to the side of the mirror was simply worn out. I set it to where I need it to be for my driving position, and I used a small ring of Qwik Steel(Similar to JB weld, but easier to work with in this application), and it took care of the issue.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.