Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ready to Remove Back Pad to Change Seatbelt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
Before I go on, I must say that compared to my MGBs, removing the seats were so freakin easy. I have owned BMWs and Mercedes Benzs for many years, but I have only realized how smart these Germans are when it comes to engineering.

So I am ready o remove the back pad. I know that after removing the screws in the bottom, I must lift up and out to get the back pad out. I must also disconnect the vanity light connection, but what about the lid release knob?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Mar 28 2013, 10:37 PM) *

Before I go on, I must say that compared to my MGBs, removing the seats were so freakin easy. I have owned BMWs and Mercedes Benzs for many years, but I have only realized how smart these Germans are when it comes to engineering.

So I am ready o remove the back pad. I know that after removing the screws in the bottom, I must lift up and out to get the back pad out. I must also disconnect the vanity light connection, but what about the lid release knob?

Yes you need to remove it also. Unscrew it by pulling the knob then use something to hold the line and turn the knob.
914socal
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Mar 28 2013, 10:37 PM) *

Yes you have to disconnect the lid release knob. It should unscrew counter clockwise. It also helps to unscrew the lower set belt at the body.
ejm
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Mar 29 2013, 01:37 AM) *

I know that after removing the screws in the bottom, I must lift up and out to get the back pad out.

The tabs on the back pad slide up into the brackets on the firewall. To get the pad off pull the bottom of the pad forward so you can slide the back pad down.
JawjaPorsche
Stating the obvious: You will need to remove your seats and center tray too. Someone on 914World turned me on to removing the seats without unbolting. Just slide the seats as far as possible to the dash, then reach under the adjustment track and push up and continue to push the seat forward. It will slide off completely! I wish I had learned that sooner! biggrin.gif
SUNAB914
Make sure you label your seatbelts (L&R) and don't loose the washers. Keep everything in order.
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Mar 29 2013, 05:20 AM) *

Make sure you label your seatbelts (L&R) and don't loose the washers. Keep everything in order.

good tip. I have luckily caught myself in the middle of installing the wrong belt on one side...
type47
Kaduku
I did not know I had to remove the center tray too blink.gif

Thanks everyone!

TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 29 2013, 08:20 AM) *

Interesting post Jim. poke.gif happy11.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Not necessary to remove seat belts to remove backpad.
Kaduku
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 29 2013, 07:45 AM) *

Not necessary to remove seat belts to remove backpad.

I am trying to do the opposite.

Valy
I hope you're not trying to install retractable seat-belts on an early car originally fitted with fixed ones.
The firewall is different.
Kaduku
QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 29 2013, 10:38 AM) *

I hope you're not trying to install retractable seat-belts on an early car originally fitted with fixed ones.
The firewall is different.

73 with retractable. The replacement seatbelt is from a 74, am I good?
TheCabinetmaker
All good.
Kaduku
HELP.......... okay got everything off. How do I get the new seat belt to un-retract? It is not installed yet.
Dave_Darling
It has to be vertical, like it would be in the car. There is a pendulum that actuates the locking mechanism, intended more for detecting deceleration than tilting.

--DD
CG-914
hijacked.gif
Removed the back pad before and everything
agree.gif no seatbelt removal necessary!

Any tips for fixing the retracting mode?
Mine are hard to pull out, they stop all the time...
Kaduku
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 29 2013, 08:36 PM) *

It has to be vertical, like it would be in the car. There is a pendulum that actuates the locking mechanism, intended more for detecting deceleration than tilting.

--DD

Well, I bolted them on then grabbed the belt with two hands, braced my foot on the threshold and pulled like hell. w00t.gif

Slowly but surely it started to loosen. It took a few times to pull it back and forth until it retracted freely. I now have a working driver's seatbelt aktion035.gif

The only small thing is that my new one is chrome (NOS from AA) at the top loop and the passenger side is black. The plastic cover does hide some of it but not all.

Next step while the back pad is off is Dynamat.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.